Verlo 9 Mattress

Phoenix,

Thanks for such an informative website on mattresses! I live in Atlanta area, and I visited the Verlo mattress store, and was pretty impressed with the V9 bed. I emailed the owner for the mattress specs, and this is what he responded with: Does this seem like a quality mattress? I’m also looking at The Original Mattress Factory orthopedic premier super pillow top. The Verlo 9 mattress sells for $2100 and the Original Mattress for $1500 Thanks, Jeff

Hello,
From the Innerspring unit up, the V-9 King Pillowtop mattress would include the following:
Lura-Flex 1089 14.5, 5-turn innerspring Unit
“The Edge” steel side Supports (not used all the way around on an adjustable build / side would use foam cylinder supports on adjustable builds)
Thermally Bonded Cotton Pad
Cross batt of Thermally Bonded Cotton Pad (like mattresses used to have for added durability)
Second spring unit 1386 Micro-Coil unit
1" 15/17 Polyfoam
1" 4lb Organic Latex Foam
1" 4lb Gel Infused Memory Foam
1.5" (layers) of 18/17 quilt with added Dacron fill and natural organic fire barrier layer
Tencel fabric - for cooling and temperature control
If you have any questions, just give me a call. Differences, I really don’t keep up with everyone’s models, we’ve just always strived to build better mattresses than our competitors. Ultimately, I 've always recommended “which feels the best”, and with us you can also order the mattress standard build, or slightly firmer/slightly softer as well using firmer or softer foams in the build.

Hi jmgcmg,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’ll be happy to take a look at the specifications you provided.

[quote]Verlo V-9 Pillowtop
From the Innerspring unit up, the V-9 King Pillowtop mattress would include the following:
Lura-Flex 1089 14.5, 5-turn innerspring Unit
“The Edge” steel side Supports (not used all the way around on an adjustable build / side would use foam cylinder supports on adjustable builds)
Thermally Bonded Cotton Pad
Cross batt of Thermally Bonded Cotton Pad (like mattresses used to have for added durability)
Second spring unit 1386 Micro-Coil unit
1" 15/17 Polyfoam
1" 4lb Organic Latex Foam
1" 4lb Gel Infused Memory Foam
1.5" (layers) of 18/17 quilt with added Dacron fill and natural organic fire barrier layer
Tencel fabric - for cooling and temperature control[/quote]

For the specifications provided, there would be no “weak links” for those individuals below a higher BMI range. The 1" of 4 lb memory foam and the 1" of 1.5 lb polyfoam are located deeper within the mattress (4 lb is the minimum I like to recommend for memory foam and 1.8 lb for polyfoam), where their densities won’t have as dramatic impact upon performance. This item is available as double-sided.

The Original Mattress Factory doesn’t provide the complete specifications of the Orthopedic Premier Super Pillow Top, so you’d want to find out that information before moving forward with your research. It is a double-sided product, and the spring unit is a heavier-duty knotted offset design as compared to the open-ended LFK spring unit used in the Verlo mattress. Both would be good durable units.

Moving forward, you need to you find out the information listed here about the OMF so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Once you have all of that information, you may wish to refer to post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for your reply! I did notice the double sided option, but practically I don’t think my wife and I would flip the mattress that often. I just had back surgery, and I think the mattress would weigh close to 200 lbs. Do you get anything out of a double sided mattress besides durability?

Hi jmgcmg,

All things being equal, you can get a longer expected comfort life if you keep up with a proper rotation/flipping schedule with a traditional two-sided mattress versus a one-sided version (a 60-70% increase in durability wouldn’t be unreasonable if the quality of componentry was high). And there will be a bit of a different feel in the two-sided mattress versus a one-sided version. Besides that, it would come down to your own comfort preference and if the product matched your needs, whether or not it was one- or two-sided.

Phoenix