Warranty Issue

:frowning: My husband was advised by a retailer to purchase from them a talalay latex medium firm layer and a firm layer, based on his height and weight. He has only been sleeping on the bedding for 5 months and his back has gotten worse and worse. As instructed by the retailer, I put the layers on the floor with a broomstick across the top and a definite compression appears. I sent photos to the retailer but I didn’t measure the compression. It appears to be about 1 inch. The warranty specifies a compression of 1.5" to be eligible for return.

After only five months, how can this have happened? Sounds like a defective product to me.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the retailer to honor the warranty?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi mvdsegal,

There are two separate issues you are experiencing here so I will make some comments about both of them separately.

The first issue is your husbands back pain. This would be an issue of the suitability of the choice you made in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and is also likely related to your husbands health issues as well and the amount of time that he is spending on the mattress (see the comments in your previous topic here). These types of issues would be covered by any comfort exchange that was offered by the retailer or manufacturer you purchased from and wouldn’t be a warranty issue.

The second issue is about the durability of a mattress and the materials inside it. I’m not sure of the specifics of your mattress and all the materials and components inside it but all materials will soften and impress to some degree over time. Latex is the most durable of all the foam materials and will soften and compress more slowly over time than other types of foam materials but if your mattress also has a quilted cover or other materials then they will also be subject to some compression as well that would be considered to be normal.

All warranties will have exclusions so that a minimal amount of compression that would affect all materials aren’t considered to be defects so your warranty would only include impressions that are deeper than the warranty exclusion. The impressions also need to be measured to identify whether they are normal or the result of a defect in your mattress so a picture that doesn’t show the depth of the compressions won’t identify whether there is a warranty issue but if they are only 1" (some of which could be coming from the compression of the materials in the cover) then it wouldn’t be considered to be a defect in your mattress or a warranty issue that would allow you to replace it.

Post #4 here also has more information and suggestions about mattresses that are either too soft when they are new or have softened or are sagging over time that may also be helpful and will also give you some other things to check that may also be contributing to any impressions in your mattress besides just the mattress itself.

I would also make sure that you are rotating and flipping (if it’s two sided) your mattress on a regular basis (more frequently when it’s new) so that you can even out any initial softening or impressions that are connected to the initial break in period of your mattress as well (see post #2 here).

At this stage though … it doesn’t sound like your impressions are deep enough to be considered to be a defect that would be subject to a warranty replacement.

Phoenix