Undecided between 10000 and 13000 latex mattress from SleepEZ

I’ve been readiing a lot of information on this site for the last few weeks and am sure happy I found this before making the purchase of our new mattress! Thank you Phoenix for all your great work.

We have a 13-15 year-old Simmons double-sided Wool Connaisseur pillowtop. It was great for a long time, but for close to a year I’ve been having back and hip issues, which I can’t seem to shake off despite a targeted exercise program and regular visits to various health practicioners. I am now convinced that our mattress, which is showing its age, is to blame.

I had initially decided to buy a tempurpedic, thinking it was the best option given all the sales marketing surrounding it. I have since concluded that a 100% latex mattress is the way to go, definitely. We live in the province of Quebec and tried a Greensleep mattress at a local shop, but these are way too expensive in our opinion (about $4000 Cdn for a King, give or take). So I have now decided to buy online from SleepEZ, given all the great reviews on this site, and I will have it delivered at the Vermont ski chalet we will be staying at for 1 week in early March - thereby saving shipping and other costs.

Now for my question: I’m still debating whether to buy the 10000 or 13000, in either case the bottom layers Dunlop and the top layer 100% natural Talalay. I realize that the feel will be a bit different, as Greensleep is all Dunlop, but I think I’ll enjoy the softer, springier feel of the top Talalay. I like the options for configuration available with the 130000, but obviously I won’t be exchanging any layers from Canada, so I have to get it right from the start. I’m hoping Shawn will help with this. In another post, you mentioned that a mattress over 12" is only truly required with someone in the far 200 lbs or 300 lbs weight range. What would you suggest for us?
I’m 48, 5’3,155 lbs, curvy, mainly side sleeper and occasionally on my back, with back issues.
My husband is 46, 6’3, 220 lbs., back and side sleeper, no specific health concerns.
I like a soft, pillowy, sinking feeling - as pressure point relief is a top priority. My husband is much the same, but with a slight preference for something a tad firmer.

I would appreciate any advice, comments, insight you may have to assist in our decision-making.

Hi chanpou,

If your symptoms tend to go away after you get up and move around for a while or if you find you sleep “symptom free” on other mattresses that you have slept on then the most likely cause is your mattress. If your symptoms tend to remain throughout the day or if you have similar symptoms on other mattresses then the most likely cause is your back. Of course it could also be a combination of both.

At your weight you certainly wouldn’t “need” 12" of latex (you’re right that it can be more important or “necessary” in the higher 200 lb weight range and above) but you may still prefer it. Some people may feel very little to no difference between them while other would notice a more significant difference (higher weights would probably notice a bigger difference than lower weights). There is more about the effect of thickness and the benefits of having more layers in post #14 here.

There is also more in post #2 here about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that can help you identify and minimize the risks involved but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance about your comfort choices will always be a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced online retailer or manufacturer who will know more about “matching” their own mattresses to different body types and sleeping styles than anyone else.

Phoenix

Thank you for the quick, informative response. We’ll be making a trip to the Montreal area in 2 weeks, where we hope to stop by a retailer who has latex mattresses. We’ll then have a bit more “real life” information and will likely finalize the purchase of the SleepEZ 130000 (more options for tweaking by changing the upper layers around, if necessary). We’ll make sure to have thorough discussions with the people at SleepEz for the best match possible. I’ll follow up with a report in a few weeks.

Hi chanpou,

You may have seen this already but just in case you haven’t … some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Montreal area are listed in post #276 here that should give you a number of places where you can test different types of latex mattresses in different firmness levels that will give you a general sense of what latex feels like.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and of course any comments and feedback that you have the chance to share once you receive it.

Phoenix