Upholstery confusion!

[color=#0000bb]Hello

I am in the UK and looking at buying a new bed from these people:
http://www.factory-beds-direct.co.uk/
Specifically I am trying to decided between the Artisan Bespoke and the Artisan Bespoke 004 detailed here:

http://www.factory-beds-direct.co.uk/mattress-sho/king-size-mattresses/artisan-bespoke-kingsize/
http://www.factory-beds-direct.co.uk/mattress-sho/king-size-mattresses/artisan-bespoke-004-kingsize/

I am a stomach sleeper so from the information on here it suggests that I would want a firmer feel mattress with thinner comfort layers.

Having been in contact with factory beds direct they suggest that the Bespoke will be firmer than the 004 due to increase number of comfort layers within the same (ish) depth carcass. This seems to contradict though with the info on this website suggesting that less comfort layers tends to make a firmer feel bed.

I am don’t really have any idea of which bed to go for and would value peoples opinions.

Thank you for your help.

Toby[/color]

Hi tobyrose115,

I would be very cautious about oversimplifying a single spec because the thickness of the comfort layers are only one of many factors that can affect the firmness of a mattress. Every layer and component in a mattress will affect all the other layers and components and the mattress “as a whole” so the overall firmness of a mattress always depends on each layer and component and on how they interact together. If a mattress has thinner comfort layers and they are exactly the same type and firmness as another mattress that uses thicker layers of exactly the same materials and if the layers or components underneath it are firmer and also exactly the same then you would generally feel more of the firmness of the deeper layers “through” the thinner comfort layers but in the case of the two mattresses you are comparing they aren’t the same so this type of oversimplified comparison would be misleading. Just as a single example … larger amounts of natural fibers that are compressed down to a thinner layer would be firmer than the same amount of natural fibers that aren’t compressed as much.

Just in case you haven’t read them already … two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you (or your child) in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

You are certainly looking at some very nice mattresses and while I’m not familiar with the UK market … I’ve always been impressed with the quality of the information they provide on their site.

Phoenix