Use of older latex base with new comfort layer

We purchased a latex bed (split CA king-sized) about 12 years ago. It has a 6" core, 2" comfort layer and a thin layer of memory foam on top (I tore up the sewed side seam on the cover to find this out). The layers are all glued together. We know nothing of the pedigree of the latex (although it’s tag says 80% latex, 20% viscose foam) but we adored it for about 10 years. When we purchased it, we knew nothing whatsoever about latex and 12 years ago memory foam was all the rage. A couple years ago, our backs began bothering us and it appears as if the latex/memory foam comfort layers have degraded. The area where each of us lies, is softer if pushed down than the outer edges. It does not appear that torpedoes were stored there, but there are indentions.

I have poured through the mattress underground and have learned much. However, there is so much information, I must confess that I am a bit confused, although I’m getting there. We began to search for a manufacturer to replace our mattress (our last factory went out of business much to our sadness). To date, we’ve made no decision (we are very slow).

You suggested to another writer to simply turn the mattress over to ease her back discomfort. We did this and even though the base core is hard for me, sleeping is much better. So here is my idea – If our 6" base layer really isn’t degraded, could we simply purchase a new additional 2" comfort layer and new zippered sacks for each mattress from one of the factories who belong to the Mattress Underground? My thought is that we could put the existing comfort layer face down on the slatted platform bed like we have it now, base layer up. Then we could place the new 2" layer on the top of the base layer’s former bottom, not glue it together and zip it up in its new sack. This would give us a 10" latex mattress. Is there a knack for determining the condition of the base core?

Is this a good idea? If you think it is not, let us know and we’ll continue our search for a replacement bed. Thanks so much for the help and for the amazing website.

Hi BinOjai,

[quote]You suggested to another writer to simply turn the mattress over to ease her back discomfort. We did this and even though the base core is hard for me, sleeping is much better. So here is my idea – If our 6" base layer really isn’t degraded, could we simply purchase a new additional 2" comfort layer and new zippered sacks for each mattress from one of the factories who belong to the Mattress Underground? My thought is that we could put the existing comfort layer face down on the slatted platform bed like we have it now, base layer up. Then we could place the new 2" layer on the top of the base layer’s former bottom, not glue it together and zip it up in its new sack. This would give us a 10" latex mattress. Is there a knack for determining the condition of the base core?

Is this a good idea? If you think it is not, let us know and we’ll continue our search for a replacement bed. Thanks so much for the help and for the amazing website. [/quote]

In most cases the sagging will be the result of softening in the comfort layers and if you are up for some experimentation and trial and error then I think that a version of this would be worth a try. I would start by turning the mattress upside down and adding a topper which is one of the suggestions that may help extend the life of a mattress that has developed some sagging in post #4 here. Since the firm side of a mattress isn’t generally meant for sleeping on and would be quite firm and may not contour very well and since you currently have about a 4" comfort layer (2" of soft latex and probably a similar amount of memory foam) … you would likely need a topper in the 3" - 4" range (or even two 2" toppers) but this would depend on your body type, sleeping style, and preferences.

The risk of this approach is that the original top layers which are now on the bottom would be too thick and soft or have developed too much in the way of soft spots to provide good alignment/support but the only way to know this would be with your own personal experience.

If it turns out that the thickness/softness of the previous comfort layers aren’t suitable then you could consider mattress surgery which is also a suggestion in the same post. This would involve carefully cutting off the glued top layers of your mattress (see post #2 here) and then using your topper on the firmer latex core. Once you have cut off the comfort layers then you could test the firmness of the core in different areas to make sure it was relatively consistent and would be a suitable base layer (see post #2 here) but it’s likely that the firmer latex core would still be OK. If sleeping on this turns out to work well then you can purchase a suitable cover that would be the right size for your core and topper. If it still wasn’t working then you could add an additional layer or replace the topper with a softer or firmer version and then add a cover once you have decided on a final configuration that is working well for you.

Phoenix