What bed sheets are you sleeping on?

We have had one set for 2 and a half years and they have not pilled yet and have held up really well. We love them. However I will say I picked up a second set for my wife 2 Christmas’s ago and she washed them before we even used them and for some reason they pilled. We did return them to BBB for a full refund and got the Egyptian sheets instead.

I was thinking on trying another set again just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

I recently picked up a set of Sheex “performance sheets” from home goods for $70. I had been looking at these for a while but couldn’t really justify the $150 price tag. Essentially, they’re made of a similar material to underarmour clothing-(spandex and polyester i believe). I’m pretty happy with them so far. They’re very soft and comfortable to lay on. The top sheet is fairly heavyweight but supposedly is cool in hot temperatures (won’t know until summer obv.) I’ve been very comfortable in them so far and have no complaints. I"m not sure I’d pay retail price for them but definitely worth the $70 i spent. They look like they should hold up very well over time.

I couldn’t decide on a quality set of sheets and needed some for my new mattress so I picked up some from Target for $42. Don’t really like them and I feel kinda sticky when I’m sleeping. I’m not sure if its because they aren’t breathable due to chemical treatments or some other reason. They do say wrinkle resistant. Anyway, still on the search for some good bedding. Thanks for the replies.

Hi sleepypeepy,

To name a couple brands I’ve seen mentioned here positively, in addition to those above:

• coyuchi (I suspect premium priced)
  • cozypure (I recall them having excellent prices for organic cotton, albeit natural color only)

One thing I don’t understand is how many sheets are either sateen or percale. To me, they are almost the same and have that smooth shiny paper-like feel; not really soft at all. I know every has their personal preference but it seems like they are everywhere. Any recommendations on sheets that are not sateen or percale or do they all come this way now?

Hi sleepypeepy,

As you probably know … sateen and percale are weaves that are usually used in reference to cotton but can apply to other materials as well. Sateen is usually considered to be softer than percale which has a more “crisp” feel.

It may be worth considering higher grades of cotton (such as Egyptian long staple or Supima) which are generally softer than cotton that has shorter fiber lengths.

If you’ve been testing cotton sateen and percale sheets it may be worth trying various types of viscose fabrics such as bamboo, micromodal, lyocel etc or cotton blends of these which tend to feel softer.

Cotton flannel or cotton jersey sheets may also be worth considering and are softer as well.

While it’s certainly not my area of expertise … post #7 here and the posts and information it links to also has more about different fabrics and sheet options that are available

Phoenix

1 Like

For the past 3-4 years, my favorite sheets were made of Lyocell (Tencel) and came from Downlite (which also sells thru Amazon at times). They’re silky smooth, soft, and exquisitely cool for those of us who tend to sleep hot. They’re also nicely over-sized and my two sets have held up well, wash after wash, for years, with absolutely no shrinkage.

2-3 years ago, I bought a new set of Legends sheets (from The Company Store) at a great price on ebay, I didn’t start using them until last summer, and found that I really like them - they’re sateen, but seem to get softer with each wash and are probably the highest quality sheets I’ve ever had.

When I bought a Dunlop latex bed last fall, for the first time in my life I was sleeping cold all the time. I got some good flannel sheets for Christmas, and altho I’d never slept on flannel and didn’t even like the idea, I love these sheets. One set is Garnet Hill’s signature flannel, which are thick and soft and made in Germany. The other set that I picked up on sale after Christmas are Supima cotton, also from Garnet Hill, and are even softer and a bit larger than the signature flannel. I like both sets, but if I were to buy another set it would be the Supima cotton flannel sheets. They’re both expensive unless you find them on sale, at least by my standards.

One thing I read about flannel is that to help stop it from pilling the first wash should contain a cup of distilled white vinegar - no detergent. I’ve washed both sets of my flannel sheets twice now, and there’s not a pill to be found.

I tried jersey sheets last fall, and just don’t like the feel. I used to love 100% bamboo sheets (technically, rayon made from bamboo), but after having a couple of sets shrink to the point where they barely fit my daughter’s full size bed (they’re queen size sheets), I gave up on bamboo.

I did buy a set of Coyuchi organic sateen pillow cases from Sierra Trading Post on sale a few weeks ago, and wasn’t impressed with them. They’re not as nice as the Legends sateen, and if I’d paid more than $10 for the set of cases, I’d be unhappy about it. I’m not really inclined to pay extra for that word “organic”, although words like “Supima” and “Egyptian” are likely to get me to pay a premium when it comes to cotton.

Makes me smile to see the amount of love for Linen sheets in this thread, in the grand scheme of things linen is very rare and special so its great to see a high % of people love them here :slight_smile:

Clawdia I totally agree, even as a person who really loves organic products when it comes to cotton you cannot make high quality cotton sheets out of low quality cotton fibres organic or otherwise. Of course you always want to make sure you are getting the genuine article which is sometimes difficult to do.

I also really like wood fibre sheets like Tencel/Modal. We have a line of really high end women’s lounge wear available to us called ‘Back Label’ made in Italy, we are not selling it as of yet because I am not sure about selling clothing of any kind but I ordered a robe for my lady friend that is made out of LenPur which is made out of the bark and branches of pine trees so similar to Tencel, as well as 20% milk protein fibres. Feels crazy soft, hope she will like it :slight_smile:

Thanks for the post Clawdia, lots of good info. I think my biggest problem is wrapping my head around spending this much on bed sheets. I have to rationalize it in my head somehow, but after trying out this $42 sheet set from Target it makes me realize I’ll have to spend a bit more for quality sheets.

Has anyone tried these fitted sheets? https://www.egino.com/

The make cotton knit fitted sheets with 4% lycra. I’m looking to find the best knit, stretchy fitted sheet that won’t interfere too much with the feel of latex. A non knit cotton fabric simply ruins the feel for me and makes my latex feel rather hard. I thought these looked interesting, but pricy.

Sleepypeepy, I agree, what a great thread to top my/your/everyones perfect mattress. Thanks for starting, and hopefully we can keep it in the ‘front page’.
I have recently purchased a couple types of sheet sets, one being bamboo/rayon d/t reports from the majority of its soft feel. The other is a ‘performance’ sheet set, similar to the Sheex performance sheets mentioned earlier. (I absolutely love my sheex! RunnerBoy they will endure.) I’ve had mine ~ 2 years now, and they are as well as the first day, no pilling, rips or tears. I found one had to, ‘get use’ to them though, as they are quite stretchy, (like the athletic apparel made from similar material). I found myself getting twisted up in them at first, but after awhile, no problem. Also, they are soooo soft and slick,(a combination of the supersoft,high thread count egyptian long staple,sateen weave cotton, and silky like slickness), that rough skin can catch on them, (heels). This serves as a reminder to tend to hygienic needs more and a bit of ‘sanding’ really helps. Even though it is a rather heavy fabric as mentioned, it does its job in ‘wicking’ moisture as I have not awakened in sweat even once as I use to do with cotton sheets, even on hot summer nights. In the summer, the top sheet is all I use as it provides plenty of warmth. I was sad when I switched to a queen size mattress only because I would need a new set of sheex, (which are $200.00 for king size), as I bought these for the King bed I switched from. To my surprise, I’m using them on my queen because the latex mattress I now have is heavy enough to keep the extra material firmly in place to create a tight fit on the bottom sheet. YEAH! I didn’t think of/discover this until after I ordered the other 'performance sheet set, but that’s cool, now I have two. The only negative comment I’ve heard is that these sheets retain odors like the athletic wear, but I have not noticed this myself.
After using the bamboo/rayon for a few days, and after daily washings, I have found them to be quite soft, but not flexible like the performance sheets, (which I find very beneficial with my adjustable base as the performance sheets will stretch and spring back leaving no wrinkles). The bamboo is more like the cotton in that I wake up sweating again. (yuck). I may end up giving them away.
I have an ‘Omniguard’ advance mattress protector from pureguard. It is very lightweight and thin, but has a bit too much of a plastic feel and noise when moving around. To tell you the truth, I may be switching this in the near future d/t that.
I have been tempted to try an expensive/quality egyptian long staple sateen weave cotton, but I don’t think I’ll move on that as my sheex are doing the job I ask very well.
For now, I’d have to recommend the Sheex, (expensive but worth it), or the cheaper off brand of performance sheets, (arrived the other day from overstock, but… wrong size). I did notice before I returned them that they were not as quality as the sheex, Stitching not as involved, elastic band around the fitted sheet thinner, pockets not as deep. But the material itself felt about the same as the sheex. If you suffer from sleeping hot, wake up in sweats, don’t like lying on wrinkles, and like the super soft feel with some satin type slickness; these are the sheets for you.

My favorite sheets are Cariloha Bamboo Sheets. I discovered these while traveling in NM last year, after one night in these sheets, I was hooked.
They are the softest and coolest sheets I have ever slept in.
I ordered directly from their website, the only downside is the price :ohmy:
But if you do not mind spending money on your mattress and bedding, then the 179$ price tag is well worth it.

cheers

Phoenix can you help verify if these are your sheets or not? Amazon.com.

Needing help with what are other affordable but soft and nice sheets.

Can you post a link to your sheets if those are not them.

Hi EZ4HZ,

They look the same as ours but we purchased ours from Costco.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: costco.com/400TC-Charisma®-6-piece-Queen-Sheet-Set-100%25-Egyptian-Cotton.product.100070117.html

There seem to be a lot of people that have had issues with them but we haven’t had any with ours.

Phoenix

Anyone ever heard of a 6 piece sheet set by Maison De Luxe linen? The package from tjmaxxx/home goods said its 600 count 100 Egyptian cotton. It was 60$ bucks but I can’t get any info on these sheets online.

Just want to give some feedback on some sheets. Be aware I’m not very objective here, as I get rather annoyed by sheets I don’t like.

This website claims LL. Bean sheets are amazing/best sheets ever etc: The 8 Best Sheets of 2023 | Reviews by Wirecutter

I have these exact percale sheets and just want to let people know they are not for me-- at all. I thought the lower 280 thread count would mean that they are lighter and more breathable than my other sateen sheets but this has not been the case. They are my heaviest sheets although they are my lowest TC sheets.To me, they don’t feel like cotton, I guess we all have a different concept of what cotton sheets should feel like, but these feel like they are heavily treated, and they feel like they have a very thin WAX coating on them that makes them feel awkward and unusual unlike any sheets I’ve tried… I thought washing them would help but it did not, they came out feeling like wax covered sheets still… All of this means they have the most effect on the feel of my mattress than any of my other sheets which I detest, and they are the heaviest sheets I have.
I never use these sheets, ever. They are a nice Ivory color I guess (a little bit on the salmon/pink side) but over all I hate these sheets and can’t understand why anyone would like them. Maybe if you like really heavy, slippery, wax covered feeling sheets then get these over priced sheets. 2/10 stars.

Dreamfit 4 Degree Egyptian Sheets 600 TC:
I give it 6.5/10 stars. These are pretty expensive at around $150 bucks for queen size. I have them in the Taupe looking color. I thought these were going to be the end all be all best sateen sheets EVER–they are not… I do use them occasionally to mix things up. Out of the packaging they have a very nice silky smooth feel. Again this doesn’t really feel like cotton to me, it feels like chemically treated cotton made to feel like silk, however, unlke LL. Bean these actually feel nice (they don’t feel like wax). They feel like a much higher quality version of the sateen Kirkland brand sheets sold at Costco, I owned those too and they were a waste of time and money. The problem with the Dreamfit sheets was that they lost the smoothness right after the first wash. They come out feeling noticeably more coarse, they lost their sheen, and they become a duller, less smooth, less soft version of themselves. They also don’t breath the best but that’s how it is with sateen usually. I will say out of the box, they were the smoothest sheets I’ve had although not the softest. They get some use here and there, they are nice, but they are not worth the price tag in my opinion.

I’ve tried many other sheets that I can’t even think of because they were either returned or thrown away or stored away or done away in one way or another…

My FAVORITE sheets that I bought cost $40 from Burlington Coat factory. I did not think at all, that I would like “name brand” sheets but I bought a set of 300 TC Cotton sheets made by Nautica from Burlington store, and these are my most used sheets by far. Package doesn’t even say if they are Percale or Sateen, but I think they are Percale. I love these sheets and they are like 1/4 the price of the other sheets I’ve bought. They actually feel like cotton to me (not silk, not wax, no chemicals). They are softer than the Dreamfit, but not as smooth when you run your hand across. I prefer this feel. They breath better, they maintain their feel after several washings, they have a beautiful Ivory color and when they lay on the bed they have the aesthetic appeal of linen sheets draping across your bed. They have that very slight sheen that linen sheets have that looks natural and healthy which I prefer over the boisterous sheen of sateen sheets made to look and feel like silk. They also wrinkle up in a way that is really reminiscent of linen sheets (obviously I like linen sheets and the way they look). I also have bought other random sets of sheets based only on the way they felt to me (meaning I didn’t know what brand it was, did not do any research on the brand, did not read any reviews) from TJ MAX/Home Goods and Burlington and II use those WAY more often thann my expensive LL. Bean and Dreamfit sheets that I bought based on online recommendations and reviews. There’s plenty of nice sheets at these discount stores, some of them are designer, some are name brand, some are brands I never heard of, but if you look hard enough you can probably find that perfect cotton sheet that you imagined in your dreams would cover your bed.

Although I love the Nautica Sheets and another set I got from Tj Max that I dont know the brand of, I don’t think cotton will suffice for summer, so I’m looking toward Bamboo or LInen for summer. For Linen I already know where I want to buy from ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: eBay Home

Their linen comes from Belarus and has the same weight and comes from the same mill in Belarus as the much more expensive linen sold by Sofia’s LInen on Amazon. I even contacted Sofia’s linen and they told me there is probably little difference between the two brands, and that Sofia’s was more expensive mainly because of the fees they pay to import etc, where as this ebayer ships from Europe to your home and saves you money. When I contacted them they could barely speak English which speaks to their European authenticity am I right? Apparently LInen is like a national luxury for Belarus, and they have only one mill that produces it and I trust this little ole European mill with my lien purchase. Rough Linen is too expensive, seems pretty much unethically priced, but I guess if you are rich then yeah go for it. Of course I have no clue if it actually is unethically priced or not, but man that is EXPENSIVE linen.

Now for Bamboo sheets I"m consdering fiberelement.com for what appears to be some nice bamboo sheets, but I’m afraid I may be getting duped the same way I got duped by Dreamfit— A nice webpage, some nice advertising, alot of good online press and reviews, blah blah blah… I’ll probably buy it anyway.

In all of this there IS a question:

What sheets do better in summer do you think? LInen or Bamboo? Which is more ABSORBANT? I tend to sweat alot for a smaller person and I don’t want my sweat soaking into my latex/memory foam mattress

Edit addtional: I bought a pack of Sateen Peacock Valley sheets from Burlington-- Sandpaper sheets, never again.

I love linen I have a Rough Linen bottom sheet and pillow slips. I also have some Pottery Barn linen sheets. The Pottery Barn ones are thinner, so I doubt they’ll last as long, but I like them a lot. I also like the cotton Essential sheets from Pottery Barn. They’re super soft. I have a Cozy Pure mattress protector, and lately I’ve been sleeping with a West Elm Ruffled and Ruched quilt.

Hi EZ4HZ,

Thanks for your feedback about the sheets you have tried … I appreciate it.

The temperature regulating properties of different fabrics are the result of a combination of moisture wicking, absorbency, breathability, and thermal conductivity and if you take a combination of all three there is little doubt that flax linen would be more temperature regulating (and more durable) than bamboo or other viscose/rayon fabrics.

In terms of absorbency by itself … both of them are very absorbent fabrics (some sources give the edge to one and some to the other) but absorbency is also affected by the thickness, density, and weight of the fabric so I would say that in most cases linen sheets would have the edge here as well.

Phoenix

Good! Just threw down 200 on some linen. Will give feedback later. Belarus linen.

Hi EZ4HZ,

I’ll be very interested in your comments about the linen sheets you purchased. At their price I would keep my expectations low about their quality but it would be a nice surprise if they were in the same quality range as some of the other linen sheets that are a little more costly.

There is a good article here about linen that may be of interest as well.

There is also some good information about linen here.

There are also some discussions and comments about linen sheets in this topic and this topic and in this topic.

Phoenix