Unfortunate purchase, need reselect advice simmons or serta or ?

Previous mattress was a simmons beautyrest, it was over 15 years old and losing shape/firmness plus it was time to upgrade to a queen. When it was new, it had a firm, tight and bouncy feel.
Purchased a simmons world class luxury firm Phillipsburg from US Mattress (yes I know, I totally regret it now), a week later it feels just as “squishy” as the 15 yr old mattress it replaced. Lots of motion transfer and seems to be indenting in my hip area.

I am still within the “100 day comfort” guarantee period with ability to swap out for another queen mattress.
Evaluating the scant info on US Mattress and other sites, I am looking for extra firm/firm with less poor quality poly foams as possible (making the best choice out of the bad selections) for under $1000. I will add a latex topper (2 or 3 inch) for comfort.

Not a fan of memory foam, but maybe a hybrid or latex topper over the foam would be better? We tried a floor model purchase Sealy Optimum Destiny memory foam mattress, slept incredibly hot (slightly better with a cheap polyester mattress pad and directing a fan at the mattress), did not feel supported. Sold it to a family member.

Side sleepers, husband 220 lbs, me 177 lbs. We both have pain issues with arthritis and mild fibromyalgia. My pain level is heat sensitive, where the memory foam was painful from the heat generated. I don’t feel a heat/hot issue with the Simmons Phillispburg Luxury Firm, it does contain some memory foam in the layers.

Possible choices:

Sealy Posturepedic Gel Series Warrenville Ultra Firm
Quilt - Top of Mattress
FlameGuard Fiber
1/2" ActiveFlex

Comfort - Padding Layers
1" Marvelux
1" ActiveFlex
1/2" Gel Memory Foam
CoreSupport Center w/ Gel Memory Foam

Correct Back Support System
Coil System: Apex Coil System
Coil Gauge: 14.25
704 coils

Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Ultra Hamilton Bay Extra Firm
Quilt - Top of Mattress
1" AirCool Foam
1/2" Luxury Firm Comfort Foam

Comfort - Padding Layers
1/2" AirCool Memory Foam
1" Energy Foam

Coil System: Super Pocketed Coil
1/2" Energy Foam
Coil Gauge: 13.75
Coils 850

I also considered the Spring Air Back Supporter Latex Aristocrat Firm
But I think it’s not great quality for a high price?
I asked US Mattress to provide specs, no reply.
I would need a different box spring, the comfort guarantee swap is ONLY for a mattress.

Quilt - Top of Mattress
1.0 ounce per square inch Fire Resistant Anti-Microbial Fibers
Cashmere/Silk Blend of Fibers
1 1/2" Ergo Contour Foam

Comfort - Padding Layers
1" 3.75 lb MicroPerf Latex
1 1/2" Hybrid Latex Convoluted

7" 1.8 lb 28 ILD Core

Mattress Height: 13"

I know if I choose a lower priced innerspring there would be even less poly foams, however US Mattress will not refund the difference in cost. I already feel like I overpaid on this purchase, plus it will be $99 to swap out. :frowning:
I fully expect the mattress will fail in 5 years, I will be willing to invest in a better quality purchase at that time. Fortunately, I now have better information to make it a smart purchase.
Thank You!

Hi funnygarcia,

Post #2 here has more about exchanging a mattress in a mainstream store where there are no great options available to exchange for although I’m guessing you may have already read it since your idea about a “firm mattress + topper” is one of the suggestions mentioned there.

Unfortunately this is part of the “trap” of most exchange policies where you can only choose the same or a higher priced mattress which may not be the best choice for you because higher prices can often mean even more lower quality polyfoam that can soften or break down too quickly.

This isn’t “too bad” because the marvelux is generally a little higher quality/density foam and the apex coils are pocketed coils so this would make a reasonable “base” layer for a topper.

This one isn’t bad either but it has more “questionable” foam than the Sealy.

Assuming that you can confirm that the “hybrid latex” is actually latex, this one only has 1.5" of lower quality/density material and the latex comfort layers would both be durable materials (again assuming that it’s actually latex) so this one could also be a little less risky. It’s also a little softer than the other two (and they rate it the same as the mattress you are exchanging) so you may only need a thinner topper (or perhaps no topper at all) for it to work for you. Of course this mattress may also turn out to be too “soft and squishy” for you regardless of the quality/durability of the materials and the support core is also in a little softer range (28 ILD) and if that’s the case then it’s much more difficult to “fix” a mattress that is too soft than one that is too firm.

I don’t see any reason why the foundation for your mattress wouldn’t work for any of the other options you are looking at.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your advice. Tried out the Sealy Ultra Firm at Sears today, bouncy firm and no squish factor… much better than the Simmons extra firm which feels just as " plush " squishy as our current choice. I will be filing for an exchange and begin the topper hunt. Thanks!