Want To Understand latex mattress & other stuff

Hi good day The Mattress Underground. I have a few doubts and question below regarding my bed from Nature’s Rest, which I hope you could kindly help me out with.

I am from Malaysia , to begin with. And recently during a huge fair hosted in Malaysia, Johor Bahru, where all the mattress brands comes into place together to sell their mattress during the fair, brands like Simmons, Getha , Dunlopillo as well as Nature’s Rest. So, I bought the bed + mattress from Nature’s Rest, and I was told that my mattress which I have chosen, is a super single and the specs of the bed is Pocket Spring with Latex Foam, if I remember correctly, the sales lady told me it is pure 100% Latex.

Now, here comes my 1st question, I contacted the US side of Nature’s Rest and they have told me they do not have any manufacturer or company or branch in Malaysia, and the Nature’s Rest that I bought from, they are indeed Nature’s Rest, with all the original logo and name, the only difference is they have a manufacturer that makes the bed and mattresses etc that is located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, named Goodmatt Solution, which is under Daizen Trading. So, can I be sure that the bed and mattress that I ordered/bought from Nature’s Rest during the fair in Malaysia, is the same spec as the one in the US ?

Also, my 2nd question would be, when my mattress arrives, how can I tell whether or not if it is really 100% latex foam and as well using pocket spring as a support for the mattress ? Is there a way to differentiate ? Also would like to put it here, my pillow and bolster comes as a set with the mattress and bed, i was told my pillow is Latex Pillow, and bolster is polyester, so is Latex Pillow good to sleep on ? And will it be hot to sleep on ? Same question for the bolster, is it good to sleep / hug on ? Will it be hot/warm after some time ?

My last question would be, I was told my mattress involves 2 layers, 1st layer being natural latex foam, 2nd layer being pocket spring, so, in that case, it gives a medium just the right firm and comfortable for most people who doesn’t have any back or neck pain, am I correct to say that? Also, when I asked if my mattress will be hot to sleep, i was told my mattress is also cotton so it’s breathable so it won’t be hot. So wait, where does cotton comes in ? I thought a mattress only consists of Latex and Pocket Spring ?And including my divan base , so does that mean inside my divan base is also pocket spring ?

EDIT 1 - I did asked my sales person about whether or not the mattress is mixed with Synthetic Latex or is it pure 100% natural latex, and they said look to our Nature’s Rest brochure, they do not use Synthetic latex at all, but the thing is, this manufacturer is in Malaysia, and the Nature’s Rest is in the US, which of course, this manufacturer is also a representative / factory that produces mattresses and bed of Nature’s Rest, so how can i be so sure of it ?

Hi Kryscent,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The focus of this web site is primarily on the USA/Canadian mattress market, but I’ll see if I can help you out.

Nature’s Rest is made by Spring Air, as you know. Consolidated Bedding, who owned Spring Air (and Nature’s Rest) went bankrupt in 2009 but it was quickly purchased by one of the original owners of Spring Air and re-launched soon after . Nature’s Rest was relaunched in 2010 .

It seems that the licensee holder of Spring Air (and Nature’s Rest) in Malaysia is the Massindo Group, so I would start with them. Their contact information is listed on their web site, along with the Spring Air web site (under Indonesia). They would best know what is being produced in the region and who they are authorizing to produce it. This is information I wouldn’t have access to but they of course would.

Regarding specifications, I would doubt that the specifications in Malaysia would be the same as the models in the USA. Licensees generally tailor their models to the preferences of their areas and regions of the world, with preferences tending to run toward a firmer surface comfort in Malaysia as compared to North America.

Short of ripping the mattress open, I would look for some sort of a law tag (I’m not sure what is required, if anything, in Malaysia) to see if any specifications are listed there. Otherwise, the best source of information would again be the people at the Massindo Group.

I wouldn’t be able to tell you if you would find a particular bolster or pillow comfortable, as there are far too many personal preferences involved to be able to make an accurate prediction. Latex pillows are a popular choice, but you’d want to make sure that you maintain a generally neutral alignment in your neck region when matched with your new mattress.

Regarding temperature, there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

There is no one mattress that is “best” for any particular sleeping positon or back pain. I would also keep in mind that the design of a mattress and how well it matches your unique needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is always much more important than the types of materials and components that are inside it or the type of mattress you choose, although as described your mattress seems to contain higher quality materials. Each mattress category includes hundreds or even thousands of different mattresses and there may be several mattresses in each category that are a perfect “match” for you or any particular person and there will be many others in each category that may completely unsuitable for you to sleep on.

They were probably referring to cotton used in the cover of your mattress, but as I have no idea what mattress you chose or the componentry used on the inside, I can’t be sure.

Divan bases don’t usually have pocketed springs, but commonly have some sort of a solid deck. But again, I wasn’t there when you bought your item, so I would have no way of knowing what you purchased.

My best advice would be to contact the Massindo Group directly, as they would be in the best position to have more detailed knowledge of the products you reviewed and purchased.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the reply Phoenix. I have contacted Massindo Group and awaiting their reply for my questions. Regarding the mattress materials, they have said they are using Cotton Cloth for the mattress, which then I believe the layers are the same, which is 1st layer being Latex and 2nd layer being pocket spring respectively.

Another question comes into my mind as you were saying about Latex , as I understand, there are 100% Natural Latex, Natural Latex, and Pure Latex, am I right ? So is the mattress that I bought considered 100% Latex ? Is 100% Natural Latex means that the mattress’ layer consists of only Latex and not any material such as pocket spring on the 2nd layer or whatsoever ? How do I know if my mattress is 100% natural latex or not then ? I was told my mattress spec is Pocket Spring with Latex Foam as mentioned above.

Also, another thing I would wanna know is that does every mattress comes with 2 layers ? Like, I’m confused, does 100% Latex means both 1st and 2nd layer of the mattress is also latex or it does not mean that way ? What I assume it would be is that every mattress comes with 2 layers, just with different material, 100% latex or natural latex or what else, would always be in one of the 2 layers of the mattress, am I correct to say that? Of course I would still want to have my question answered regarding the 100% latex as mentioned above this.

Another question in reply to your answer would be , so you’re saying that a divan base doesn’t necessarily have to have any pocket spring in it ? It could just be an empty base just to increase the height of the mattress ? When I purchased it along with everything, I wasn’t told of any spring or anything, and so I asked the same sales lady and she told me divan base will be made out of wood, which I clearly knows it is made out of woods, correct me if I’m wrong. But then she did not mention about the pocket spring or not, all she said was the bed frame and the divan base will be made out of wood, would that be true? And so, in that sense, it means that my divan base is empty inside ? Is that normal ?

Hi Kryscent,

Latex can be made with the Dunlop or Talalay process, and the latex (rubber particles) of the foam can be natural (NR), synthetic (SBR) or a blend of the two (NR/SBR). The differences are explained in more detail in post #6 here.

I would have no idea what you purchased, as I wasn’t there with you. That is a question for the Massindo Group.

This would usually be a descriptor of the latex layer, meaning that the latex is 100%NR.

You’re making assumptions upon facts you don’t currently have in hand, so you should wait for confirmation of your product from the Massindo Group.

No. There is no standard number of layers. Mattress can have form one to any number of layers (some over 10).

You’re again asking me to divine the construction of the product you purchased without me having any knowledge of what you purchased, so I don’t know how you would expect me to be able to provide you with any accurate information about what you bought. These seem to be questions that you should have asked the actual retailer before you purchased those items, which I am assuming you were personally in the presence thereof. Divans are a style of platform bed upon which a mattress is placed, often with storage underneath. There are hundreds of different versions available. You can perform an online search for “divan bed” to see many examples. They are commonly made of wood or metal and don’t usually contain springs or coils, but a version of a firm deck.

Phoenix