Ultimate Dreams support foam question? and suggestion between 2 mattresses

I’ve been looking at the DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress, however a reviewer states that they quietly downgraded the support foam from 2.35 lbs to 1.5 lbs. Would this significantly affect the performance of the mattress?

I’ve also been comparing it with RMM’s Sunrise 8", but the over 3" of memory foam on the top has me worried about its lifetime as well.

My budget is rather tight (gunning for ~$700-800 including this cheap foundation). I weigh 140 lbs, which seems to be a big factor in how long memory foam survives? RMM appears to have a 90 day return policy, which should be a safe way to test the mattress, so I guess they have that going for them. Would the return policy be voided if I don’t use their foundation?

edit: After reading your posts about the Ultimate Dreams support foam change, I wanted to edit my title to not be negative.

Hi iRFNA,

You can read my comments about that particular review and their use of 1.5 lb polyfoam in post #108 here and the posts it links to.

4 lb memory foam is a medium density memory foam that for most people would have reasonable durability and wouldn’t be a weak link in a mattress unless they were in a higher weight range (around 200 lbs or higher) at which point I would reduce or minimize the use of memory foam under 5 lbs. With your lower weight lower density foams would be more durable than they would for higher weight ranges.

You can read more about the different factors and variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress in post #4 here and the other posts it links to.

This would be very much an apples to oranges comparison because memory foam and latex are as close to “opposites” as it’s possible to get in two different foam materials (see post #2 here). I would suggest some local testing on each type of foam so you know which one you tend to prefer although both of these are members of this site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry and are both good quality/value choices.

When you are considering an online purchase then the exchange or return policy (including any costs involved in returning or exchanging either individual layers or the complete mattress) can be an important part of your personal value equation and is certainly something that I would factor in to the value of a purchase.

Generally no as long as you are using a suitable foundation that meets their warranty criteria but it’s always a good idea to verify this with the manufacturer or retailer themselves.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would also suggest reading the tutorial post here which includes the more important information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice.

Phoenix

Thanks for the response, you’re awesome!

This is probably an often asked question, but the general words in the name make it hard to use the forum search on: is the “hyper flex foam” on the top of the ultimate dreams mattress going to degrade easily? I’m moving away from a plush (I guess “eurotop”?) extremely cheap mattress, which as you can imagine started degrading rather quickly. Is the hyper flex foam going to last a year? Years?

Can I assume that the soft talalay latex comfort foam will sorta behave like a fresh pillowtop/eurotop mattress top? Except maybe bouncier? The site describes them both as behaving elastically, as opposed to the weirder memory foam behavior. I really like pillowtop/eurotop mattresses for the first day and am not quite a fan of the whole sinking into a cradle deal.

Hi iRFNA,

The guideline I generally use for lower density polyfoam (such as the reflex foam they use) in quilting layers is “around an inch or so or less” of lower density foams. They are quilted which compresses the foam and improves durability and they are thin and soft enough that any further softening will have a minimal effect on the overall performance of the mattress. Once quilting materials are 2" or more I would want to know the density of the quilting foam to make sure they aren’t a “weak link” but in thinner layers they are there for the “feel” of the layer and wouldn’t be a significant factor in the durability of the mattress.

That would depend on what materials were in the pillowtop or eurotop you were comparing it to. A pillowtop or eurotop mattress (or a tight top) is just a method of construction and can use any material or have any “feel” the manufacturer designs into the mattress (see post #2 here). They are generally softer because of additional layers of padding but a tight top can use the same thickness of padding materials as any other construction so it’s always the specifics of the mattress materials that makes the biggest difference.

Both latex and polyfoam are fast response materials but in general latex is more resilient (springy) than polyfoam. Memory foam is a slow response material that feels very different from both.

The softer and thicker the comfort layers are the more deeply you will sink into them regardless of which type of material is used.

Phoenix

Well, bringing this thread back nearly 5 years later to talk about my experience and a question.

After the advice I received here, I purchased an ‘Ultimate Dreams Queen 3" Talalay Latex Soft Mattress Topper’, with an ILD of 19. I popped that on my 6.5" innerspring mattress (after removing the cheap foam on the top which had degraded), and got a maybe a bit too firm but quite workable mattress.

5 years later, I’ve noticed the the middle of the mattress has a bit of a divet, and I went to investigate. It turns out that the 3" latex topper is the reason for the divet? I took it all apart and tested each component, and it’s the latex topper that has degraded significantly after only 5 years.

Is 19 ILD latex supposed to have significant wear after only 5 years?? For reference, I weigh 140 lbs.

Hi iRFNA.

[quote]After the advice I received here, I purchased an ‘Ultimate Dreams Queen 3" Talalay Latex Soft Mattress Topper’, with an ILD of 19. I popped that on my 6.5" innerspring mattress (after removing the cheap foam on the top which had degraded), and got a maybe a bit too firm but quite workable mattress
5 years later, I’ve noticed the the middle of the mattress has a bit of a divet, and I went to investigate. It turns out that the 3" latex topper is the reason for the divet? I took it all apart and tested each component, and it’s the latex topper that has degraded significantly after only 5 years…[/quote]

I chatted with DF and your topper has 3-year warranty that they offer. It would unusual to find a manufacturer that offers more than 5 years for a topper because the mattress that the topper is placed upon also has a great impact on its durability and also because the topper is usually under much more mechanical stress than a latex layer that is enclosed and part of a mattress.

[quote]Is 19 ILD latex supposed to have significant wear after only 5 years?? For reference, I weigh 140 lbs.
[/quote]

There is no way to quantify how long a topper will last for a specific person or predict exactly when you will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for you (this is the only real measure of the durability and useful life of a topper that really matters) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person (including their weight, their sleeping positions, their preferences, the firmness of the topper, and the specifics of the mattress under the topper). If a mattress/topper combination is well within a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft (which yours at 19 ILD is) (see post #2 here ) then it would probably be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime somewhere in the range of 5 - 10 years.

Your topper helped extend the life of your mattress for another 5 years and for a soft Talalay topper it is reasonable to expect to replace it when it softens or breaks down and loses the comfort and performance that was the reason you purchased it.

Phoenix