What Are The Berkeley Ergonomics Specs

Hi mapadoobu,

Yes … this is what I was trying to explain. The “special” uses the same type of latex but the cover and quilting are different. In the 9000 models … the types of latex would be slightly different in both versions. The natural 9000 would use the same Dunlop on the bottom 6" if you chose it for these layers but the top 2" would be blended Talalay if you chose Talalay. In the organic 9000 the bottom 6" would be organic Dunlop instead of 100% natural Dunlop if you chose Dunlop (organic is more costly than the natural Dunlop) but the top 2" would be 100% natural Talalay if you chose Talalay. The reason these would be more comparable would be because the covers are more closely equivalent (wool quilted with cotton).

It would certainly make a difference in the cost of the mattress yes and it would also make a difference in the feel and performance. Some people would say the “feel” difference was smaller and some would say the difference was larger … depending on their perceptions … but it would certainly be noticeable. You can’t “upgrade” the cover on the special as far as I know because then you would be buying one of the two 9000 models (although they could confirm this with them because they are the ones who will provide the most accurate information about the options they have available).

I don’t know what the BE covers cost or the details of their profit margins or any of the other considerations that would go into how they price their mattresses but I know that the difference between the SleepEz 9000 models and their special would be partly because the special has a lower margin and fewer options for latex choices (which is why it’s a “special”) and also because of the lower cost of the cover. The lower margin is also why SleepEz offers a pillow bonus instead of the 5% discount to forum members on this particular mattress (see post #2 here).

More than anything though I wanted to get across that a cover can make a real difference in both the cost, feel, and performance of a mattress because many people only look at the foam when they are trying to “approximate” another mattress in terms of either performance or value and may be surprised at the difference a cover can make in both.

Since organic Dunlop is very similar to the natural Dunlop in terms of its feel and composition … the organic 9000 with two bottom layers of Dunlop and the 100% natural Talalay in the top 2" would probably be the closest equivalent in terms of how it feels and performs to the BE (if the ILD’s of the latex were the same and depending on the similarity of the covers) so you could ask SleepEz how their special would compare to the 9000 organic and the difference that the cover would make which would give you some meaningful information about how the special would also compare to the BE as well.

Phoenix