What Compares to Tempurpedic Cloud Allura?

I tested king mattresses tonight including Tempurpedic ($3000 range) Cloud Luxe Cloud Allura ($4000 range), and OMF’s Latex and memory foam mattresses.

I also tested several Serta iSeries and Sealy Optimum series for comparison.

I Loved the Cloud Allura ($4000 range) and Sealy’s Optimum Inspiration ($2600) the most.

What Latex beds are similar in your opinion?

Tempurpedic Rhapsody WAY TOO FIRM, FYI, for me.

I LIKE the way memory foam feels, though I WANT to find a latex bed I’ll like.

Thoughts?

Also, I live Alone and worry about flipping or moving mattresses myself. I would need lighter layers I could handle if it came via UPS.

Hi dmartin1910,

Latex is a completely different material from memory foam (and they are more opposite than similar) so I don’t think there is a latex mattress that would be similar. Post #2 here has more about the differences between them.

If you are considering buying a latex mattress I would test some local latex options so you have some reference points for different types and firmness levels of latex mattresses.

Post #12 here has a list of some of the better online manufacturers and retailers that sell memory foam mattresses and some of these sell memory foam mattresses that approximate the Allura and use it as a reference point that may be worth considering if you have tested the Allura and it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP.

Phoenix

Thanks so much. I really value your knowledge. I DID read Post#2 already as well as the “starter”. Everything I READ made me align with the idea of latex, especially Talalay as it can be softer, plusher than Dunlop due to the manufacturing method. I really liked the idea of being more dust mite resistant, cooler, and made with less chemicals, which I would be laying next to for at least 6 hours. .
I wanted to get away from synthetic coverings, or bamboo fabric made with so many chemicals to get it soft. I would love a top layer of wool and organic cotton for moisture-wicking, heat control and fire-retardance vs so many chemicals.
But testing about 15 different beds at 3 places last night (Tempurpedic & Stearns & Foster beds at The Mattress Firm, the Latex bed and Memory Foam bed at The Original Mattress Factory, and about 3-4 different options of the Serta iComfort and Sealy Optimum, plus another Stearns and Foster at JCP Home Store. I kept gravitating towards the memory foam “feel” even though I wanted to like the Latex more based on my research on MANY of the threads I reviewed in this forum (Thank YOU for this source!). And of course they didn’t meet my preferences for moisture wicking and fire-retardance materials.

I liked the OMF Memory Foam OK…maybe 6/10 where the Tempupedic Cloud Allura was a solid 9/10, Cloud Luxe 7/10, and surprisingly the Sealy Optimum Inspiration was a solid 8.5/10, though $2000 less than the Allura. BUT…I WANT to stay away from major brands and what is certainly lower quality materials used to achieve that feel based on everything I have read.
I’ve just started calling some of the places on Post#12. My concern is getting that subjective “feel” of those two preferences out of the 15 or so tested last night in an online purchase.

Where in Atlanta/Kennesaw/Marietta should I test better Memory Foam options to the “Big Brands”? Even with a guarantee you usually have to “eat” the return shipping, and it could take 3-4 back& forths and 3-4 months to give each a fair sleep trial compared to trying one for 15 minutes on a showroom floor that’s already broken in (knowing I would have to give my bed time to get broken in - 30 days- once it’s delivered).

Hi dmartin1910,

The choice of materials is a personal preference and some people prefer memory foam over latex as well as the other way around. One of the most important reasons to test different materials is so you have a reference point for which types of mattress you prefer. You may also be able to find a mattress that uses a combination of thinner layers of memory foam and latex in the upper layers which would have a “feel” that was a combination of both (a fast response material over a slower response material or the other way around).

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here. Since “feel” is subjective and relative to the perceptions of each person and the most difficult part of a mattress to duplicate or approximate … when you are making an online purchase this would be one part of a more detailed conversation before a purchase. It would also be a good reason to make sure you are clear about any options you may have after a purchase to exchange either a mattress or individual layers or that the manufacturer or retailer has a good return policy if the “feel” of a mattress is most important to you and is significantly different from what you are comfortable with.

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Atlanta area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix