ultimate dreams

Hi, maybe you could provide me with some information. I am considering the dreamfoam eurotop latex 12" mattress and the 13" gel memory foam mattress. The 13" includes a 3" layer of gel memory foam (4lb.), and a 2" layer of memory foam (5lb), and a 8 inches of base foam. What density the base foam is, is not stated. The 12" latex does not state the (lbs) of the latex layer, and includes 8 inches of base foam at 2.35 lbs. First, do you happen to know the (lbs) of the base foam in the 13" memory gel- or is that not important, and second, do you know the (lbs) of the latex foam in their 12" latex mat., and third, the stated 2.35 lbs of base foam on the latex mat. is less than your recommended 4lb density. So I am a little confused. Is the base not as important as the top layers? I know dreamfoam bedding is a member of this site. Do both these mattresses meet your criteria? Thanks for your time…

Hi cks,

All the specs about every layer of a mattress are important and they will be happy to tell you this when you talk with them. They are completely transparent about all the materials that they use. I believe (although I don’t know for certain) that their mattresses on Amazon use the 2.35 lb polyfoam and their new line on their own site uses 2.15 lb Omalon (which is a lower density polyfoam but more of a specialty or high performance foam which has a better feel and performance).

The density of latex is not important because it only determines the softness/firmness not the quality and you can choose the ILD (how softness and firmness is rated with most latex) when you talk with them to make your comfort choice. With polyfoam and memory foam density has little to do with softness and firmness but with latex the type and blend of the latex determines its quality and the density determines its firmness. In other words … with memory foam and polyfoam density is a quality spec and with latex it’s a comfort spec which varies with different ILD’s.

The 4 lb guideline is for memory foam which is a very different and denser material than polyfoam. With polyfoam I would suggest a minimum of 1.8 lbs in a base layer (unless you are in a very low budget) and slightly higher is better even though the base layer is not usually the weak link of a mattress.

The base layer is just as important as any other part of the construction and design of a mattress and is responsible for the primary support of the mattress (the support that “stops” your heavier parts from sinking in too far). While it’s not typically the weak link of a mattress and a lesser factor in durability than the comfort layers … it’s quality and performance is an important part of the overall design of the mattress. All of their mattress not only meet but exceed my criteria and like all the members here are among the best quality/value in the country.

Hope this helps with sorting out the different specs for different materials which I know can be confusing :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for your help. I went to the Brooklyn Bedding site. Their mattresses seem to be four to six hundred dollars more than the two I’m looking at on Amazon. They are beefed up a bit, with more inches of comfort layer and an inch or so less of base foam layer. The mattresses on their website can’t be found on Amazon, so I guess dreamfoam is a Brooklyn Bedding dba company. So if I buy from Amazon, am I buying a “poor man’s” brooklyn bedding mat? Am I doing myself a dis-service by not buying the real deal, or are the mattresses on Amazon really good mattresses in their own right. Their stellar reviews seem to say they are. It’s time to buy a mattress and I want to get it right. We’re going to have to live with this for a number of years, so would I be better served to spend the extra money up front? Thanks for any thoughts…

Hi cks,

That depends on which mattresses you are comparing and how close the comparisons are because the lines are different.

Their own site doesn’t have an equivalent to the 13" gel memory foam mattress and I would look at this without comparison.

The closest equivalent to the Amazon Eurotop latex mattress is the Cotton Camilla on their own site which is $100 less (in queen size).

You can see a comparison in post #2 here.

Yes … their Amazon site was a “launch platform” until their own site was upgraded with their new line and they are now moving from one to the other although there will still be some remaining on Amazon. Their site will focus on their mattresses with customized and exchangeable comfort layers.

Yes (they are very good quality/value in their own right) and No (you would not be doing yourself a disservice). They are exceptional quality and value (and like any mattress this can be known by knowing the details of the materials in the mattress). They are just different than what they will be selling on their own site and Amazon was and is a way to “build the brand”. This was part of their plan from the time they first became members here (when only their amazon site was a member because their own site wasn’t ready yet).

I think the forum feedback about Ultimate Dreams is another way to answer the question but knowing the layers is a much more “accurate” way to know the quality or value of any mattress.

No matter which direction you go with their mattresses you will have good quality and value. I would also talk with them in person because they can give you the most insightful advice and like all good manufacturers they are more focused on your satisfaction than they are on their own profit. The advantage of the 13" gel memory foam mattress is that there is a local mattress you can test that can help you know it’s suitability for your needs and preferences (it’s just a bit firmer than the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe which can be a guideline). The advantage of either the Eurotop or the Cotton Camilla is that the comfort layers are exchangeable if you need to adjust them to either a softer or a firmer version. As you go up the line from there you are either adding a higher quality cover with wool and it’s benefits (humidity and temperature regulation) or a more costly latex transition layer (6" of latex instead of 3") for improved performance.

Phoenix

I am new to this so I hope I am posting in the right spot. I am looking at getting the total latex from ultimate dreams.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Total-Latex-Mattress/dp/B00AAL0J4G/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1362630206&sr=1-7

What are your thoughts on this bed? Would the Eurotop be better? We had a temp cloud supreme breeze for 100 days. We bought it because I sleep hot. It ended up being too hard and I woke up very sore. So I am wondering if latex is right for me. I am in Austin and will go and lay on one. I just want to know if total latex is far superior than the mixed. Great site!! Thanks for all the info.

Hi txmj,

I switched your post to your own thread so they don’t get confused :slight_smile:

Brooklyn Bedding (the manufacturer of the Dreamfoam line) is a member of this site and like all the members here I believe they are among the best quality and value in the country.

The Total latex mattress and the Eurotop are an apples to oranges comparison and the choice would be a matter of your own preferences and budget and what I call your own personal value equation which is all the things involved in any mattress purchase that are most important to you. You can see some of my thoughts about the difference between a latex/polyfoam hybrid (the Eurotop) and an all latex mattress (the Total Latex Mattress) in post #2 here. They also have an “in between” version where the top two layers are latex (and both can be customized) on their own site here.

I think your idea of testing any material you are unfamiliar with locally first is a very good one and I would always suggest it before making an online purchase of a material or type of mattress that you are not familiar with. I would also make sure you talk with them on the phone because they will be your best source of information about their own mattresses and all the differences between them.

You’ve probably seen this but some of the options you have in the Austin area for latex (and other materials) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

thanks for your help…