What is the best twin mattress for a five year old girl?

I’m looking for a twin mattress for my five year old girl that is comfortable, safe, healthy for backs, and a good value (based on quality and price). The mattress will be used on a day bed (down the road,I might use it on a different foundation). I live in New York City and would like the mattress to last at least 10 years. I would like to stay away from mattresses that emit any odors. Is there a go to mattress for children? Any suggestions?

Hi NYCmom,

Post #2 here includes links to most of the better threads around the forum that discuss mattresses and children and they include links to many good options for children as well.

For local options … post #2 here includes the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around NYC and post #7 here includes a more categorized list that has more detailed descriptions for some of them.

Children generally need a firmer mattress than adults because their growing bodies don’t need as much “cush” and need good support. They also don’t need as much thickness because of their lighter weights.

Depending on how you feel about different mattress materials … innersprings, natural fibers, and latex are all good options for children’s mattresses. If you are comfortable with polyfoam in a mattress then I would make sure it was CertiPur certified for harmful substances and VOC’s. I would avoid memory foam for children.

Phoenix

Thank you for your direction. I’ll let you know how my purchase unfolds.

Hi NYCmom,

You have some good options available and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing.

If you have any feedback or questions along the way don’t hesitate to post them in the forum :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
I ended up selecting the Berkley Ergonomics “Healthy Kids Mattress” at Scott Jordan Furniture. I will let you know our thoughts once it arrives and my daughter sleeps on it.

As an aside, I was a little taken aback that I was misquoted in price by $100 on the telephone. The salesperson ended up giving a 15% discount. Strange that his math was off (initially he said the amount with the discount was better than the price I was misquoted): there was less than a $20 difference. The mistakes made me lose some trust in the retailer (are they truthfully answering my other questions???). I realize that the salesperson is just focused on closing the deal; at the same time, I’m surprised that the retailer would risk losing good will (especially over such a small amount of money).

What kind of waterproof mattress pad/cover/protector would you recommend for the Healthy Kids Mattress? I would like to ensure that the mattress is fully protected against accidents, water spilling or any other mishaps by a 5 year old.

Many thanks for all of your advice.

Hi NYCmom,

Congratulations on your new mattress first of all … and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear about the mixup with the pricing but based on my conversations with them they are certainly knowledgeable and will provide you with accurate information about their mattresses.

Since waterproof or at least highly water resistant is important it will really boil down to two options.

The first of these would be a thinner membrane type of protector that is waterproof and less costly but the membrane is also less breathable so it may interfere to some degree with the properties of any wool in the quilting of the mattress. There is more about these and some links to different versions and options in post #89 here.

The second option would be a wool puddle pad used on top of the mattress with either a thicker sheet or an additional stretch cotton mattress protector on top to help wick away, spread out, and absorb any accidents so that there is a lower risk of any liquids penetrating the puddle pad through to the mattress. If you go in this direction I would make sure you talk with the retailer or manufacturer about the thickness and how much protection the one they sell offers and for a child that isn’t wearing a diaper I would tend to choose a thicker one that is better at absorbing liquid vs a thinner one where the liquid may go through to the mattress over the course of the night if the accident isn’t caught early enough to remove it before it penetrates. The tradeoff is that these are more costly but they retain the benefits of sleeping on wool with good water resistance.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Thank you for the very helpful explanation of the mattress pads. I ended up selecting the NaturaProtect Deluxe Matress Protector (100% waterproof is very important to me).
We still haven’t received the Healthy Kids Mattress from Scott Jordan Furniture. The customer service has been very disappointing (not what you would expect from this kind of retailer). I’ll let you know how it unfolds.

Hi NYCmom,

That would be great. Have they given you an ETA?

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
The initial delivery date was last Tuesday afternoon (January 21st) . This was the only date/time that Scott Jordan Furniture was willing to deliver during last week (zero flexibility on their part). Scott Jordan Furniture was not able to get the correct insurance in place in time for my coop building to accept delivery and tried to pressure me to pick up the mattress curbside. Even if my building allowed it (which they don’t), it was inappropriate on so many levels. I called the store to express my dissatisfaction and emailed two salespeople - not a response from them whatsoever. The new delivery date is set for this Thursday afternoon (this was the only date/time during this week that they were wiling to deliver: nine days later, zero flexibility on their part, and inconvenient for me). In short, very disappointing service so far.
I’ll let you know how it unfolds.