Using several latex toppers as a whole mattress

Phoenix,

This has probably been addressed before, so my apologies…

I was wondering if it’s a bad idea to purchase 3 or 4 latex toppers from mattresstopper.com (or similar outlet) and use them together as a mattress. I was thinking something like two 3" firms (36 ILD) and a medium (28 ILD) on top. This would be under $1000 together, before purchasing a cover. The Brooklyn Bedding online chat rep thought this would be a bad idea b/c the layers would not be “bonded” together and would not be sturdy (they’d move around even with the cover).

I would like to know your thoughts on this.

Hi mitchellcole,

No need to apologize! Much of what I answer has been covered before on the forum but I’m always happy to provide guidance.

There’s nothing wrong with creating your own DIY component system. Multiple layers would have more options for fine tuning both before and after a purchase because, for example, a support core with a medium over firm layer would be a little firmer than a medium layer and a little softer than a firm layer (closer to the medium), and you would also have the option to rearrange the layers to firm over medium which would still be in between a medium and firm 6" layer but closer to the firm. You could also use a softer top layer in the middle to create a firmer feel compared to having the soft on top.

The main advantage of having more layers in other words is that for those who need it can provide more options to customize the layer combinations either before a purchase or by rearranging or exchanging layers after a purchase. While this is attractive to some people … it can also add some complexity that may not be necessary or may not justify any extra costs involved in having more layers for others.

If you are planning on building your own DIY mattress out of separate components that are purchased from one or several different sources then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

Latex foam layers are quite “sticky” and have a high coefficient of friction, so when placed on top of each other they don’t tend to migrate much. Combined with a properly sized mattress encasement covering, you’d be creating your own component-style mattress, as many have done for decades.

You can see some comments about the pros and cons of a component mattress with a zip cover where you can choose the type and firmness of each layer vs a “finished mattresses” that has glued layers in post #15 here and post #2 here.

If you are willing to put up with the challenges of creating your own DIY mattress, I would see no issue with purchasing separate latex foam layers.

Phoenix