Vancouver BC, local latex supplier Snug Sleep

From here in Vancouver, after eliminating American sources based on dollar value and personal value e.g. “try-ability”, buying Canadian, etc., I decided to buy locally. I do have a US receiving service for stuff I just can’t source (reasonably) here, so convenience was less of an issue. Personally, I wanted:

1. All or mostly latex – organic preferred, but not essential
  2. Ability to try the mattress and customize the configuration to us
  3. Layering options – the ability to change the set up further down the road
  4. Flip-ability

I decided to go with Snug Sleep at their factory in North Vancouver; I do hope you get a chance to speak with Don and get more information on his materials and service, which are, as you’ve taught us, a big part of any value equation. N.b. I just spoke with Don; he has a container of latex arriving next week and will be crazy busy for the next week or two – for interested folks, early February would be the best time to set something up with him. :woohoo: our mattress!

The latex is organic Dunlop (I read Arpico) and the included flexible foundation/box is of his own design – he sources the pine locally and makes it himself. He’s open Saturdays for people to drop in to check it out and when you’re ready to buy a mattress, you make an appointment with him for a private “fitting”.

He spent over two hours with us getting the layers just right; prices include the foundation, but one would likely still want a simple frame under it – which he can also make. We like that he offers standardized pricing – same for everyone. That said, while we were invoicing our purchase, I spotted another invoice on his desk (from upside down, even) that was lower in price; he explained that it was for a slightly different latex mold, called latex gold “AIR”, of which he has very little stock remaining.

Since it would save us around $600, we decided to use it for our layering, and settled on an 8.5 inch all latex set-up for under $2000 Canadian plus tax. Don then spent more time with us getting those layers just right, too!

One question for you – do you know anything about latex gold “AIR”? He said his source is not making it anymore due to the mold being damaged; he also pointed out that this product does use less latex material, which is reflected in the lower price. I looked it up on the net, but only found a Bulgarian company. It wasn’t a sales ploy, since I was the one who’d noticed it in the first place and brought it up, and we’d already decided to purchase from him at that point anyway.

On another note, the bedding products are fabulous, and a real deal at the factory with the purchase of mattress; we picked up an alpaca/ wool duvet and 2 wool “knop” pillows and love them. :wink:

Hope this is useful,
Skookum

Hi Skookumchick,

Thanks for the detailed comments and feedback about your experience with Snugsleep … I appreciate it.

You certainly made a high quality choice and it’s great to see the type of service that they provided and that they also spent the time to help you make the choice that was the best “match” for you.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share over time.

My guess is that it would be the Arpico latex Air Cell here which has larger than normal pincores but I don’t know that for certain and they would be the most reliable source of information about exactly what it is (although this is often proprietary information that mattress manufacturers may not disclose).

Phoenix

Bed ready ahead of schedule!

Looks, feels and even smells good so far (4 nights); also nice to know there are no nasty, invisible gasses (VOC’s) enveloping us.

Continued great service from Don at Snug Sleep - very approachable and thorough.

Will keep you updated on getting to know our new setup - looking forward to some great ZZZZZ’s!

Skookum

Hi Skookumchick,

Thanks for the update and feedback … I appreciate it!

It sounds like your new mattress is working out very well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Update:
This system with flexible base didn’t work out for us; we spent many hours of trying to work out the layering! Would suggest first trying a solid 6" with 2 - 3 " on top.

Don was great to deal with, we just couldn’t get comfortable. As another person wrote here, “like hundreds of tiny hammers had been pounding at us all night”. Back to square one…

Sigh :frowning:

Hi Skookumchick,

It sounds like your experience changed from the last time you posted and I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t work out as well as you hoped.

Just out of curiosity … did you ever try your mattress without the flexible base (sometimes the same mattress on a non flexing base may be a better “match” in terms of PPP)?

You’ve probably seen this already but just in case (and since you will probably be looking for another mattress) … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Vancouver, BC area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix