What is the best mattress and topper combination?

We have had several mattresses over the years. Some were flippable. The lastest is not and is developing “groves” were we each sleep.
I am thinking that traditional “fat”, do-it-all mattress is not the right idea, since it is expensive to replace and keep fresh.
What are your thoughts about getting a medium priced, durable, relatively firm mattress and then get a cotton, wool, or feather topper in combination. The topper can fluffed, rotated, and even replaced at a relatively low cost. It can be replaced or returned if it does not have the right firmness.
This leads to the core question of what would be the primary considerations when purchasing a mattress if it were to be used with a topper from day one?

Hi willmorr,

You can see my comments about choosing a firmer mattress first with the intention of adding a topper later in post #2 here.

In most cases I would avoid this approach because of the uncertainty involved with two purchase choices instead of only one and choosing a topper that would be suitable in terms of thickness, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) for a specific person on a specific mattress can sometimes be almost as difficult as choosing a mattress that doesn’t need a topper in the first place. I would generally focus on choosing a mattress that is likely to be a suitable match without a topper (unless you can test the combination in person or you are purchasing both online as a “set” that is designed to work together and they both have a good return/exchange policy) and then use the option to add a topper as a “backup” strategy in case your initial choice is too firm and doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for rather than a “primary” strategy.

It can also be more costly than just buying a mattress which includes the same materials as the topper as a layer inside the mattress itself (vs having a separate topper) and you would be avoiding the risk of having additional materials in your base mattress that you may not need or that may be lower quality foam (that can soften or break down more quickly) or that may be softer than what would be ideal for a transition layer under a softer topper.

Having said that … if you do decide to try the mattress/topper strategy then if the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress then a good quality topper can certainly be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know for certain whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for both of you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination. If you can’t test the combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper and a link to the better online sources I’m aware of in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. A good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

As you mentioned … If a mattress/topper combination turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP then having a separate topper does have the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (which is very likely because the upper layers of a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time. A suitable topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it because it will absorb some of the compression forces that can soften or break down the top layers of the mattress underneath it over time.

I would purchase the mattress first so you can use your sleeping experience on the mattress as a reference point and guideline to decide on the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that would have the best chance of success.

Like any mattress purchase … I would also make sure that you can find out all the information in this article about any mattress or topper you purchase so you can compare them to the quality/durability guidelines here and make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links that could compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress (with or without a topper).

The best mattress/topper combination would be the one that is the best “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP, uses good quality and durable materials that are suitable for your weight range, and that uses the types of materials and components (including the type of topper) that you prefer regardless of whether the same choices would be suitable for someone else that has different needs or different preferences than you do.

Phoenix

Thank you very much.