Ultimate Dreams or Ultimate Dreams: Freedom with Customized layers

Hello Phoenix and all,

I’ve decided I want to order a Full mattress for my toddler from DreamFoam Bedding. I’ve had numerous conversations with Mario and Chuck so I’m feeling comfortable using this company. Made in the US and all materials are certified. Thanks for bringing this company to my attention in a previous post.

Can you give me your opinion on which would be the best choice between the two for a toddler? There’s more latex in the Ultimate Dreams: Freedom and more foam in the Ultimate Dreams.

For the Ultimate Dreams - What firmness level would you pick?- they recommended a 5 - “Cushion Firm” but I am able to go to a 4 which is a little firmer.

The Ultimate Dreams: Freedom comes with soft, medium, and firm and you can play around with the layers as child gets older.

I understand there is some foam / unnatural materials in the covers but it’s US materials & been proven non-toxic so I feel it would still be safe for my toddler. Do you think so?

Thanks!

Hi katieweisberg,

There are too many individual variables and preferences involved for me to make specific suggestions and the “best” choice would be the one that you are most comfortable with and that you consider would be the best “value” for you. Any mattress that is in a medium firmness range or slightly firmer and that uses materials that are durable enough (which both are) and “safe enough for you” and that you are comfortable with the materials inside it would make a suitable choice for a child and as you mentioned all the materials in both mattresses are certified for harmful substances and VOC’s (Oeko-Tex for the latex and CertiPUR for the polyfoam)…

I would choose the firmness level that they suggest since they would have more experience with their mattress than anyone else.

If I was choosing this mattress I would probably ask for firm, medium, and medium layers and avoid the soft. The synthetic latex they use is Oeko-Tex certified and as you mentioned having individual layers means you could replace a single layer down the road if it becomes necessary as your child develops more adult proportions.

The question of “how safe is safe enough for me” is specific to each person or parent and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices (just like some people may choose an organic or even a vegan diet and would consider other diets to be “unsafe” for their children) … but for most people polyfoam that is CertiPUR certified would be “safe enough” (see the children’s guidelines in post #2 here and post #2 here).

IMO … either one would make a suitable choice so your final choice (see post #2 here) will really be a matter of your own “best judgement” based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thanks! Appreciate the info. It’s overwhelming buying a mattress!

If the platform bed frame that I want has Full size dimensions are 79.5 inches length x 58.5 inches wide will it be way too big for full mattress at Dreamfoam Bedding which is 74x53. It’s 5.5 inches in both directions which is like 3 inch gap on all sides. Is this normal for full mattresses? Having trouble finding a smaller bed size. Thanks again!

Hi katieweisberg,

The dimensions you listed would fit a queen size mattress (which is about 60" x 80") not a full size mattress and a queen size platform would be more suitable for a queen size mattress.

As you mentioned it would be both wider and longer than a standard full size mattress so there will be a gap all around the mattress if you use a full size mattress on a platform bed that is made for a queen size mattress.

Phoenix