Warm Mattress Raises Heart Rate Instead of Sweating - Anyone Else?

When sleeping warm/hot, instead of sweating, my heart seems to beat faster, although maybe it’s higher blood pressure or something, because when I’ve taken my pulse it’s 58 just like always, at least short-term. But I’ll wake up completely tired, as if I’ve run all night. I may or may not wake up to remove a blanket (which won’t really help - I’ll be cold on top and hot on the bottom).

Does anyone else have this and have been able to do anything about it?

Normally I sleep colder than anyone else, even in summer.

Doctors look at me funny and change the subject.

Does anyone know what causes any kind of temp sensitivity, other than thyroid stuff?

It must be awfully common, judging by the efforts by the mattress industry trying to address it!

Is this stuff fun, or what?

I want to be an endocrinologist when I grow up.

And BTW all kinds of things make me sleep hot. Glad to hear others are having problems with supposedly “Cool” gel foam and Outlast, and such. I’ve tried at least 6 toppers, with various things above them, (New Zealand wool was recommended - nope.), all out of the question so far.

And to think I once had a plain old Sealy Firm that I had to put a blanket on top of, under the mattress pad, cuz it was so cold!

Hi Marin,

While of course I can’t diagnose medical issues … post #2 here has more information about the many factors that can affect sleeping temperature and may be helpful :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Overheating is a common problem for many. Something that has worked well for many of our customers are the ChiliPads which allow you to control the sleep surface like your home or your car. They come in single and dual zones and can set your sleep surface preferred temperature between 46 degrees to 118 degrees F. They control the temperature of the water continuously circulating through medical-grade silicone tubing in the pad so you can achieve your perfect individual sleep environment. You can take a full look at this product here: ChiliPad

Wow…the things I don’t know. Free at last ! !

Your link only showed the whole Chili Bed, which I will surely drive the 50m to try out, but amazon has just the cover system for $449 too, which would enable me to get any bed I want. Found some other great stuff while looking for that, like all-organic stuff, and Merino Wool bedding, (which I now probably won’t need, but they sure know how to take an inviting-looking picture!)

Thanks!!!

If I could get the emoticons to work, you’d be seeing a few of the woohoo and a few others.

What is sleepoutlet? All I could find online was some part of Target, and it was down, got the old “Sorry, something went wrong” when trying to get to it.

P.S. I hate to be a princess on a pea, but do you feel the tubing? What do you feel when sleeping on it, do you know?

Marin:

Like Phoenix, I’m not a physician, but my degree is in health science and if your physician blows off your reports of a higher heart rate when supine versus prone, you may wish to find another physician. There are many things that can cause a racing heart, and some aren’t related to your sleeping temperature (although sleeping hot isn’t generally desirable). A sleep study often can assist with a diagnosis in this area.

Good luck.

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go