Value mattress

I need a value mattress for guest bedroom queen size. I am in Indianapolis but would also consider Internet ordering. Price range is $300 to $500. What are your thoughts?

Hi Mjr3126,

There are some suggestions for purchasing a mattress for a guest bedroom in post #2 here that should be helpful.

Subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list you wish to deal with is completely transparent about the materials and components in their mattresses (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Indianapolis area are listed in post #2 here.

Outside of any local options that may be available to you … if you are also considering online choices then some of the better lower budget online options I’m aware of are listed at the end of post #4 here and the other online lists it links to.

Phoenix

What are your thoughts about Costco and the nova foam 14 inch Comfort Grande gel memory foam mattress?

Hi Mjr3126,

Again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress. Outside of PPP though (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so again I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

The description on the Costco site doesn’t include the density of the foam layers in the mattress so it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the durability of the mattress but in most cases Novaform mattresses use lower quality/density foam layers than I would normally suggest in the guidelines (they typically use 3 lb memory foam).

If you can find out the density of all the foam layers in the mattress and post them on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress “as a whole”.

If for any reason a retailer or manufacturer is either unwilling or unable to provide you with all the information you need about the quality/density of any polyfoam or memory foam inside a mattress you are considering to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress and to make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses I would avoid the mattress completely.

Phoenix

Bowles mattress es are sold close to me so I am going to check them out in the next day or two.

Hi Mjr3126,

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback after your visit.

Phoenix