Update on my mattress saga

It’s been nearly six month since I last posted so I thought I would give an update on my complicated bed situation. It’s positive: I am consistently able to sleep through the night now!

In January I posted to the SleepEZ forum despairing because my DIY mattress, which replicated a version I had found “too soft” before, now felt too firm, and especially caused pressure points on my ribs. “Is it the mattress that changed,” I wondered, “or me?” Spoiler alert: It was me! I have since learned that my chronic pain was not caused by my mattress, but is related to an inflammatory condition. The good news is that I’ve learned strategies for keeping it under control (including painkillers, physical therapy, and postural improvements), and I’ve landed on a mattress stack that I can sleep on!

My chronic pain explains why I found an “ordinary” bed too firm. The tough thing is that, in this situation, you also don’t want to make the bed too soft, because that can cause back problems that exacerbate the problem. For a long time, I was sleeping propped up on a pile of soft pillows because this was the only way to reduce immediate pressure on the ribs and get to sleep, but ultimately I think I was doing myself a disservice by sleeping with poor alignment.

As for my mattress, I did do what SleepEZ suggested and swapped out some of dunlop for other latex types. My current build, from bottom to top:

3" 30ild medium dunlop from SleepEZ
3" 30ild medium talalay from SleepEZ
2" 20ild soft Earthfoam from Sleep on Latex
2"ish deluxe wool topper from St Peter Woolen Mill

I’ve been consistently able to sleep on this stack for nearly six months! I waver between finding this “too firm” and “too soft” which means it’s probably about right, and anyway I am able to get to sleep, so YAY.

The wool topper is really the lynchpin of the whole thing since i find it much more comfortable and pressure-relieving as an immediate sleep surface than any firmness of latex. (I had in previous posts worried that I may be allergic to wool… it turns out that because of my various inflammations of eyes/throat/etc., I am unusually irritated by “flyaway” hairs and particles in the air from handling wool batting, but this is only a problem if I’m directly handling the wool itself as part of a DIY project, adjustable pillow, etc. I am able to use a fully enclosed item like the wool topper with no problem!)

Changing my sleep position was another necessary part of my journey, since I am now absolutely unable to sleep in my former position (stomach) due to pain. Sleeping on my back is the best position, and I credit my buckwheat pillow with helping me learn to do so without neck pain. I’m also learning to sleep properly on my side with the help of a body pillow (what I used to call “side sleeping” was actually the fetal position and I would slump during the night and wake up on my stomach).

If I were to do this over, I am not sure I would mess with latex at all; but the stack I’ve got now is working fine, and I am very glad to have found out about wool toppers, buckwheat pillows, and body pillows, all of which have been sleep game-changers.

Hi BurrowingOwl,

Thanks for taking the time to give us a 6 months update on your status. Great news! Sorry to hear about the chronic pain, but the ‘silver lining’ is that you have identified and gotten a treatment regime for your inflammatory condition…determining whether any pains a sleeper has is caused or increased by an unsuitable mattress is a key as much as a sleepers stats(height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any health conditions) and PPP( Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) which go towards determining your personal value equation. You have certainly done a lot of work to get to this point, so again, Bravo!

[quote] As for my mattress, I did do what SleepEZ suggested and swapped out some of dunlop for other latex types. My current build, from bottom to top:
3" 30ild medium dunlop from SleepEZ
3" 30ild medium talalay from SleepEZ
2" 20ild soft Earthfoam from Sleep on Latex
2"ish deluxe wool topper from St Peter Woolen Mill
I’ve been consistently able to sleep on this stack for nearly six months! I waver between finding this “too firm” and “too soft” which means it’s probably about right, and anyway I am able to get to sleep, so YAY.[/quote]
Outstanding news. Arizona SleepEZ Factory is a long-standing Trusted Member of the site and they are committed to providing excellent service. They like to go ‘above and beyond to provide their customers with a suitable sleep system, and it looks like they’ve solved your conundrum. DIY builds are not easy to get right and it may take patience and multiple tries to get a system of layers that provide the proper support and comfort for individual needs. I like the combo of latexes at 20-30 ILD which seems to be the ‘best of both worlds’ in the mix of Talalay and Dunlop latex, as Dunlop is denser and considered firmer than Talalay in the same ILD with more ‘bounce’ while Talalay has more comfortable ‘sinking in’ feel to it.

Also good to know that you do not have adverse reactions to the wool topper when enclosed, and that does not exacerbate your inflammatory condition.

[quote] Changing my sleep position was another necessary part of my journey, since I am now absolutely unable to sleep in my former position (stomach) due to pain. Sleeping on my back is the best position, and I credit my buckwheat pillow with helping me learn to do so without neck pain. I’m also learning to sleep properly on my side with the help of a body pillow (what I used to call “side sleeping” was actually the fetal position and I would slump during the night and wake up on my stomach).
If I were to do this over, I am not sure I would mess with latex at all; but the stack I’ve got now is working fine, and I am very glad to have found out about wool toppers, buckwheat pillows, and body pillows, all of which have been sleep game-changers.[/quote]
As you have found, as we age (and especially if we have preexisting conditions or health issues ) our needs sleep and comfort needs can change drastically. A change in sleeping positions is a HUGE readjustment (especially front to back) which also impacts the type of support needed to keep proper spinal alignment and posture. So hats off…Congratulations! :cheer: . The body pillow solution seems to have helped you turn the corner and now you have a mattress that is not only durable but should be comfortable as long as your condition stays under control and sleep positions don’t revert to previous bad postural habbits. Thanks for sharing your journey as it may be invaluable to other TMU Forum visitors with similar predicaments. I wish you many pain-free nights and comfortable sleep!

Basilio