What is a fair price for these Models

Ignoring variances between businesses, what is a ballpark fair price for the two mattresses below?

1. Magnolia - Magnolia Mattress - Custom Comfort Mattress
    double sided
    open coil innerspring
    3 layers tufted staple cotton, 1" natural dunlop, 1.5" quilted polyfoam (each side)
    queen size, mattress only
    list price is $4595

2. Bodhi w/4" dunlop topper - Bodhi Mattress - Custom Comfort Mattress

double sided
open coil innerspring
3 layers tufted staple cotton (each side)
4" dunlop topper
list price is $4980

Image of innerspring attached

Hi lantern71,

[quote] Ignoring variances between businesses, what is a ballpark fair price for the two mattresses below?

double sided
    open coil innerspring
    3 layers tufted staple cotton, 1" natural dunlop, 1.5" quilted polyfoam (each side)
    list price is $4595

double sided
open coil innerspring
4" dunlop topper
list price is $4980[/quote]
Iā€™m not entirely sure of what you are asking here ā€“ Both mattresses are Custom Comfort offerings, so the ā€˜ballpark fair priceā€™ would be whatever they actually charge. These are both made by Heritage but appear to be exclusive to Custom Comfort; if you are asking if these are worth the price, I can answer thatā€¦ both mattresses seem to be premium priced. I have never tried either of them, but they seem to be well constructed but I do not see any info on the density of the polyfoam layer for the Magnolia or detailed info on the components of the Bodhi. This can indicate inexpensive materials or insufficient density, but thatā€™s not necessarily the case here; Any mattress I see without details of the construction and materials used can be a red flag, These both have certiPUR cotton and Dunlop latex components, so they are likely fine and will be durable mattresses over time.

It really depends on how you feel: if you have tried these and feel they are personally comfortable for you, it comes down to what price you think is fair. I will say that beds similar to these are offered by the Trusted Membersof the siteā€¦if this construction is comfortable for you, you may want to look through their offerings as you could find a similar product for a lower price. These are all transparent in the construction and materials used and have excellent customer service; some may be able to match the ā€˜feelā€™ of the Magnolia or Bodhi if you tell them you liked them.

Neither are outrageously priced, but it comes down to a consumersā€™ budget and what they are looking for in a mattress and how it fits yourPersonal Value Equation as discussed in Phoenixā€™s post. Possibly some of our forum members who have used the Magnolia or Bodhi can also weigh in on their experiences.

Hope this helps,

~ Basilio

[quote=ā€œBasilio post=93065ā€]Hi lantern71,

[quote] Ignoring variances between businesses, what is a ballpark fair price for the two mattresses below?

double sided
    open coil innerspring
    list price is $4595

double sided
open coil innerspring
4" dunlop topper
list price is $4980[/quote]
Iā€™m not entirely sure of what you are asking here ā€“ Both mattresses are Custom Comfort offerings, so the ā€˜ballpark fair priceā€™ would be whatever they actually charge. These are both made by Heritage but appear to be exclusive to Custom Comfort; if you are asking if these are worth the price, I can answer thatā€¦ both mattresses seem to be premium priced. I have never tried either of them, but they seem to be well constructed but I do not see any info on the density of the polyfoam layer for the Magnolia or detailed info on the components of the Bodhi. This can indicate inexpensive materials or insufficient density, but thatā€™s not necessarily the case here; Any mattress I see without details of the construction and materials used can be a red flag, These both have certiPUR cotton and Dunlop latex components, so they are likely fine and will be durable mattresses over time.

It really depends on how you feel: if you have tried these and feel they are personally comfortable for you, it comes down to what price you think is fair. I will say that beds similar to these are offered by the Trusted Membersof the siteā€¦if this construction is comfortable for you, you may want to look through their offerings as you could find a similar product for a lower price. These are all transparent in the construction and materials used and have excellent customer service; some may be able to match the ā€˜feelā€™ of the Magnolia or Bodhi if you tell them you liked them.

Neither are outrageously priced, but it comes down to a consumersā€™ budget and what they are looking for in a mattress and how it fits yourPersonal Value Equation as discussed in Phoenixā€™s post. Possibly some of our forum members who have used the Magnolia or Bodhi can also weigh in on their experiences.

Hope this helps,

~ Basilio[/quote]

I am aware these are well built and premium priced.

I was looking for a response more along the lines of itā€™s not worth paying more than ā€œxā€ given the components and alternatives in the market. For example,ā€¦ Custom Comfort charges $4365 for a queen 6" natural dunlop core and a 2" natural dunlop comfort layer on each side. A number of competitors sell the same thing for ~$1500. Add a rough % for overhead (say 40%) and $2100 is about what I would consider a fair/competitive value proposition.

As for mattress details, most are listed in the OP. These models are also made in house. ā€œHeritageā€ is name of the product group for marketing purposes. The poly is 2lbs. The one component I am unsure about pricing for is the offset innerspring. .

Maybe Phoenix can chime in, but I was just looking for a back of the envelope evaluation of the value proposition.

finally go this to upload. Attached photo shows the innerspring and materials above, which vary a bit based on model. Ignore the springs in bottom right corner. Thatā€™s not applicable to these units.

Hi lantern71,

[quote] I am aware these are well built and premium priced.

I was looking for a response more along the lines of itā€™s not worth paying more than ā€œxā€ given the components and alternatives in the market. For example,ā€¦ Custom Comfort charges $4365 for a queen 6" natural dunlop core and a 2" natural dunlop comfort layer on each side. A number of competitors sell the same thing for ~$1500. Add a rough % for overhead (say 40%) and $2100 is about what I would consider a fair/competitive value proposition.

As for mattress details, most are listed in the OP. These models are also made in house. ā€œHeritageā€ is name of the product group for marketing purposes. The poly is 2lbs. The one component I am unsure about pricing for is the offset innerspring. .

Maybe Phoenix can chime in, but I was just looking for a back of the envelope evaluation of the value proposition.[/quote]
Sorry my previous reply was not as concrete as you were looking for; as you know we have a lot more forum readers than posters, so we try to clarify and speak in general terms in forum replies so anyone reading along, or reading in the future, can completely understand the information presented. Unfortunately Phoenix is unavailable at the moment as she is taking care of other tasks, so if you will indulge me, let me clarify on my original answer.

As Iā€™m sure you are aware there are quite a lot of mattresses on the market that are even over $10,000; itā€™s difficult to assess whether these are ā€˜worthā€™ the money - obviously there are people purchasing them, but are they, for all intents and purposes, that much better? Without researching the actual structural components and calculating, based on market costs, how much a mattress is actually costing to source, build and manufacture and then figuring the profit, itā€™s almost impossible to compare. And then, value is subjective to the consumer as well, which is why I was a bit oblique in my original reply.

The main reason to buy a mattress in this range is because of personal considerations that are more unusual or unique and that often have less to do with value (as most people would define it), comfort, or support than with special features, materials, or designs that may be more important to a minority of consumers with more unique needs or challenges. At this price range you are paying for something which is rarely if ever ā€œnecessaryā€ and much of the time you may be overpaying as well. This is the range where ā€œstoriesā€ can become very expensive so it is even more important to differentiate marketing information from fact-based information. I would take great care to find out the truth behind any story that is used to justify a mattress in this price range since there are so many local, regional, and online manufacturers where you can buy a custom-built mattress to your personal specifications, using your choice of materials, ticking, and quilting, for less than this. For those people who are less price-sensitive and still consider this price range as reasonable then more exotic or costly materials, designs, and methods of construction, or even extras like, for example, ā€œgold impregnated threadā€ or ā€œessential oilsā€ added to a mattress are options that may be available. Many of these may be of questionable benefit or worse yet have no realistic benefit at all that will actually make a difference in terms of how well you sleep on a mattress or how long you will sleep well, so while there may be a few instances where this budget range can be justifiable for some people because of their special needs or preferences ā€¦ I would always make sure that there is a compelling reason to spend this much on a mattress that will actually make a difference that you can feel when you sleep on it. This is a budget range where for the most part higher prices are subject to the law of diminishing returns and would only have benefits or be worthwhile considering for a minority of people. I would categorize both these mattresses ā€˜Caveat Emptor, let the buyer bewareā€™ as, unless they strike a consumer as personally 100% more comfortable than anything else they have tried,
You can find mattresses of almost identical quality and construction for much less.

I hope this more fully answers your question,

~ Basilio