What mattress or parts should I purchase to complete the system?

I have a 2" latex Queen topper that we purchased a number of years ago and want to use it with a new mattress at a different location.
Looking to get a a good value set up, the mattress will be used in our spare room for guests.
Most of the mattresses today have some builtin topper.
So should I purchase a cheap firm inner spring mattress and put this on top or can I buy parts via DIY and build a reasonably good mattress using the topper as part of the system?

Thanks

Hi Stev-O,

If you are planning to use your topper as part of a “sleeping system” in a guest bedroom I would tend to buy a lower budget base mattress that uses good quality and durable materials in a medium or medium firm comfort range and then you would have two options for your guests. One would be the medium to medium firm mattress for those that prefer firmer mattresses (perhaps back or stomach sleepers) or that tend to have back issues (a little firmer is generally better for back issues) and then you could add the topper for your guests that preferred a softer mattress.

If you are attracted to the idea of a DIY mattress then I would also build a medium to medium firm mattress and then use the topper on top of it for your guests that prefer a softer sleeping surface. The type of mattress you choose or the materials or components you use would be a preference choice … I would just make sure that you choose higher quality and more durable materials that won’t break down too quickly.

If you decide to go in the direction of a “finished” mattress for the base mattress I would first set your budget range that you are comfortable with and then follow all the steps in the mattress shopping tutorial to make a choice that is the best match for all the criteria that are important to you.

If you are comfortable with an online choice then the tutorial includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of as well (in the optional online step) and If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are close to you as well.

Some of the better online options I’m aware of that are in lower budget ranges are also listed in post #4 here.

If you do decide to go in the direction of a DIY “base mattress” then post #4 here includes the better online sources for mattress materials and components I’m aware of and there are some guidelines in option 3 in post #3 here about building a DIY mattress that would also be worth reading.

Phoenix

That was a quick reply!
I will study the links and decide what to do.
Thanks for your help!