Update on SOVN and request for recommendations in Phoenix/Mesa AZ area

I recently purchased a SOVN Sleeping System (switching from my Sleep Number), and I am happy to report that it has been a lifesaver! It has taken me a while to adjust, but each day gets better and better. My numb arms, aching back, sore hips and aggravated tailbone are all almost completely gone! Five years of very little sleep and lots of pain is becoming a thing of the past ever since I switched to a latex innerspring mattress. Sorry but I had to share because I still can’t believe it! Anyway now my brother-in-law is looking for a new mattress and adjustable bed frame. He is veteran and has many physical issues from serving Iraq. He has to have surgery on his arm at the end of December or he will lose mobility. Because of this surgery and because of all of his physical challenges, he is looking for a new latex innerspring mattress but also a bed that is adjustable like a hospital bed (but obviously not a hospital bed). He lives in the Phoenix area but needs something that is much more affordable due to loss of income because of all of his disabilities. Are there any recommendations for that area that would more affordable?

Hi DRKPEACE,

Thanks for taking the time to follow up on your SOVN mattress and I’m happy it has made a difference for you over your old air mattress.

Regarding retailers in the Phoenix area, you’re fortunate that there are a few site members in that region:
Arizona Premium Mattress Company
SleepEZ

I have discontinued the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are already approved site members), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was creating with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict vetting and qualification process that is part of becoming an approved member of The Mattress Underground. Such an assumption is unfair to both the consumers seeking assistance, as well as the very businesses and manufacturers who have indeed qualified the be members here of The Mattress Underground.

You can perform a forum search on Phoenix or Mesa and see what other businesses have been discussed in that region which may be helpful to you. The good news is that there are quite a few retailers in that area.

Whatever business you’re considering, I would always confirm that any retailer or manufacturer that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and also make sure that any mattress that you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here.

Regarding adjustable bed bases, there is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic). Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research. I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you call the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at websites.

I would consider all the major adjustable bed manufacturers to be closely comparable in terms of reliability so I would use price and feature comparisons to choose between them. I would also give some careful consideration to the type of features that you may find useful over a longer period of time because some of the features they offer may seem very “enticing” when you are shopping but some people may find that they don’t use them as much as they thought they would once the novelty has worn off.

If you have any questions about specifications or certain products you or your brother-in-law discover, feel free to post back on the forum and I’ll do my best to be assistive.

I hope your brother-in-law feels better.

Phoenix