Verlo Mattress question

Greetings Phoenix:
Thanks so much for running this website and providing such invaluable advice. I am in South Jersey and looking to purchase a basic queen size Extra firm Innerspring mattress on a budget. I’ve tried to explore among limited choices of Therapedic, Eclipse and Sleepmaster brands locally but could not find one that would exactly fit my criteria. After a lot of research, I believe, my best bet would be the Verlo factory in Broomall, PA. I am considering V1 Intro Firm and V1 Firm models(7" high):

https://verlo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/v1_Specs.pdf
They contain 9/10" 1.8lb 35 ILD Polyfoam(2 layers for the V1 model), tempered steel 504 Open-offset Coils(13.75 Gauge), cotton insulator pads, stretch-knit fabric oven with polyester fibers.
Do you think these are good choices? It looks like the V1 model has a more luxurious (quilted?) layer. Is this more preferable? If the mattress will have the right firmness/fit, I would like to customize it with Edge support. Also considered having a zippered mattress cover. Would it make a mattress less rigid etc? Any other customization that you think I should consider?
Thanks in advance for your input!

Hi Intltraveler,

You’re welcome!

[quote]I believe, my best bet would be the Verlo factory in Broomall, PA. I am considering V1 Intro Firm and V1 Firm models(7" high): They contain 9/10" 1.8lb 35 ILD Polyfoam(2 layers for the V1 model), tempered steel 504 Open-offset Coils(13.75 Gauge), cotton insulator pads, stretch-knit fabric oven with polyester fibers.
Do you think these are good choices?[/quote]

Verlo is transparent about the type and quality of the materials in their mattresses (which is one of the most important parts of choosing a retailer or manufacturer that you are considering for a purchase). The 1.8 lb. polyfoam in the firm is a better quality polyfoam. You didn’t list what the .5" of polyfoam in the quilt was, but it’s a very small amount and in this situation wouldn’t be much cause for concern in either direction. The bonded cotton pads on the intro model would certainly be quite hard. The spring unit is one of the versions of the VertiCoil spring unit. This particular spring unit has a progressive resistance and does allow for some conformation. Overall, there’s not too much in regards to comfort layers on either mattress, and what you have is of a better quality, and certainly either of these mattresses would be in the “firm” category.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Error 404: Not Found - L&P Bedding Group

I don’t think I would classify either of these mattresses as “luxurious”, but the basic firm would certainly have a bit more “comfort” on top than the intro firm. Whether or not that’s preferable would be up to your own personal preference. The only way to know whether any specific mattress design or combination of layers and components is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP with any certainty will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

Adding edge support to this spring unit would certainly be a worthwhile investment, as this spring unit tends to be a bit soft along the edge, especially if they are using one of the high-profile units.

Regarding a zippered encasement, I’m assuming you mean some sort of mattress protector than is commonly sold in a department store? If so, the only way one of these would make the product feel “less rigid” would be if they contained polyfoam or thicker polyester quilted into the actual encasement itself. Most mattress protectors are very thin and unobtrusive.

I’m not sure what other options are available to you for customization, but as you stated your main focus was a firmer mattress at a lower price. These seem to be the overriding factors in your personal value equation. If you add more padding your price will certainly go up, and generally the hardness of the mattress will be reduced. Your own personal testing of these items at your local Verlo store will be the most important indicator of which item might be the best match for you given your specific criteria.

Let us know what you decide.

Phoenix

Thank you very much for such detailed response!
Our family went to the Verlo factory yesterday. We met the owner, Foster Good, who showed us the factory and various polyfoams & innerspring units they use for the mattresses. We quickly settled for the V1 Firm model(w edge reinforcement option) as it provided the optimal support. I was reaffirmed that Verlo doesn’t spray mattresses with chemical fire-retardants but rather uses a semi-synthetic inherent rayon instead.(a definite plus). Also, they offer one free Comfort Adjustment during first 180 days. After discussing all the details, Foster kindly agreed to discount a price a bit and I believe we got a good deal for the quality mattress.
We are now looking forward to getting our first custom-manufactured mattress in 10 days.
I am so thankful to Mattress Underground, that educated me, and where I first saw a mention of this factory!

Hi Intltraveler,

Congratulations on your new mattress! :slight_smile:

I’m glad you were able to find something in your firmness and budget range.

This would be the manner that most mattress manufacturers use in meeting federal flammability standards.

[quote]We are now looking forward to getting our first custom-manufactured mattress in 10 days.
I am so thankful to Mattress Underground, that educated me, and where I first saw a mention of this factory![/quote]

You’re very welcome! I look forward to an update from you after you’ve received your mattress and have had a chance to use it for a while.

Phoenix