Went Mattress Shopping Today - and am now a bit overwhelmed :)

So I was kind of interested in the Serta iComfort line but when visiting Sleepy’s they said that they stopped carrying them because so many of them came back… (Like a very large portion)

So I talked with the salesperson - who seemed to genuinely care about helping. Due to recent back issues - and my 14 year old innerspring, it is time to buy something new - and ASAP.

So my primary concern is good spine alignment, 80% side sleeping, 20% stomach. (But I do lay on my bed a lot when not sleeping, so maybe that’s more like 90/10)

Anyway - I was open to foam/gel/latex - especially as I can at times lay on my bed up to 14 hours in a 24 hour period (if I’m working from home on my laptop for instance). I figured that foam would be better for longevity with that type of abuse. (Not a daily thing, but I also read on my bed - so it is not uncommon for me to spend 10-12 hours on it.

Anyway - here are the brands / models I looked at, interested in any thoughts on quality considering the above:

iSeries Flannery Firm - hybrid innerspring / foam $1299
Simmons BeautyRest Legend Firm - also hybrid $2050 - I kind of liked this one, but doesn’t have the easy returns of the iSeries.
Simmons BeautyRest Recharge Shakespear Supreme Luxury $1299
Tempur-Peidc Cloud - $1799. (I know it’s not considered firm, but it did support well)
Sleep Options Foam bed - there are a number of them, different “heights” and plush levels.

I really liked the Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody Breeze - but not going to spend $4k, so I barely tested it out. :slight_smile:

I do not mind paying for something that will help my back issues - and will be of good quality and therefore longevity. I would consider one of the latex beds that I posted about the other day, but I really need something quickly - and with a back problem, I need “white glove” to handle delivery and removal.

I would gladly listen to any insight you folks care to share. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Hi JackBauer,

I would probably “reset” your approach to mattress shopping and the first place I would start your mattress research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and avoid the worst ones including all the mattresses you mentioned in your post. It will hopefully also help keep you out of any of the chain stores where you aren’t likely to get any of the information you need to make informed buying decisions or meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix - I am guilty of missing the stickies again. Appreciate your advice, thank you.

One last question - you have offered in other threads that you track good “mattress outlets”.

Any chance you have any data on the Albany NY area?

Hi JackBauer,

Some of the better options or possibilities in the Albany, NY area I’m aware of are included in post #4 here :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I would recommend trying a pure latex bliss mattress. We love ours. I was really overwhelmed while shopping as well. When I did finally narrow my choices down I went to the store dressed as close to sleep as as reasonable. I brought my ipad and a book and spent a couple hours laying on mattresses. I didn’t think to bring my own pillows but did end up buying the latex ones I tried in the store :wink: