Verticoil vs. other offet coil systems

Phoenix,

I have been looking at mattresses, and have narrowed my search down to a few mattresses at OMF. I am specifically looking at using one of their mattresses with a minimal amount of comfort and adding one of their toppers. This way, I can replace the comfort without replacing the whole mattress. I am around 5’8" and about 165 lbs. My wife is 5’6" and around 135 lbs.

I did not find their Orthopedic extra and ultra firm mattresses comfortable after adding their 2" topper. They were both still too firm for me. I did like their Ortho Luxury Firm, but am a little concerned it might have a little too much comfort layer built in, and adding a 2" topper might be overkill. That leaves me with two options I like:

1. The Orthopedic Adjustable (wouldn’t use it as an adjustable, which means they put the 6 gauge edge support back in). This has their 12 3/4 gauge offset coil. It is 11 1/2" thick, which means there is approximately 3 1/4" comfort per side, assuming the innerspring is 5". It seems pretty comfortable with the topper on it, but they only have a twin on the floor to try out and I’m looking at a king.

2. The Regency Sapphire. This uses the verticoil (LFK) coil system. It is a 14.5 gauge coil, but with many more coils as compared to the Ortho innersprings. It is a 10" mattress, which means it would have about 2.5" of comfort per side, assuming a 5" innerspring. This felt like it conforms to the body better than the Ortho innerspring and was very comfortable with their 2" topper, but I wonder how durable this coil system is as compared to their Ortho innerspring. He told me the Regency innerspring was about 34 lbs (I think) for a full and the Ortho was about 45 lbs (I think) for a full. That seems like a big difference on the amount of steel.

The person at OMF said they use polyfoam with a density of 1.8 in both the Ortho and Regency mattresses. So, if the quality of the comfort layers are equal, just different amounts, is there a big advantage to going with one over the other as far as quality? And how do you feel about 1.8 foam? I thought I’d feel more comfortable with the firmer innerspring, but after laying on both for a while, I’m re-thinking that. I’m just afraid the LFK coils won’t last as long and might sag due to the thinner gauge coils.

Any thoughts on these two innerspring systems? I saw you call the Verticoil more of an entry/mid level coil system.

Thanks

Hi ResearchOverkill,

I would make sure that you know the exact foam layers that are used in each mattress and I would want more than just a “general” description of the foam density.

1.8 lb polyfoam would be a durable material in a two sided mattress (see the guidelines here) but I would also be aware that convoluted polyfoam isn’t as durable as a solid foam layer.

The 12.5 gauge knotted offset coil would be a stronger coil system than the Verticoil but neither coil system is likely to be the weakest link in either mattress (this would be in the foam layers) so once you know the specifics of the foam layers in each mattress if they are closely comparable I would choose the mattress that was the best match for you in terms of PPP…

Phoenix

Sorry I haven’t gotten back sooner. I was trying to get some detailed information from OMF about their layers. Here is what I have found out:

Orthopedic Luxury firm:

• 3/4" 1.5lbs quilted top layer
  • 3/4" 1.5lbs convoluted foam
  • Two 1/4" 1.2lbs foam layers
  • Compressed fiber
  • 12 3/4 gauge knotted offset coil 486 count (queen)

Orthopedic Adjustable:

• 3/4" 1.2lbs quilted top layer
  • compressed fiber
  • 12 3/4 gauge knotted offset coil 486 count (queen)

Regency Sapphire:

• 3/4" 1.2lbs quilted top layer
  • compressed fiber (I believe it is slightly different than the Ortho compressed fiber)
  • 14 1/2 gauge LFK coil 800 count (queen)

I called one of the local factory stores and she looked it up in the “factory book” for me. This is different than the 1.8lbs polyfoam I was told by someone at a different store. Given the specs above, the comfort layer does not seem to meet your standards for a quality comfort layer, even for a 2-sided mattress. What do you think? Opinions? Any other places you think I should look in the 30518 (north of Atlanta) zip code?

Thanks again for the reply and thanks for all you do. You really do make us think about what we are buying without just believing what they say. You make a big difference.

Hi ResearchOverkill,

Thanks for taking the time to find out the “accurate” specs of the mattresses :slight_smile:

The specs you indicated would be at the lower end of the guidelines here (no more than about an inch or so of lower quality materials and a minimum of 1.5 lb polyfoam in a two sided mattress) and as long as that mattress was well inside the range that was suitable for you in terms of PPP (and not on the edge of being too soft) and you flipped and turned the mattress on a regular basis (see post #2 here) then there wouldn’t be any obvious weak links in any of the mattresses you listed and they would probably be a more durable choice than many other options you have available in a similar budget range.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Atlanta, GA area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix