Unique question re Latex Mattres

Phoenix - thanks for all your hard work. Based on your posts and this website, I recently purchased a SleepEZ latex mattress (organic 13" split eastern king) and have had the best sleep of my life!

I need help again!

I am in the process of building a guest home in another country that would be used 10 - 15x per year and in the need of 3 king beds. Based on my satisfaction with my latex mattress and the (hopefully) extended life span of latex, I am considering buying latex again. But I want the lowest cost options possible and don’t need worry about the warrantee or any exchange policy because the mattress will be immediately shipped abroad. I will handle the international shipping.

I looked at Brooklyn Bedding (12"latex over foam) and Mattresses.net. I would like to keep the price under $1200 (possibly a bit more for better quality) and prefer all latex to a hybrid.

Here is the question: do you know of other low cost vendors I should consider? I really don’t need anything other than the mattress.

tl;dr looking for cheapest possible eastern king all latex mattress for a home abroad. Don’t care about warrantee, service or return policy; just quality and price.

Please advise.

Hi enzo,

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses. There is also more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here.

The most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is how well in matches your specific needs and preferences and how well you sleep on it. To “duplicate” another mattress you would need to use the same type and blend of latex with the same amount of layers, very similar firmness levels for each layer, the same layer thicknesses, and with a similar cover. If you buy a mattress with a different design or combination of layers or a different cover it may or may not be suitable for you to sleep well on depending on whether the different design is also a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) but it will be “different” from the mattress you have now so you would need to test it in person to know whether it would be a suitable choice for you.

It’s very unlikely that you will find a “match” for your mattress in the price range you are considering although there are other latex or latex hybrids that have less latex, use synthetic latex, or have a different design that would be in your budget range. The mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) that compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency and many of them also make latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that would be well worth considering although as I mentioned you won’t be able to find a king size latex mattress that has the same materials and design as yours in your $1200 budget range for a king size. Some of the better online lower budget latex and latex hybrid options I’m aware of that would be in your budget range are also listed in posts #3 and #4 here.

Since you already have a reference point for a mattress design that you know works well for you and if the return/exchange options or buying a mattress that has passed the fire regulations aren’t an important issue for you then you then you could also buy the individual layers and components separately (including a similar cover) as a DIY mattress and probably lower your cost although even with a DIY mattress design where you buy all the individual components separately it’s still unlikely you will be able to stay under your budget range if you are looking for the same mattress design as the one you have. There is more information about building a DIY mattress in option 3 of post #15 here which also includes a link to the better online sources for individual latex layers and components that I’m aware of as well (including covers).

Phoenix