Value price full mattress for kids

I keep coming back to the Brooklyn Bedding BME. I looked through the forum but didn’t see much information on the soft version. My gut tells me to go with the Medium but it seems like most people recommend a softer mattress for kids/girls. My daughter is around 65lbs now and sleeps in just about every position. Does anyone have experience with the soft? Also my they told me that my foundation from my traditional coil mattress would work fine. I know the latex needs a more solid base with slats or a platform but does the BME? I also looked at the Dreamfoam Ultimate but some of the negative reviews on Amazon have scared me off. So right now I’m looking at the Joplimo coil mattress locally ($400), Addable budget foam option ($400) and BME latex bed in a box ($617.50 with sheets and pillow).

Hi stuuke,

A mattress with a polyfoam support core (regardless of the material in the comfort layers) will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components (either a bedframe and foundation or a platform bed) need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, shifting, or breaking with extended use. The support surface under the mattress (which may be slats or a solid surface or a steel or wire grid) should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. If a foundation has a slatted surface then I would suggest that the gaps between any slats are no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than 4" would be better yet.

There is more information about support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here and some of the information and comments in this topic (which would apply to any foam mattress) may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

What do you think about firmness for a kid on the BME? Any thoughts on Addable? I believe you mentioned in another post that you didn’t recommend memory foam for kids.

Hi stuuke,

You can see my thoughts about memory foam and children and some general firmness guidelines for children in post #2 here and post #2 here that I linked in my earlier reply to you in post #4 in this topic.

Phoenix

I don’t know how you keep all of the links straight.

I ordered a Brooklyn BME Full in soft today and received notice that it already shipped!

Hi stuuke,

I have a list of a few hundred reference posts that I use in my replies.

Congratulations on your new mattress :).

As you can see in the posts I linked I would generally choose a medium firmness for a child to help keep their growing spines in better alignment but at least the soft isn’t “ultra soft”.

Phoenix

Mario said their mattresses are generally firmer than what most people would consider soft, medium and firm and suggested a soft so hopefully it works out.

Hi stuuke,

The top 2" layer is 19 ILD which is fairly soft (although not ultra soft) but the middle layer is 30 ILD which is more in a medium range so I agree it should be OK.

Phoenix