What do you think of this mattress?

Hi Manimal,

I believe this is a mattress offered from Zinus, as many of the other Lazy Cat mattresses advertise “Green Tea”, which is commonly used by Zinus. Zinus has a Chinese factory and owns many brands which are often sold through big box stores and through various outlets under many names. These include Spa Sensations, Night Therapy, Vivon, Mattress in a box, Keetsa, and others. They are often lower density foams, but some like Spa Sensations and this particular Lazy Cat seem to use some better materials.

The base is 7" polyfoam that has channels/pads engineered into the top of it. You stated the density is 1.8-1.9 lb, so this would be a density appropriate for most individuals. This layer is not listed as CertiPUR-US certified on the Lazy Cat site, but it is listed as being certified on the amazon page. On top of that is 1.5" of Natural Dunlop latex (they don’t state if it is 100% NR or a blend, nor are any certifications listed). This would be a better material. On top of this is 1.5" of what I believe to be a “high-performance polyfoam” that is 2.8 lb in density, which is CertiPUR-US certified. There is more information about these “high-performance polyfoams” and their characteristics in post #2 here.

I would also read post #6 here about mattresses imported from Asia or China and which may have been compressed for long periods of time in either shipping or storage before being purchased and a forum search on Zinus (you can just click this) will bring up more information and feedback about some of their brands and mattresses. Being sourced in China make this somewhat of a risky purchase IMO.

This is a fabric treatment that has been around since 2013 from HeiQ and used in mattress ticking by Bekaert. It uses body heat to assist with humidity control. As with many mattress fabric treatments, the efficacy of such technology can be diminished by the use of top-of-bed products placed on top of the mattress.

Yes, it is difficult with the language barrier to discern what is actually being used. There were a few threads here and here describing some sort of a glass FR barrier that seemed to be used in Chinese mattresses, and someone made a complaint to the CPSC here about something similar, but I don’t know if that is the same as what is being described in your conversation. You’d probably want to acquire more accurate information.

Yes, I’d have more comfort in the accuracy and the componentry used in the Brooklyn Bedding BME.

Phoenix