Went with Dreamfoam ultimate gel, questions about platform and protector

Hi All,
Was looking for a mattress on July 4th sales, almost went with USmattress sales, but stumbled on this site.

I purchased the dreamfoam ultimate gel because we really like the temperpedic cloud luxe, but its out of our price range. I’m hoping its not too firm for our liking, we really like the fluffy hotel beds. Will comment on that once we receive in the next few days.

Two questions:

1. We purchased a Sleep Master Platform Metal Bed Frame/Mattress Foundation, King from amazon. Can anyone who has the dreamfoam let me know if the mattress foundation is all you need? I’m not purchasing a boxspring, will this lead to damage on the mattress?

2. We also purchased this Sleep Tite by Malouf® Hypoallergenic 100% Waterproof Mattress Protector- 15-Year Warranty - King. Does anyone have any other recommendations on mattress protectors that may be cooler for dreamfoam? I’m worried this one will be too hot.

Thanks!

I am also looking at picking up the Dreamfoam Ultimate Gel. I did see that the Sleep Tite by Malouf® Hypoallergenic 100% Waterproof Mattress Protector was frequently bought together from this mattress. I would also like to know from anyone who bought this, does it dramatically change the way the bed feels?

I laid on the TP Cloude Luxe at the big box store and LOVED it. Curious if adding the mattress pad makes that big of difference. Thanks in advance!

Hi Bluesshred and spaumm,

This is very similar to one of the platform base/bedframes that Dreamfoam sells here except it’s a little lower quality and cost and seems to have larger gaps between the wires. It should be fine but it’s always a good idea to check with the manufacturer of your mattress if you are in any doubt about a foundation or bedframe that they don’t supply themselves. These perform a dual function and replace a regular steel bedframe and foundation.

You can see some of the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here. The thinner membrane types of protectors will generally have a minimal effect on the “feel” of a mattress for most people as long as they have the right pocket depth and aren’t too tight and create a “drum like” effect on top of the mattress. They are “semi breathable” so for a few people that are more sensitive they can have some effect on sleeping temperature but for most people they would be fine. There is some feedback from a couple of the members here that have used it here and here.

Phoenix

Just to add to what Phoenix wrote… I’ve had my Dreamfoam Ultimate Gel for six months now and bought that same Sleep Master platform with it only mine is a full size. The quality is great and it’s an excellent value. It’s rock solid and very quiet and there is no sagging between the wires at all. I think you’ll be really happy with it!

I got the Luna Premium Waterproof protector for mine and it’s fine. It is similar to the Malouf but it does not fully encase the mattress. Any protector or sheets you put on the bed will firm it up a bit, but I found this type along with jersey knit sheets to be the best combination to preserve the feel.

Hope you enjoy your Dreamfoam as much as I have!