Ultra/Very Firm Mattress recommendation, Coil Pocket

Just can’t sleep on my softened latex mattress anymore as my lower back protests. And don’t want to deal with softening and cheated/expensive latex.

Any recommendations for a very firm queen size traditional mattress in the Ottawa area? Any good values out there? Thanks.

Hi bn880,

Remember, the comfort level of any mattress will be unique to those sleeping on it based on their stats (height, MI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and their PPP(Posture and alignment, Pressure relief and Personal preferences). You don’t provide any of your stats or the type of mattress you currently have, or how long you have had it, but I can certainly understand your lower back pain may be caused by your current mattress wearing out. While all mattress materials wear with time, Latex is one of the most durable mattress materials, if you take a look at theMattress Durability Guidelines. It may be that your needs/body has changed over time and your current mattress is not providing the support and comfort you now need, or you possibly needed a different comfort level when you bought it, and now it’s wearing … it is less and less suited to you. You also may want to take a look at the Mattress Specifications You Need To Knowto see how various components affect the sleep system as a whole. You may also want to read our article on The Pros & Cons of Latex to better understand what you are looking for.

As far as local showrooms and retailers, you can take a look at This Article on identifying a good mattress retailer; while we do not provide geographic listings of mattress retailers due to the upheaval in the retail sector in the last few years, This Post does have a recommendation for Obasan (formerly SleepTek) on
Colonnade Road in Nepean, who carry a number of organic latex mattresses. If you are considering purchasing online, many of the Trusted Members of the site offer firm latex sleep solutions such as TMU Trusted Canadian manufacturers such as CBH Wood Furniture, [url=https://mattressunderground.com/list-all/item/dormio-organic-beds] Dormio Organic Beds , and MFC . Also you have quite a selection of US mattress manufacturers that ship to Canada, such as Gardner Mattress who carry a range of organic latex mattresses in multiple comfort levels, or Magic Sleeper who carry a Queen Luxury Firm Latex Mattress or take a look at the Katherine Latex Firm offered by Member Quality Sleep Shop . If you provide a little info on your Stats and PPP and your mattress history, any of our Trusted Members can help you to choose a mattress which will be firm enough for you, and durable for many years.

I hope this helps,

~ Basilio

I’m not interested in Latex mattresses. I think the topic title was pretty clear with that.

Even if I provide my personal details, it will leave several questions where you can’t recommend a specific mattress, I know, I have seen all the threads.

So I am just looking for recommendations on a firm or very firm mattress, that is of a coil pocket design. (it’s an issue with the mattress support, so I know more less the support I require)

Thanks

Don’t seem to have an edit feature for posts:

obviously any recommended products will need to be tested/tried in store if possible.

Hi bn880,

Apologies for misunderstanding your question. It was not clear what type of material you wish to have as comfort layer in a new mattress. “Coil Pocket” is generic for a number of mattresses. It is often called hybrid-pocket-coil and the finished mattress has at least one layer above the coils for comfort. This can be memory or poly foam, latex, microcoils, natural fibers etc. Since you did not specify your preference it was not clear to me that you are “not interested in Latex mattresses” at all. I did gather that somehow the bed had failed you in one way or another causing you pains.

To narrow down your search and if latex is out of the question, let us know what combination of materials do you prefer in your pocket-coil bed? As there are thousands of beds in each style that can simplify your search and help you make the best possible choices based on your personal value equation and what is important to you.

All mattresses, regardless of their componentry can be made to fit a large spectrum of comfort levels ranging from plush to extra firm. A latex-hybrid pocket coil can also be a “Ultra/Very Firm” mattress (as per your title), but more importantly in your case, latex would be more durable than many other types of foams in the same firmness. Which is why I did not exclude a hybrid latex-pocket from your options. Just in case you are reconsidering this type of material it’s good to know that latex is far more durable than other foams and the firmer the latex is, the denser it is, and the more it should retain its initial properties (without softening) for a decade or more with normal wear and tear. As a side note most of the latex on the US market today is not “cheated” It is true, however, that it is more “expensive” than conventional foams. Latex is a quality material and it’s more expensive to produce it.

I agree … this is very much so; nobody can say for sure if you’ll do well with any specific mattress because there are too many variables involved…. You do not need to include your stats but providing them, in most cases will give useful hints to offer better guidance. People that sleep hot, for example, need different types of materials in the comfort layer… etc.

Depending on their density foams, like memory foam gel foam, as it contours around the body usually “traps” body heat which leads to ‘softening’ during the course of the night. Higher density memory foams would not soften as much but are more expensive so you’d be in a bit of a catch 22 situation. Polyurethane foam can certainly fit the bill in terms of Ultra/Firm material and not change with temperature and pressure but again depending on its density it may not be as durable as a similar firmness in latex. The higher de density the more expensive the foam would be. The same foams in lower densities are prone to premature wear which can cause ruts or divots, as well as keeping any perspiration close to your skin which can cause them to feel ‘hot’.

That being said, most of the Canadian retailers previously mentioned and many of the TMU members I listed, carry hybrid -foam mattresses as well as innerspring. Other than this whatever mattress you consider I would take note of the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and would make sure any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grades foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure durability

Hopefully others in the Ottawa area can suggest ‘traditional’ foam mattresses they have had experience with, to help in the search.

~ Basilio