Ultimate Dreams Mattress choices

supparo and Phoenix - I just got my Ultimate full size mattress earlier today and I am busy setting it up (box is my size). It went out last Wed and arrived today, Monday. I had also sometime ago ordered an 8" memory foam mattress which I sold unopened to someone living near me so I may have some comments about that too. I had decided against keeping mattress #1 for several reasons so turned around and purchased the Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress (#2) while it was still in transit.

so far box is: 56x15 squared, approx and while I have what roughly was called a bed mostly stripped down- the dog just ate some chunk of memory foam that was still on the frame. I had better “get cracking” :slight_smile:

Hi PrincessanthPea,

That must have been one hungry dog :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments once’s it’s all set up and “tested”.

Phoenix

Phonix and all: OMG well I had some specifics to do before I could set the mattress up on the metal frame- my different but serviceable headboard of tri-fold foam mats had to be put back in place - I have the mattress up on the frame however I had difficulty with the plastic and I think I heard air whooshing in- I don’t see a piece of paper and of course I wouldn’t pause to look online once I am determined, at 4ft 10" to do something I do not dare stop. But it appears the mattress unrolls upside down so turning this around is going to be quite a feat :slight_smile:

There were no incidents getting it out of the box which weighs 65- the mattress is 60lbs., according to data on Amazon. There is no odor that I can currently detect. > WHEW I turned the mattress over and hardly any odors but I do have allergy this time of year. The enclosed latex pillow cover had more odor to detect than the mattress; the mattress and pillow both were nearly inflated before I could get the whole project turned over but it is in place and looks great.

It feels WONDERFUL- so far no new bedding - all cotton mattress cover is on it now so tonight I will sleep with my old pillow for reference; not the latex pillow yet as I want it to set 24 hours away from my lungs before I try it out. My chaweenie has given the mattress his approval after romping on it then found a myPillow and took a nap. I already like the feel of the latex pillow- it is heavier than my other pillows including myPillow… I took the very soft plush outer covering of the latex pillow off before I put my case on- I feel the outer covering gives an unfair tryout advantage over other pillows. The inner cover appears to be all polyester which surprises me and I’m curious as to why.

I was talking to the person who bought my memory foam mattress unopened- he insisted on putting the 8" mattress on top of his old mattress and box spring which made it about 31" high; somehow he went to do something and fell off the bed so finally he took his old mattress off. He put his old mattress in another room. He states that his shoulder no longer hurts but maybe it is because he fell out of the bed. He says the memory foam is already getting softer too. His only problem is trying to get up and out of the thing.

I laid on my new mattress with nothing on it. Already I am in love. After I put a cotton pad on it I laid on it again…nicer still. It currently measures about 9.5 inches and rounded at the edge which I happen to like just fine, being short. It isnt saggy though. I know I am going to sleep better tonight than I have in a long…long…time.

Have you received your Aloe Alexis yet? If so - what has your opinion of it thus far been? Thanks.

Hi PrincessanthPea,

Thanks for the ongoing updates. Sometimes people have a style of writing that makes it easier for others to really “feel” what they are feeling and your feelings about your mattress certainly shine through :slight_smile:

I know it probably wasn’t funny when it happened but I couldn’t help but laugh when I read this. Now that’s what I call a “monster mattress”!

Thanks again for the updates and I’m looking forward to more of them.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix.

We slept 4 days on our new Eco Rest latex mattress with my old 2.5" memory foam topper, after initially feeling lack of giving of the mattress alone. Gradually I am get my back pain back - today is as worse as sleeping in my old memory foam mattress that we replaced with this Eco Rest latex mattress. It puzzled me because I sleeted on that 2.5" memory foam topper over my futon mattress for more than a month without back pain.

What seems to me is that this 6" dunlop new mattress does give as a core more than my cotton futon mattress. My husband’s weight (200lb) might also contributed to deeper sinking feeling that affected my back and side sleep position. ( I was on futon bad alone for a month to avoid back pain). With our old 12" memory foam mattress we never heard any noise from the flat bed frame but now we do if we toss and turn. So now we are not sure if we should add a few inches harder core material under this mattress (it feels very low now compare to what we had) and if so, what should we get? Or, a thick firm topper will fix this?

Thank you and looking forward to your advice. We can’t return this Eco Rest latex mattress so we have to deal with it.

Hi hubbs,

I would remove the memory foam topper and sleep directly on the Eco Rest for now. A topper will work very differently on different types of mattresses underneath them and a futon would typically be much firmer than your Eco Rest. On the Eco Rest … the 2.5" memory foam topper could be unsuitable for you and allow your hips/pelvis to sink in too far even if it worked on the firmer Futon.

I mentioned in a previous post …

So I would take things one step at a time.

I would first sleep on the Eco Rest mattress by itself so that you can adjust to it somewhat or at least find out how it feels and performs for a few nights at least so you can use your experience on the mattress itself to decide on the type of topper that would be most appropriate as your “ideal” combination.

Phoenix

Thanks to everyone for all the useful information. My only decision remaining is whether to get the Amazon version without a zipper for $600 or the Zipper version for $760 (assuming the 5% discount works). I think I’m sold when the next paycheck arrives.

Hi jjford,

As you know already … IMO both of these are great value. Just in case you haven’t seen it, the main pros and cons between them are in post #2 here (except Brooklyn Bedding mattresses have a return policy and the layer exchange costs are lower than the Eurotop on the Amazon site).

I’m looking forward to hearing about what you decide.

Phoenix

Phoenix: I forgot to mention one little thing about the person I sold the 8" memory foam mattress to- he is nearly 71 and on the stubborn side. I dare not argue with his logic (!!) of insisting on the triple layering. I think it simply slid too much as he got in and out. I knew it was going to happen :wink: When I am feeling better I will be seeing if he needs some kind of pad to cool down the mattress; he says its warm now and it isn’t even spring. I just hope he does not turn sorry he bought it from me.

I have been sick, within 24 hours of setting my wonderful new bed up- I gratefully collapsed in it when some sickybug hit me and have been in it ever since, terrific Valentines day- hot toddys, Vicks, cough syrup and bed so I have had a chance to review:
It was for the best to go with the 7 and I think 7 gives just right support and softness. I am sleeping on my side just fine and have no numbness in the hips nor while sitting. I love the lightly doughy feel, no sinking to the bottom (and staying there) Though I am used to being tormented by mostly hard beds I can tell now that I would sink a bit too much in generall had I gone for an 8, I say in general because …

Due to fibro sensitivity fluctuations and my tendency to pull muscles (groin and Achilles heel are the most recent things) I am thinking of putting a soft topper on one side for sure and oh…one thing I still notice is when on my back there is more pressure on my heels than I would like; I have been dealing with neuropathy (due to 1. Long Term taking of Metformin for diabetes, 2. prior neuropathy and 3. from diabetes itself) so some solution is needed for my feet. The new mattress doesn’t make this worse however.

I just talked to bed owners of a brand name PLUSH TOP conventional mattress and they were interested in mine! Why? because it was LOSING ITS PLUMP so quickly. They paid more than twice as much as mine, too and I am told the mattress has a “hump in the middle” I guess I’d better send links.

I don’t think anyone would be sorry with this mattress of course but for those used to costlier things in general thats fine but I know many people are pretty much like me, need good sleep.- have tried different mattresses that don’t work through ones whole life- on a modest budget and need extra help finding one that suits. I think many of us just think you pick out a bed and get the same kind when you finally wear out the one you have. We think nothing of growing out of the kind of car we drive, changing clothes styles, colors, tastes in music and more - but we get in to the same damn bed!

The dogs give the Ultimate Dreams Mattress in a 7 - all paws UP! The chaweenie stole the latex pillow. And Princess is sound asleep. me too. zzzzz.

Hi Sleepy1,

Something that may be worth considering for the heel pain is a wool topper such as some of the ones in post #3 here. They may just give you the more point specific relief you need without the risk of alignment issues that can go with a softer foam topper and they can reduce shear forces as well (forces that tend to stretch soft tissues). A good quality wool mattress pad or topper is also very ventilating and can be very helpful with these types of issues.

Another type of topper than may help with this is something like the conforma toppers here where there is either a softer heel zone or a taper that can reduce heel pressure.

I think all of this is very true. What is often forgotten is that no matter what the value of a mattress that someone buys … that what they will end up remembering most about it over the years is how well they slept on it and how long it provided them with quality sleep much more than what they originally paid for it.

Thanks again for all your comments and updates :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, thank you so much for the suggestions for my sore heels. It seems to me the conforma may work best for a taller and larger framed person who mainly sleeps on their back, I think- I tend to sprawl all over in not-so-conventional free spirited manner and have been seen sleeping diagonally with legs hanging off. but the zone idea is still good and doable.

I could create my own zone of wool construction just across the width of the bed in the lower third. I’m not sure I like the idea of wool over the entire top of the bed.Be nice if they’d sell various topper yardage by the linear foot in convenient widths, haven’t seen this idea yet but it sounds great.

Hi Phoenix,
We did sleep on Natura Eco Rest mattress without any topper for a while now and my husband would really prefer to add a topper to be more comfortable as aside sleeper. As for me, trying to sleep most on my side, I have lower back pain only on the right side, but pain is lesser than sleeping on my memory foam mattress. We did add a St. Dormeir Wool Mattress Protector.

I am not sure what the best step to take now - how thick or hard a topper would work for both of us? a wool topper or natural latex topper? What do you think the choices here:

Natura 2nd Organic Comfort Wool Topper Queen
http://www.organicsleepproducts.com/natura-2nd-organic-comfort-wool-topper-quee2.html

BioSleep Concept Organic Wool 3-Inch Mattress Topper
https://www.amazon.com/Concept-Organic-3-Inch-Mattress-Topper/dp/B004S2CC34/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=38PBFKNM2XV8W&coliid=I5I4SENTNY50W

Plush 2" Talalay Latex Topper Mattress Pad - 100% Natural Latex
https://www.amazon.com/Plush-Talalay-Latex-Topper-Mattress/dp/B006UTQ7G6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_4

3" Queen Natural Latex Mattress Pad Topper

Thank you.

hubbs

Hi hubbs,

As you know … I can’t feel what you feel on the mattress so I can only provide you with more general suggestions about which topper may be better for you and help with “how” to choose rather than “what” to choose but there are some guidelines in post #8 here which may help you decide which topper may work best or which you may prefer. It also links to some good sources for wool toppers as well (post #3 here).

Unless you have the chance to specifically test the combination you are considering … the choice of a topper will be based on your own “best guess”, your intuition and your “gut feel” about what you think will work best for you. It may also involve some trial and error. I would tend towards materials you are more familiar with and have actually tested.

Without this … I would also suggest talking with various suppliers so you can “educate” your intuition, gain some confidence about what each choice may feel like without actually trying it, and see the “patterns” that are common to their suggestions. this will give you more confidence in your choices.

Wool will add some cushioning to your pressure points (more if it is thicker vs thinner) and will tend to be firmer than most foam … especially when it compresses over time … but it’s also among the most resilient of the fibers. There’s more about this in the “wool topper” link. It’s a great choice for those who like the ventilation, pressure point relief, and overall “feel” of sleeping on a thicker layer of wool and it has less risk of alignment issues than thicker layers of foam.

Latex will usually feel a little softer and provide more overall pressure relief along the larger surfaces of the body and will have a more resilient feel than wool. Keep in mind too that if you choose latex that you will need a cover and that the sheets and protector won’t be enough by themselves to prevent the latex from breaking down more quickly with exposure to air and light.

I would also consider the refund policies of any of the sources you are considering just in case you aren’t happy with your choice and factor this in with the risk of trying a combination you haven’t tried in person.

A good “average” choice would be in the range of 2" (a “fair bit”) and you could use the guidelines to change this in the direction you think would be most suitable.

I know that it can feel like it’s just as difficult choosing a topper as choosing a mattress but the more people you talk with (at least that are knowledgeable about the materials they sell) the more you will lower the risk of choosing a topper you haven’t tried and the easier it will be to make the choice that is best for you. Without personal testing, nothing will replace talking to people who are knowledgeable about the products they make and sell and seeing the “patterns” in their suggestions.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

After reading your response, I feel a wool topper would be a safer choice for me. I am in Oregon and thought it would be nice to buy local - the “Bio Sleep Concept” wool topper is made in Portland. Its 3" organic and about 196oz of organic wool, so it seems substantial for under $400. Do you have knowledge of this company and its products? Just want to verify before buying as I don’t see a lots of reviews for them.

Thank you!

Congratulations it really looks like a great mattress! As it turns out, have one- maybe TWO people interested in mattresses from this company. Should I win a lottery I believe I’d love to upgrade and have this my ultimate dreams in a guest room but then again, I am already quite attached to what I have - but I just can’t wait to hear what you think of it!

Hi Hubbs,

I know a little about them (part of it from research triggered by your post and part from previously).

BioSleep Concept is based in California and has been selling wool products quite some time. They used to use Pure Grow wool from Vivetique but have recently switched suppliers and are now selling wool products made by Welcome to Natural Felt Co. which is a sister company to http://www.cottoncloudfutons.com/onlinefutonstore.01/ and to http://sleepysheeporganics.com/ who recently bought a woolen mill. They are based in Portland and are now expanding and supplying other companies as well.

BioSleep Concepts also has just started making Dunlop latex mattresses as well (in the last month) which they are selling online. So their wool products comes from Sleepy Sheep and their mattresses are their own product.

In other words … both BioSleep Concepts and SleepySheep have both been making products for years but both are now working together and introducing new products and/or services. Based on my conversations with Christian at BioSleep Concepts … I would have no hesitation in buying his products (whether he makes them himself or they come from someone else) if they were the best “match” for you in terms of PPP and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you.

The wool topper you are considering seems to be good value and looks like a good choice to me :slight_smile:

If you do buy it I hope you have a chance to give us your feedback.

Phoenix

Update!

I received my mattress about 2 weeks ago and was very happy with how the mattress itself turned out. The moment I took it out and it started to unravel, I noticed the quality right away and it was top notch and felt and looked like a premium mattress. I would not hesitate to buy from Brooklyn Bedding again. The team over there is a pleasure to deal with and communicate with you every step of the way.

Now unto my problem. As I’ve been sleeping on the bed for a little over 2 weeks now I’m still waking up with shoulder and hip joint soreness and some lower back soreness which dissipates as the day goes on. I’m not sure if this is because the bed is to soft or two firm. In terms of Brooklyn Bedding the bed is considered soft as the layers are at an 8.

As I stated previously I’m 5’7 and around 145lbs and I would consider myself to have wide shoulders. Is there a sure fire way to tell if a bed may be to firm or to soft for you?

I’m going to start going through the process of exchanging layers and was hoping for some advice. Thanks!

Hi supparo,

Shoulder and hip pain can indicate a sleeping surface that is too firm if they are pressure related but they can also indicate an alignment issue if the mattress is too soft and the joints are being hyperextended by sinking in too far and not in their “neutral” position. The lower back pain points to this as well so these may be connected. Shoulder or upper body issues can also indicate an issue with either thickness or softness of a comfort layer or a pillow issue as the distance between your head and the mattress may have changed.

The first step would be for you to decide whether this was an issue of pressure relief or alignment but given that you are on a softer comfort layer the odds would indicate it was more connected to alignment at least as far as the hip and lower back issues. You also may be dealing with two completely separate issues (shoulders and hips) with two different causes.

I would need much more information than is possible on a form to “diagnose” any issues on a mattress though other than providing you with more generic possibilities or some insights about what may be happening and encouraging you to work with the people who made the mattress.

If your shoulders are wider than normal then besides your pillow, comfort layer thickness can also play a key role. In other words your shoulders may need to sink in further than they are (or your head may need better support) and your hips may need to sink in less than they are. This can seem contradictory (seems to indicate both the need for softer/thicker and firmer/thinner) and it can take some intuitive analysis for you to decide on the best course of action. The reason they are both possible is because while the shoulders are wider and lighter and need to sink in relatively more … they also have less surface area than the hips so the weight there is more concentrated until you sink in enough that the torso begins to take up weight.

Unfortunately there are too many variables to have any sure fire way to diagnose mattress problems based on “theory at a distance” outside of your own personal experience with either testing or sleeping on a mattress and to look at the “preponderance of the evidence”. It’s also not just as simple as 'too firm" or “too soft” because it would depend on what “type” of firmness or softness you were talking about (see post #15 here), along with layer thickness, layer softness, and the combination of all the layers in a mattress and how they interact together and with you in each of your sleeping positions (which I don’t know and could make a significant difference as well).

It seems to me though that the “odds” say that under your hips is too soft/thick and I would begin there and then deal with the shoulder issues either with changing your pillow or based on your experience with the change under your hips/pelvis and deciding then what to do with the remaining issue. It’s usually best to work with one issue at a time and first deal with alignment and pillow issues before dealing with the rest. If you purchased one of their mattresses with a layer exchange possibility … then the first step would be to talk with them so see what they suggest as well but if it’s possible then it seems that a firmer choice would be going with the odds.

Phoenix

Thanks everyone for the reviews. I’m really liking this bed!!!