What Fabric Material to cover Foundation for King Foam Bed?

I’m looking at building a frame for our new foam bed (Novosbed King) and am curious what others have used to over their DIY King size foundations? I know Novosbed offers a cover with their foundations but I haven’t been able to find the cover sold separately online. Can others suggest what to use to cover the base, or should I just leave it open?

Hi VAnMan2014,

You may have read this already but there are some blueprints for DIY foundations and bedframes in the foundation post here that may be useful.

If the wood you are using is sanded or smooth and there isn’t a risk of wood splinters or sharp edges catching the mattress then you won’t need a fabric covering but if you do choose to use one then it can be anything from a box spring encasement (such as one of these) to a more costly fabric (cotton makes a good “default” choice) that you wish to use for aesthetic reasons.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix. I do plan on buying some nicer wood, that won’t have splinters, ect. If I plan on having my foundation sit directly on the ground. Is it recommended to have a cover or is it better to leave it fully vented? I know the covers do offer so venting, and prevent some dust and other little critters from entering the bottom of the bed, but just want to be sure. Thanks!

Hi VAnMan2014,

Depending on the height of your foundation I think most people would prefer to use it on a bedframe or use bedlegs on the foundation so that their sleeping surface isn’t too low.

While I don’t think you will find any “recommendations” for a foundation on the floor … if it was me I would tend to use a dust mite proof encasement to prevent dust and dust mites from taking up residence (see post #2 here). Most manufacturers that make mattress encasements also make foundation encasements that are often a little less costly.

Phoenix

I plan on using the blueprints from “Lucky8926” plan and was thinking a 2x10 plus the height of the 11" foam mattress would be high enough. (I’ll have to measure when I get home) We’re upgrading from a Queen size mattress to a king, and our current bed frame (ikea malm) won’t accommodate the newer mattress, nor will our budget :frowning: Have you seen any members build a foundation and add bed legs to them later? I’m wondering how sturdy that’ll be and if it’s been done on here before with a 100lbs mattress?

Thanks for that I’ll read over the thread. I’m sure I can find what I’m looking for on the site :slight_smile:

Hi VAnMan2014,

I haven’t seen anyone use them with a DIY foundation that I remember but they certainly have with a normal wood foundation and if the foundation you are building is structurally sound with good center support then the bedlegs in any height you prefer should be fine.

Phoenix