Using polyurethane on a metal base

Hi Phoenix,

I have read many of your suggestions for frames and bases for all latex beds. I am switching form a queen to a king size and I am trying to keep costs down. (Just built a new house ,etc, etc)
I have slept only on all latex my whole life (when I was a kid in the 70’s, we had twin mattresses that were 6 " cores, and the had a jiggle to them!)
I am looking at the value mattress on Sleep EZ that is 8’ (3’ 3’ 2’ I think) with a cotton stretch cover. I wanted to use a metal frame at 14 " to gain space under bed, but I don’t want my overall bed height to be too low.
You mentioned that it MAY be possible to get a good result from polyurethane foam on a metal base to gain enough barrier so latex doesn’t sag into metal gaps. This would also help me gain overall bed height I want. (14 " frame + 8" mattress + possible 3 " poly in-between frame and mattress= 26" overall.

Do you have a recommendation for a good company for a 2 or 3’ poly “topper” used as a “under”?
Also, wants your thoughts on this idea? (I considered buying slat for on top a metal frame, but that would give me a lower overall height)
Thank you in advance (your dedication and knowledge is amazing!!) !!
Kirtyb

Hi Kirtybee,

[quote]I am looking at the value mattress on Sleep EZ that is 8’ (3’ 3’ 2’ I think) with a cotton stretch cover. I wanted to use a metal frame at 14 " to gain space under bed, but I don’t want my overall bed height to be too low.
You mentioned that it MAY be possible to get a good result from polyurethane foam on a metal base to gain enough barrier so latex doesn’t sag into metal gaps. This would also help me gain overall bed height I want. (14 " frame + 8" mattress + possible 3 " poly in-between frame and mattress= 26" overall.[/quote]

Yes … it sounds like you’ve read this already but you can see my thoughts about the wire grid platform/foundations with an all latex mattress in post #10 here.

The better online polyfoam suppliers that I’m aware of are listed in the component post here.

You wouldn’t have storage under the bed with this option but if you purchase a standard metal bedframe that is about 7" - 7.5" high and add a fairly “standard” height wood slat foundation underneath it (such as the 8" wood slat foundation from SleepEZ) then you would have a support system which is 15" - 15.5" high which would be about the same as the 14" wire grid foundation you are considering with a 1" - 1.5" polyfoam layer on top of it. Of course with the polyfoam you also have the option to choose the thickness and fine tune the height of your sleeping surface.

I would make sure that the polyfoam was in an “extra firm” range or higher which would mean a minimum of about 40 ILD and higher would be better yet so it has the least possible amount of flex underneath your mattress.

Phoenix