want to buy best,most organic,lower price&best warranty foam or gel mattress-had waterbed 30 years

I’m probably looking for alot. I’ve slept on a California king full flow waterbed for 30 years. We’ve moved and have a 2 story house. My daughter is having a fit afraid it will fall through the floor. We also had a plumber let a faucet leak and ruined floors so I didn’t want to fill up the bed and then have to drain it. I’ve been sleeping on an air mattress in the pedestal waterbed frame. My back/neck is achy all the time. I was in a car wreck and have several torn, and bulging disc plus arthritis from the wreck I’m sure. I refuse painpills, shots etc for it. Someone told me that was in their 20’s with same condition they got a foam mattress and back fills better.

I don’t want a mattress that is hot as I have Asthma plus on the second floor it gets hot in the summer upstairs. Which mattress is most reasonable, made in the US with no bad smells or VOC’s? I was looking at the Dream Foam Ultimate Dreams on Amazon. I would love to find one cheaper if possible :wink: Any suggestions? I also would like a longer warranty. I’m not sure what firmness. I like the feeling of the 100% free flow waterbed for years. I’m guessing the wood platform will make one feel firmer? It’s about 8" deep so should I get an 8, 10 or ?? My daughter has heard waterbeds are bad for the back but I’ve been reading they are better for it. Any info on that? Thanks so much for any help! Kim

I sleep on my side or stomach, and weigh 120 pounds. I saw a bed at gelfoambed.com are they good for the cheapest one? I want to order one tomorrow. I looked around locally to see if anyone had the try it out trial but Sears no longer did, and many places don’t even carry them… thanks!

well unfortunately it’s not that simple.

if you want a cheap, cool mattress that doesn’t smell - you can always get an innerspring. an innerspring may be perfectly fine for your back, although it won’t be very comfortable with respect to pressure points such as hips and shoulders.

memory foam may be hot and / or smell. latex can be expensive.

i would suggest you look into either latex over high density poly foam or latex over springs. poly foam base will be more comfortable but warmer and may not last as long. springs will last longer than cheap foam and be cooler but less comfortable.

of course once you got a certain amount of latex over the springs the coolness advnantage of springs will be lost. so you will need to put up with a certain amount of hardness to get the coolness.

but if you want to have your cake and eat it too then you’re looking at organic wool over latex and then you are talking big bucks.

in any case - since you have a serious back problem i suggest you don’t buy any bed without testing it in person. when it comes to back problems it’s not an exact science - the bed may or may not work regardless of how it is constructed - you simply need testing - and the testing needs to be as long term as you can muster.

Hi KiminTN,

The fist place I would start in any search for a new mattress is post #1 here which will give you the information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

There are far too many variables and individual preferences involved to provide a single answer to your questions or have someone else answer which single mattress is “best” for you. You will need to do the research and testing that can answer these questions for yourself based on your own unique circumstances, needs, and preferences. As you will see in the linked post … who you “connect” with can be just as important as which mattress you are considering. As an example … post #2 here and post #29 here will help you learn about the many different factors that are involved in the sleeping temperature of a mattress so you can evaluate the mattresses you look at and are available in your area against the information there to give you a reasonable idea of how warm it may sleep for you (which may be different from someone else).

In the same way … questions about the safety of a mattress will depend on your answer to the question “How safe is safe enough for me?” because there is no one answer that fits all people, circumstances, or sensitivities. Post #2 here and post #2 here may give you the information that will help you in answering this question as well. Of course … connecting with the better informed and experienced manufacturers and retailers in your area can also help a great deal because they will likely already know what you would otherwise need to spend a great deal of time learning. Who you connect and deal with and their own knowledge and experience is the best “shortcut” that exists.

You can read more about waterbeds in this article.

Most of your other questions are either too broad or too specific to you to have any meaningful answers because you would first need to have a bit more context, testing, and basic information behind you. You are looking for answers that don’t exist to the level of specificity that you are looking for and that nobody can answer for you without your own research, input, and testing. I would first follow the first few steps in the first post I linked and then when you get to step 3 if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Based on the questions you are asking … I don’t think you are close to being ready to order a mattress by tomorrow. A mattress is one of the most important purchases you will make and will have a significant impact in your overall wellbeing over the next decade or so and I would strongly encourage you to take a little more time to learn a little more and connect with some knowledgeable people to help improve the odds of making a good quality, good value, and informed choice that is suitaqble for your own specific needs and preferences…

One small step at a time :slight_smile:

Phoenix