Ultimate dreams vs. sealy Hybrid

We are looking for two mattresses:

1. 10 year old son…how do we decide between the Ultimate Dreams 10 or 13" bed off amazon vs. our local furniture store Sealy Hybrid Trust firm or Sealy Bay Island, or Tempurpedic Simplicity? He liked the Hybrid bed for initial feel. That bed is twice the cost of the Ultimate Dreams. Just not sure whether the extra cost is justified? He is a small 10 year old, and thought the Tempurpedic Simplicity felt kind of hard.

2. Queen bed for my husband and myself. We loved the feel of the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe. Would the Ultimate Dreams hold up like a Tempurpedic?

I have to admit I’m leary or ordering online. It’s a little scary, what if we hate it? Will it hold up like a furniture store bed?

Thanks for any help,
Jennifer

Hi jennidrew1143,

A mattress is only as good as the materials and construction that is in it and without knowing the details of all the layers it’s not possible to know the quality or value of any mattress. It’s the job of a good salesperson to tell you the quality of every layer and component in a mattress but unfortunately in most cases they won’t even know them and have no idea of the quality of what they are selling. Post #2 here would also be worth reading.

I can tell you though (and you can see in the first guideline here) that I would tend to avoid all major brands who all tend to use much lower quality materials in every budget range or are much more costly in any apples to apples comparisons than equivalent or better quality mattresses made by smaller independent manufacturers that are sold either factory direct or through smaller sleep shops.

I would also consider avoiding memory foam for a child that is still growing. Post #2 here has links to most of the better posts and threads on the forum that are about mattresses and children and includes some good sources for children’s mattresses (and Dreamfoam / Brooklyn Bedding is certainly one of these although I would tend towards their latex rather than their memory foam mattresses for children).

Yes … the durability of a mattress is connected to the quality of the layers in it and the Dreamfoam uses very similar density foams to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe. You can read more about the many factors that are involved in the durability of a mattress in post #2 here and post #3 here.

Finally … the most important post on the forum when you are starting to look for a new mattress is post #1 here (in case you haven’t read it). If you read the information it links to and follow the step by step guidelines, the odds are very high that you will end up with a mattress that has great quality and value and will match all your specific needs and preferences for a long time.

In the case of this mattress … quality and durability is certainly not an issue. They are one of the manufacturers that were invited to become a member of this site which means that I believe they are among the best quality and value in the country. The biggest issue with an online purchase where you know what is in the mattress is not quality or value but making sure it is suitable for your needs and preferences. In the case of the Dreamfoam … you have the advantage of being able to test a mattress that is similar and widely available locally … but I would encourage you to do some very objective testing rather than just lying on it for a few minutes and seeing how comfortable it is (which is one of the worst ways to buy a mattress and generally leads to a worse choice than even random chance as you can see in this study). In many cases … “furniture store beds” or at least the major brands they sell are a big part of the quality, durability, and value problems in the industry … not a solution to them.

Phoenix