Vi-Spring Sublime Superb

After many years of testing and researching Hastens, we finally purchased a Vi-Spring Sublime Superb. We spent hours testing the various types before settling on this one. We had our prior mattress ( a Sealy) for 12 years and, having suffered from irregular sleep, finally made this investment. We fell in love with the mattress at the store, and couldn’t wait for it to arrive. It finally did and I keep waiting to wake up with the feeling of having the best sleep ever, and not wanting to get out of bed. But, frankly, after 2 weeks it hasn’t yet happened. I will attest that we each feel minimal to no movement when the other gets out of bed or moves - which is an enormous improvement. And the clean, organic construction is a plus. But neither of us are blown over by the feel of the bed.

We understand that it can take time to adjust, but are concerned that 2 weeks is too long to be feeling “eh” and waking up with kinks in our necks. We have tried a number of different pillows to see if that would help but, so far, they haven’t. Any thoughts or advice?

Hi LadyL,

The goal of a mattress is that it “disappears” underneath you rather than being “wowed”. The closer you can come to forgetting your mattress and just plain “sleeping well” the more successful the mattress is.

All mattresses will go through an initial break in period (as you already know) and you will go through an adjustment period as well … both of which can take up to 90 days or so … so the first suggestion would be more time. Natural fibers can take a little more time to take on the shape of your body.

As you also know already based on your comments, the most common causes of kinks in your neck would be your pillow or a sleeping position which “twists” your neck (such as stomach sleeping) rather than keeping your neck and head in good alignment. This may take some experimentation with different pillow options even though it sounds like you’ve tried a number of different options already. This would be particularly true if you are a combination sleeper that sleeps in different positions or a stomach sleeper (where no pillow at all or a very thin pillow may be necessary).

The final suggestion would be to contact the retailer that you purchased it from because they will be much more familiar with any options you have (such as an exchange or the choice of a different tension for the mattress you have if its necessary).

If pressure points are an issue or you need more depth to sink into then I also understand that they have a topper which has natural fibers and can be added on top of their mattresses.

The most important of these though would be to contact the retailer because the VI springs retailers tend to be very responsive to customers and after sales service because they have a very strong vested interest in protecting the reputation of their ultra premium mattresses and in most cases they really do want their customers long term satisfaction to be their best advertising.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the quick reply. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a quality mattress, and is distinctly constructed from others on which I’ve slept. Also, I should have noted that the retailers are absolutely lovely and knowledgable, and have helped with pillow suggestions (as well as provided different pillows which might help- free of charge). I am fairly certain that the pillow/mattress combination is what needs to be resolved, rather than the mattress being the issue, because the discomfort is only in my neck when I wake up. In fact, Murphy’s law kicked in yesterday after I wrote this post and the mattress felt very nice on my body as I sank into sleep and when I woke up. You are correct in saying that one should feel vaguely but not specifically supported at all points - that proved to be the case.

My last pillow (on my old mattress), gave me ideal neck support. It was an ergonomic v-pillow, with a recessed center and stuffed “v” that gave ideal neck support when on back or side (I’m a side/back sleeper). But with the Vi-Spring, it feels too supportive. So, I’ve been trying the very nice Siberian goose down pillows recommended by my retailer. It’s early days with that one (day 2), so the jury is still out.

For other readers - please do take note of the exceptional qualities of this mattress, such as not feeling one’s partner move about and the quality, organic construction and materials. I am fairly certain that I will love this mattress - my only question is to figure out how to get there faster!

Hi LadyL,

As you are mentioning … the odds are very high that this is a pillow issue (and a sleeping position issue would be the second highest possibility).

When you have a new mattress, the gap between your head and neck and your mattress changes because you will be sinking into the mattress differently and this often indicates the need for a new pillow as well. I can take some trial and error though to find the pillow that provides you a combination of your needs (good head and neck alignment in all your sleeping positions) and also your preferences. Subjective preferences play a much more important role with a pillow than with a mattress because the pillow is so close to our face which is very sensitive to preferences of “feel”.

The pillow thread here may also be helpful

Phoenix

I’m bringing up this older thread as I recently experienced a very similar situation after purchasing a new VI-Spring bed. We were looking for great sleep and after lots of research and testing different beds we ordered a VI-Spring Regal Superb.
The bed is beautifully made and seemed very comfortable, even more so than my recollection from the show room. After two nights I found I was waking up with a sore neck and upper back. This wasn’t a single morning, it was happening every day. It was disconcerting after all the research and testing and then ordering and waiting for the new bed to find out it hurts more than the old one.
After talking to the bed retailer they asked what pillow was being used and talked how it can affect the neck and alignment. The pillows we were using were also new and were high quality down filled, but as it turned out they were too firm for me and they were what was causing the problem. I tried the old pillows to find the neck pain went away and let the new bed disappear.

It was a fairly long road to getting a great feeling bed and pillows but hopefully well worth it in the long run. This site has been immensely helpful in the accurate and in-depth information available to help choose and purchase a bed.

Thanks so much for sharing that. We are now 6 months into our use of this mattress, and the neck pain has gone away. I also experimented back and forth with new, old and specialized pillows, and found that my old, flat pillow was the best. The mattress is just so supportive that you really don’'t need much for the head and neck. We are really pleased with this mattress!

This is comforting news. Had I known this early on I could have saved a considerable amount on the new pillows. But knowing the bed isn’t the problem and should live up to its expectations makes me feel way better.

Hi beauport and LadyL,

Thanks to both of you for the feedback and I’m glad to see that you seem to have sorted out your pillow issues :slight_smile:

Your experiences both go to show the importance of a suitable pillow in a “sleeping system” … even with a mattress that is as high quality as both of you own.

Phoenix