What is going on with my Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss Mattress?

First of all, I want to say that BB has superior customer service in my experience so far and has been very easy to deal with and very accommodating. I just wanted to get some independent opinions on what is going on.

I purchased their bamboo bliss king size latex mattress with dual comfort layers, both of ILD 28 (lvl 5) back in January. Just recently, I have been waking up with my lower back kind of hurting. I contacted BB customer service and they told me to switch the comfort layers with my fiance and see if it would happen with the other comfort layer she was sleeping on. Same thing happened again, after 1 week, I noticed that the comfort layer on my side started becoming softer and more unsupportive and was waking up with lower back aches. And when I roll over to my fiance’s side, her comfort layers definitely feels more firm than mine.
Even though both comfort layers are the same firmness, my side always eventually becomes more soft and I sink into it more after a week. This really doesn’t make sense to me. I just hope the support layer on my side isn’t defective.

I am around 183, 6’0 tall and don’t have any history of back or health problems. The mattress is on 2 standard wooden box springs made for a king bed.

Any suggestions or opinions on what’s going on?

Thanks!

Hi TunaOnWhite,

[quote]Even though both comfort layers are the same firmness, my side always eventually becomes more soft and I sink into it more after a week. This really doesn’t make sense to me. I just hope the support layer on my side isn’t defective.

I am around 183, 6’0 tall and don’t have any history of back or health problems. The mattress is on 2 standard wooden box springs made for a king bed.

Any suggestions or opinions on what’s going on?[/quote]

Assuming there is an issue with the mattress (which may not be the case if your back issues are from some other unknown cause) I would follow a process of elimination.

You could check whether it was connected with any of the layers or components on your side of the mattress by rotating it 180 degrees so you sleep on your wife’s side (which is a good idea to do on a regular basis anyway … see post #2 here).

Another possibility is that there could be an issue in the foundation or support system under your side of the mattress which would be the next thing I would check.

Another possibility is that the mattress was originally “on the edge” of being too soft for you and that a little bit of initial softening (or uneven softening) put you over the edge (in which case it may be an idea to use one step firmer).

Hopefully one of these will identify and solve the issue.

Phoenix