Warranty???

I am looking at two all latex mattress options. The first option is a 3x3" mattress offered as a package from flexus, and the second option is the DIY equivalent from Sleep EZ. The only material difference is the DIY option lacks a warranty and is about $375 less. I was able to test in person and know what I want as far as individual layers. I still am undecided on the warranty aspect though. It would be painful for me to replace an entire mattress, but replacing a single layer due to defect would be cheaper than the $375 difference in cost.

If anyone has insight on the following, it would be helpful in making a decision:

How frequently to manufacturing defects occur with latex and what do they usually consist of?
Do issues skew toward the first months/year of ownership or do they present evenly throughout the life of a mattress?

Any other suggestions/considerations on the topic would be appreciated.

Hey lantern71,

Welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your new mattress shopping journey :slight_smile: ! Thanks too for considering our expert trusted members Flexus Comfortand Sleep EZ, for a possible purchase. Both manufacturers have extensive experience in component design and offer excellent value for their mattress lines. Flexus Comfort and Sleep EZ extend a 90 day layer exchange and 90 day return policy, as well as warranty their products against manufacturers’ defects. The differences are in the length of their warranties (Flexus’s 30 year warranty vs. Sleep EZ’s 10- 20 year based on which mattress purchased) and degree of body impressions covered (less than 1" vs 1.5"). You can review Sleep EZ’s product warranty in detail at your convenience and let us know what other questions you have, I am not able to reference “the DIY option lacks a warranty” that you mention above.

Generally speaking lantern71, most mattress warranty issues occur within the first 9 months of use. However, of all the types of mattresses produced, latex mattresses have one of the lowest return rates from actual warranty issues. An all latex mattress should provide you with many years of useful life, as latex foam is one of the most durable of all mattress materials when used either as a comfort layer or as a support core. And as you have found, an all latex mattress can be quite expensive, depending on which manufacturing is process used (Talalay latex processing being more extensive than that of Dunlop latex). You should find the best value and quality of both Talalay and Dunlop latex with either of the above trusted members you’re considering.

The main consideration for your latex mattress will be proper foundation support. Use of a sturdy slatted wood frame with the slats being a minimum of 3" apart is key for maintaining the useful life of your latex bed (your manufacturer will make recommendations for what is best suited with use of their mattress and likely sell foundations as well). They also work well directly on the floor; I’ve slept with my latex mattress on the floor for many years and found that personally a delightful experience. Use of a foundation other than the type recommended by the manufacturer will effectively void any future warranty claims made by the consumer.

If you do decide to go with one of the trusted members, don’t forget to ask for your TMU discount as each consumer posting at least one question (and this one counts!) will receive a small discount from participating manufacturers as a Thank You for your support :wink: . Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Thanks,
Sensei