Used Mattress Quandry

I have been offered a used mattress from someone I know from work. I plan to use it in a guest room that will be in use a couple of times a year. The mattress is three years old and from the photos it appears to be in good condition. I will fumigate the mattress and put it in a zippered rubber sheet and then use a mattress cover. I do not have bunches of money laying around and I have several guests coming in four days.

This option is not my first choice. However, it is a solution until I can pay dome of my debts.

Is this totally inappropriate? Should I just bite the bullet and get a new mattress?

Thanks for any insight/opinion/concerns with this issue.

Hi Elisea,

For what it’s worth, I doubt you could tell from photos the shape of a mattress. Pictures won’t really show soft spots, and likely it could be difficult to see depressions. Why is the original person selling it / is it free to you?

You’re both financially and time constrained, if your guests are coming in 4 days. Ikea might have some options too for fast and low cost.

With me, it might really depend on how well I knew the person offering the mattress.

If it were a person I’d want to get a mattress from, I’d look at exactly how the deal worked, and manage to actually see the mattress, especially if I’d be paying for it.

So much depends on your situation, even things like do your guests expect you to provide beds, or could you get by with airbeds for them and come out lots cheaper.

It’s free and if you clean it I don’t see why not.

Hi Elisea,

As the other replies have indicated it really depends on your own personal sense of how comfortable you are either sleeping or having a guest sleep on a mattress that has been used by someone else. Some people wouldn’t consider it and some would be fine with it. It would also depend on how well you knew the person you were buying it from and of course any costs involved compared to buying a similar quality mattress new.

Post #2 here has more about buying a used mattress that may also be helpful although it was a mattress that had a zip cover so the inner materials could be inspected as well (which can often have hidden issues) which may not be the case with your mattress.

Phoenix