Very hot sleeper in mattress hell trying to find a new mattress. Please help!

Thanks again Phoenix!

Could you post a link to the testing guidelines for pressure point relief? I know they’re in here somewhere, but I’m having trouble finding them. I am thinking I’m in agreement with you about possibly avoiding the Doctors Choice plush from what I remember them feeling like in the store. However, I also don’t want something that’s going to be too firm for a side sleeper. Just initially I didn’t feel that the Doctor’s Choice firm felt extremely firm (compared to some other firm mattresses at least), but I’d want to do a more thorough test and see. Oh man I’m starting to feel like I’m one of those princess and the pea type sleepers haha! I hope one of these is a winner!

Hi agims,

While I really don’t have a definitive guide on testing for pressure, as that is accomplished by you taking the time to test a product in person and your reaction after that activity, you may be referring to some of these posts:

Post #15 here talks about softness and pressure.

Post #2 here talks about the differences of firmnesses and the steps in the mattress shopping tutorial regarding what I call PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

There are some general comments about the properties of an “ideal” mattress in post #4 here.

There is an article here about comfort and pressure relief.

I hope that helps. If not, let me know specifically what you had read and I’ll see if I can find it.

Phoenix

Thanks! It was this article that I had read! In other posts, I’ve seen you refer to using the testing guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial to test out a mattress before purchasing one. Is this article what you are referring to (or part of what you’re referring to)?

On a positive note, Saatva is probably the nicest company I’ve ever had to return a major purchase to :lol: (although I don’t know that I’ve ever had to return a major purchase before :lol:). So far so good.

Hi agims,

Yes, that was the last link I proved in my earlier reply. That certainly is a good guideline. There are so many links, replies and comments I’ve accumulated over the years on these topics that I’m never sure which one someone needs/wants! But you’ve found it.

I’m very happy that Saatva is taking care of your return for you in a nice manner. It’s to your credit you purchased something that does allow for a return/exchange. Good job!

I’m interested to learn of the results of your “mattress testing trip”.

Phoenix

Ok all, here are some updates.

First of all, I received and tried out this 100% cotton comforter I ordered (I got the lightweight version) as well as these bamboo sheets I ordered. I also received these cotton sheets, but haven’t tried them out yet.

I have to say, I felt like the bamboo sheets combined with the all cotton comforter was a really great combination for me! (At least for the one night I slept in that combination so far.) So I’m pretty excited about that.

Also, I went to Denver Mattress and I ended up ordering the Doctor’s Choice Plush mattress. I was tempted to get the firm, just due to heat concerns, but I really think I would be waking up with sore hips and shoulders with a mattress that firm. So I am going to keep my fingers crossed that with the comforter/sheet combo, the bed will work out well for me (or at least be good enough most nights haha). And I expected that the Denver Mattress bed would be a little less than what I paid with the Saatva, but it was actually about half the price so that was an unexpected bonus surprise (I think I can actually buy a new phone now even, which I’ve kinda been wanting woo whoo! :lol:)!

Still have to wait on pickup of the Saatva and then get this new bed delivered. Will keep you all updated!

Hi agims,

Thank you for the update.

I’m glad you like your new comforter and bamboo sheets, and I hope they work out well on your new mattress.

The Doctor’s Choice Plush seemed to be a better choice for you than the Madison Plush, so I’m glad you went that route. While this may be a bit softer than your old mattress, our bodies need different levels of comfort as time goes by, so I hope this mattress will offer “just enough” softness without insulating you too much.

Looking forward to your progress.!

Phoenix

Thanks for the update agims! You’ve made a great deal of progress very quickly. Hope it all works out and can’t wait to hear more. Starting this weekend, I get out from behind the computer and start hitting the mattress stores around here to at least get a feel for some of this stuff I keep reading about. My first stop is a shop that carries Therapedic mattress with microcoils in the comfort layer — interested to see how that feels overall as I hear microcoils are “cooler” than foam (although yes, I know it has foam too!)

Haha yes well my trial period on the Saatva was ending somewhat soon, so I kind of was forced into working on this more than I may have otherwise.

Yeah I’d be really interested in microcoils for comfort as well! [strike]There’s just not anywhere in town that carries anything like that unfortunately![/strike] Correction. We have an American Furniture Warehouse which carries Therapedic. So I guess that’s another option to explore if this one doesn’t work out or in the future! You’ll have to tell us how you like it!

I definitely will. I feel like we are on the same mattress hunt agims :slight_smile: I didn’t get a chance to go out today like I thought but since it is a long weekend (off on Monday) hope to get there tomorrow or Monday… stay tuned!

So fwiw, I hit the local mattress store today (one of the only truly local shops around here in sea of big chains).

I tested out something with memory foam / cool gel memory foam (yeah - no way AT ALL), a Therapedic with microcoils in the comfort layer, few other Therapedic variations, and finally an all latex Savvy Rest mattress. In short, I completely surprised myself and LOVED the all latex Savvy Rest. (Of course, the most expensive by a long shot)

The Therapedic with the microcoils was just a tad too soft for me. Compared to the other Therapedics without the microcoils it did feel a bit springier which I liked - had the overall plushness been a bit less and more in line with what I apparently prefer, it would have given me a lot to think about.

The Savvy Rest was a Med Talalay, Med Dunlop, Firm Dunlop set up. As far as comfort goes, it felt pretty near perfect for me. I tried it multiple times as I compared against the Therapedics as well as laying on it for a solid 15 minutes. Of course my only concern, beside the budget, would be the temperature. I know of no way of truly testing this without actually sleeping on one overnight. Of course I guess that is pretty true of any mattress (minus memory foam - we all know not to go there if you have heat issues!)

Nice! If you do end up getting it and trying it out you’ll have to tell me how it is. I have been curious about latex as it’s supposed to be the most breathable of the foam type of materials. We have no stores that have any mattresses with latex in them at all in town.

Hi photocat,

I’m glad you were able to get out and try some mattresses. As you discovered, there is replacement for careful personal testing of an item.

You’re certainly considering a mattress that uses higher quality componentry and there would be no “weak links” in a mattress like this. Savvy Rest mattresses contain high quality componentry, but as you mentioned they are in a higher price range. If you want to consider an all-latex mattress, you may wish to look online and use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices and compare to the Savvy Rest you liked in-store. There are a wide range of latex options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency, and they offer pricing that can be in a more affordable range than the Savvy Rest products.

I know you’ve ben following this thread already, but there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that I posted earlier. Talalay latex is the most breathable foam, and the covering you sampled containing wool is very good at being more neutral for temperature. Also, the combination you like is a bit of a “firmer” configuration, and you’d be “on” the mattress more than “in” it, which would help minimize the insulating effects of any foam. Of course, as you mentioned, there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials, and it is a very subjective experience.

Phoenix

Thanks so much Phoenix - you are truly an invaluable source of much needed information!!!

I am still surprised by how much I liked that latex bed! There really is no substitute for trying and feeling in person whenever possible. I will definitely look into the other choices you provided for similar but alternate versions to the Savvy Rest. Though part of me may still stick with Savvy Rest if I can swing it. I didn’t realize until I researched them (after my in store experience) they are actually a “local” company, approximately 60 or so miles away from where I live. Kind of nice to shop and support local when I can. Still much to consider and, as always, you’ve given me so much more to think about and research. I still have a ways to go before “my final answer” :slight_smile:

Hi photocat,

Thank you very much. I’m glad to be of service.

Yes, even with the knowledge and resources I have at hand, your actual testing will tell you more about comfort than I could ever predict.

If you are near Charlottesville, it certainly would be worth a visit to their showroom. I’ve spoken with them and they are very knowledgeable and friendly. And they just announced that their Serenity mattress, Dunlop or Talalay, is now GOTS certified as a completed mattress.

Keep us updated.

Phoenix

Well…I got my new mattress. And unfortunately it still feels quite warm to me. I am actually currently sleeping with my parents sleeper sofa mattress on top of this mattress. This is reasonably comfortable for me as this mattress is made more how my old mattress was, with minimal padding and more pressure point relief from springs. So it keeps me cool without being too firm. I am considering purchasing something like this topper from Naturepedic. This is very discouraging.

I just really don’t think they make mattresses that are suitable for me these days in anything that is close to my price range. That being said, there are some other factors that I think could be exacerbating my insomnia (which in all fairness I’ve always had trouble with off and on) other than the warmth of the mattress, but the coolness of the sleeper sofa mattress definitely seems to help me sleep a little better. Ugh.

Hi agims,

Thanks for the update. I’m sorry you’re still sleeping warm on your new mattress.:frowning:

It does seem that you are very sensitive to the insulating factor of almost any foam. Based upon using the sleeper sofa mattress, which generally uses very little poly foam of a low density, with a flexible spring unit, something like a microcoil topper might be a viable option, essentially reproducing, albeit in a higher quality, the sleeper sofa spring unit. My concern would be if this would eventually be too soft for you overall on top of your current mattress and if you’d have to switch to the firm version of the Doctor’s Choice.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for your input once again! I had wondered about the overall setup being too soft myself. I do have four months to return or exchange the Doctors Choice Plush (but have to try it for 30 days first). I figured if I do order the microcoil topper, I can always test it out on my parents guest bed as well, which is very firm. This will at least give me somewhat of an idea of how it would be on a firmer mattress and help me choose if I’d like to exchange for a different firmness with the Doctor’s Choice. The guest bed is a full and the topper would be a queen sized to fit my bed, so it wouldn’t be perfect but hey I’m kind of frankensteining this whole operation at this point anyways haha. :lol: :silly: Do you know of any other toppers like this that are available? I didn’t really find any with a Google search, but thought I’d ask. :slight_smile:

agims

Thanks for the update - was really hoping to hear back from you soon. So sorry and very disappointing to hear the heat struggle continues. I was actually going to update you all that I just purchased the Savvy Rest (from top to bottom - med talalay, med dunlop, firm dunlop) but due to my own scheduling needs won’t get it until March. I talked and tried it at 2 local dealers and called Savvy Rest and questioned all about the heat factor. All, of course, said basically the same thing - no heat issues at all, and the way it is made, it breathes, etc. Fingers crossed as I’m committed now.

My “heat” issue is my mattress absorbs my heat and retains it. I can’t find a cool spot. (This is my old innerspring mattress). I’m not particularly hopeful any mattress will overcome this for me but we’ll soon see.

Hi agims,

There are a few more sources for microcoil toppers listed in post #4 here. Therapedic also offers one at Bed Bath and Beyond.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: therapedic.com/bedding-and-home/mattress-toppers/therapedic-3-5-inch-micro-coil-mattress-topper/

Phoenix

Hi photocat,

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer: You certainly chose something that uses high quality componentry.

While you won’t receive your mattress for some time, I do look forward to any future updates you’re able to provide.

Phoenix