What to put on top of 6" natural dunlop latex mattress

I am thinking of saving money and going with a 6" natural dunlop latex mattress and then adding a topper. The only disadvantage to this seems to be the possibility of slippage, and a shorter warranty on the topper. Are there any other disadvantages of going this route?

My husband and I are both side sleepers. Would you recommend a 2" natural talay topper (or 3")? I was also looking at the CozyPure LaNoodles topper. That one instead? Both? Thanks for any input.

Additional info: I like the feel of memory foam but want to buy natural latex for “green” reasons.

Don’t worry about layers moving around it’s a non-problem. I have a 12" layered latex bed. It was expensive and it is wonderful. My advice for side sleepers starting with a 6" dunlop mattress would be:

10 inch bed:

6" Firm dunlop and 4" of 4-5lb memory foam - cheapest
6" Firm dunlop, 2" med dunlop, 2" soft talalay - greener not cheaper…

12 inch bed:

3" HD Poly foam - 6" Med dunlop, 3" of 4-5lb memory foam
3" HD Poly foam - 6" Med dunlop, 3" soft talalay - if I need another bed…build it myself
3" Ext Firm dunlop, 6" Med dunlop, 3" soft talalay - wonderful…

Hope this helps…

If you like memory foam

Thanks for the ideas! I’ll have to look into a possibly “greener” memory foam topper…

Hi nylachai,

You can read some information and feedback about the Lanoodles topper in post #38 here here. It would be great as more of a “cush” layer to add some extra softness rather than a primary pressure relieving layer.

Green memory foam is somewhat of an oxymoron and there really isn’t any green or non petrochemical memory foam. There is also some memory foam where a small percentage of the polyols have been replaced with polyols which are synthesized from plant oils which some people would consider a small step in a greener direction (see post #2 here)

Phoenix

I have a 3" talalay topper on a very firm Sultan Edselle and it is working out pretty good so far, the only thing I would do differently next time is go all natural, so if price matters a 2" all natural would be about the same price as a 3" blended.

Thanks! I will try a pressure relieving layer first and see how that works.

I am planning on going with a natural topper - thanks for sharing your experience!

Hi nylachi,

I should have mentioned in my first reply that there are some topper guidelines in post #2 here and the posts it links to which also include some of the better online sources I’m aware of.

Phoenix