What is the best, economical foundation for a Medium Nest Latex Hybrid Mattress?

Hello,
My wife and I really appreciate the advice on this site. Based on trying out mattresses and reading commentary here, we purchased a King Nest Hybrid Latex Mattress -Medium. I read through some of the foundation posts, but I couldn’t find discussion of hybrid latex mattress foundations. We have a King bed frame that doesn’t have slats.

We are switching from a innerspring matters and are struggling choosing a foundation and mattress protector. Our foundation wish list is:

1. King Foundation for less than $300
  2. Reasonably natural / organic - doesn’t have to be organic, but we liked that Nest uses non-toxic materials.
  3. This is more a question: Can different foundation add some firmness to a hybrid mattress? I’m a little concerned that our mattress might be a little too soft for me.

Protector wish list:

1. Natural (non toxic)
  2. Cooling or at least something that doesn’t add warmth
  3. less than $200

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!!

Hi ATLTiger,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you for the compliment, and congratulations on your new mattress! :cheer: You certainly chose something using good quality componentry.

Nest Bedding recommends a foundation system using slats that are not flexible and no more than 4" between the slats. There is more information about appropriate foundations for modern one-sided mattresses, and some of the site members who offer such foundations, in this post.

You would use two twin extra long foundations for a king size, and your least expensive option would probably be some sort of a metal wire grid network, but many of those will have larger gaps between the wire grids. A wood platform foundation certainly can work well, but within your budget range you may be challenged to find something that works with proper slat spacing. You’ll have to do some searching.

The only way that this would firm up a mattress is if you are currently placing your mattress upon a flexing support system, and then transition to a firmer non-flexing system. Otherwise, you may need to switch to the firmer version of the hybrid mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks! Really appreciate your time and advice.

For a newbie, would the safest option to spend a little extra and purchase this metal base from Nest? Bed Frames - Nest Bedding – Nest Bedding® Foundations & Bed Frames or the wood option aslo from Nest: Bed Frames - Nest Bedding – Nest Bedding® Foundations & Bed Frames

What are the advantages of a wood foundation versus metal? worth the price difference?

Are there any other non-toxic alternatives that you could recommend? I saw reference to a foundation from US boxsprings? Thanks again!

Hi ATLTiger,

Certainly both foundations would work for your current mattress. The wood foundation overall would be stronger. The metal foundation (Simple Life) can not be refolded once it is opened up. The wood foundation can be disassembled and moved. The US Box Spring foundation you mentioned would also be a good option.

I’m not sure what you mean by “non-toxic” options. “Toxic” is a term for poisonous substances produced within living cells or organisms, although the term is often used in the mattress industry (and often part of some “fear-mongering” campaigns), but I think I understand your point. Most people that are looking for “non-toxic” (toxicity is dose-dependent) materials are usually concerned most with “safety”.

As there is quite a bit of confusing information available online about toxicity, safety and organic, there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications such as Oeko-tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, C2C, and CertiPUR-US in post #2 here, and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and there are also some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons, or whether a “safety” certification is enough, and what those certifications can mean to determine whether the contents of any particular mattress are “safe enough” for you.

The most common foundations used for a one sided mattress are wood, metal, or a combination of both, and for most people they are considered “safe”. As far as all of the offerings out there, I don’t keep track of the thousands of foundation offerings available in-store and online, as that would be an impossible task for one person in a constantly changing environment.

Phoenix