Ultimate Dreams Natural Latex Mattress compared to a Beautyrest black pillowtop

HI, I had to laugh- I looked at the picture and went “hmm” then I saw your words CUT THAT SUCKER APART… yes I can imagine your frame of mind- you had nothing to lose really, Hopefully you can handle the bed as it is long enough to be able to choose your next one wisely. I went for the Ultimate Dreams Latex mattress and I’m really enjoying it.

A question- was all the problem from those top layers? Were you able to check and see if any of the pocket coils were broken or defective? I’m just curious. It seems truly sad that some very expensive mattress sets end up landfill soley due to the top few inches of the things. Seems like a lot of work goes towards elaborate upholstery design of them, fabrics etc - just to hide the often poor quality and thoughtless design underneath.

You already have some of the basics to DIY a new mattress by reusing your components and buying a quality latex layer… is that what you may be coinsidering? (that is, if the core foam and memory foam layers are worth scavenging for building a new one)

Hi Phoenix, thanks for all the good information on the website. I wish I found it sooner. I added the photo with Internet Explorer , attached the file then embedded in the post. It did not work with chrome.

Hi Princess, well i’s better now that I removed all that soft foam. I could not really check the springs because the foam core is glued to the memory foam and the whole thing seems glued down to the springs. That mattress is supposed to have a 20 year warranty~ doesn’t really help if they don’t really honor it. I’m not going to spend more on this one and try to make it better. I’m not sure how long it will last and I am going to try it out for a while before buying a brand new mattress. When I do I will get a latex mattress for sure. Crazy thing is that went from a 15 year old Sealy Posturpedic extra firm which I loved and was still good. It was a Queen and I moved to a CalKing. They just dont make mattresses like they used to.

Wow, Im really glad i didnt go with the black series now. I think you’re right about them not making mattresses like they used to, my parents have a pillowtop (not sure of the brand) and its still very comfortable 10 years later.

Hi speedsurfer,

Thanks for the info on the attachments. I’m hoping that it’s just a bug in the current software version and when I upgrade the site and forum software that the attachment issue will resolve but if not I’ll have to do some digging.

That’s for sure! The last 15 years or so have seen some really negative changes in the industry.

Phoenix