Want a quality comfortable mattress

I have been reading information on your site for the last few days… To be honest I am more confused now than ever. I am looking for a quality comfortable medium soft range queen bed. Honestly the price is not the deciding factor. I have had many orthopedic surgeries and am considering memory foam. I have read about the thickness and weight but as far as i know there are no mattress stores that sell the “off brand non S name models” like you mention in all your posts. I am hesitant to purchase online. I have tried a Beautyrest Series 3.5 that seemed comfortable but do not like what I see in the mattress reviews. I have also tried the Stearns and Foster luxury hybrid Killead which was also reviewed unfavorably. I realize every person has different likes and opinions, but I just don’t know where to go. I have had a White Dove Chiropractic double pillow top for 20 plus years which has been a great mattress but it is time for change. Can you offer options to small town America without buying online. Everytime I turn on computer more and more online ads pop up but I am so hesitant. Help!?

We’re from big town America but we bought our mattress in small town America.

We did try the online purchase and it didn’t work out for us. Online sellers mean well, but it takes more than a phone conversation to fit a mattress to a person. If you sleep with a partner, it’s even more complicated.

We bought our mattress and adjustable slat foundation, along with proper pillows and mattress protection at Design Sleep in Yellow Springs, Ohio (small town America). We spent two hours on mattresses including comfort sampling, slat adjustments to achieve proper spinal alignment and extensive face to face conversations . That’s a lot more than a phone call or email will ever achieve.

It’s okay to be skeptical regarding online mattress fits, and since you are, do your best to visit a reputable and caring dealer who is more interested in your health than a suggestion of what may work for you.

The Mattress Underground has at least two dealer members similar to Design Sleep who offer the same mattresses and face to face customer service. Scott Jordan Furniture and Urban Natural Home Furnishings.

Wishing you Good Sleep, when you find it.

Hi RNMomma,

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps most importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones (including the major brands … see the guidelines here).

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Once you get to step 3 in the tutorial if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

I have read all the topics you suggested but like I said before I am more confused. I had planned on purchasing a Beautyrest or Stearns and Foster until I came upon this site. I live in Warren Ohio and all the mattress stores sell the “S” mattresses. There is a Mattress Firm, Sleepy Hollow Sleep Shop and furniture stores but they all sell the same ones. I don’t want to pull the trigger and buy online if I don’t have to. They all sound wonderful in the advertising which just confuses me more. Hope you have some suggestions

Thank you for the information but unfortunately nothing is close to me. I live in a small town close to Warren Ohio. About 4 hours from Columbus. Cleveland is about 90 minutes away but doubt I could get delivery. I might just have to try online or buy a Beautyrest memory foam??

Hi RNmomma,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your general area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here. You have some good options or possibilities other than “S” mattresses in reasonable driving distance.

Which step in the tutorial are you “stuck” on?

If you have any questions that can help clear up any confusion you may have I’d certainly happy to answer them.

As I mentioned earlier I would avoid all the major brands or any mattress that uses lower quality or “unknown” materials (in the comfort layers especially). If you are considering an online purchase the tutorial includes several links to lists of the better online options that I’m aware of (in the optional online step).

Phoenix

It’s unfortunate that your location doesn’t offer many choices. However, there is a King Coil dealer in your area. I don’t know much about King Coil, but they appear to be a high quality manufacturer. At least one member of The Underground sells King Coil so it must have a good reputation. It’s definitely worth a look before you buy an “S”.

Hi PapaMike,

I’m not so sure I would completely agree with this (see the list of top 15 manufacturers here). While a few of their mattresses do use good quality materials (such as some of their Extended Life mattresses) … there are also many of them that don’t so I would be very cautious with King Koil. King Koil is also a licensee brand with different manufacturers that make their mattresses in different areas of the country that can be different from each other so it can also depend on the factory that makes them

I would also be very cautious about brand shopping in general because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and all manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. The name of the manufacturer on the label won’t tell you anything about whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress. There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here. With manufacturers that have a “few” good mattresses and many that aren’t particularly good quality or value I would focus much more on the type and quality/durability of the materials inside a mattress (which are important to know anyway) than I would on the name of the manufacturer on the label.

Phoenix

Oops! Sorry for making a King Coil recommendation. I assumed wrongly that King Coil would police their licensees and manufacturing facilities close enough to insure the same quality from each.

Does that mean it’s not wise to buy a King Coil from a member of The Underground without investigating the licensee?

Hi PapaMike,

Most licensee brands don’t always make the same mattresses in all areas of the country and each licensee factory can often produce their own designs and put the manufacturer’s name on the label (which is why they pay for the rights to use the name) so it’s not so much about “policing” as about always making sure that you know the type and quality of any mattress you are considering regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

No not at all. Members of this site are transparent about the type and quality of the materials in their mattresses and the knowledge, experience, and transparency of the retailer or manufacturer you purchase from can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase. They will already know what you would otherwise need to learn or find out.

For example … Mattress To Go here is a member of this site and is one of the most knowledgeable retailers in the industry. Jeff the owner makes sure that he is comfortable with the quality and durability of all the materials in any mattress he puts on his showroom floor (using similar guidelines to the ones I suggest on the forum) and he carries a few of the King Koil mattresses made by his local licensee factory that have “passed” his qualifications but doesn’t carry most of them either because they don’t “fit” in his lineup (he has a relatively small store) or for the same reasons I would suggest avoiding them.

Phoenix