What topper brand is more plush and soft?

So after some good research my girlfriend and I both love the way the Tempurpedic cloud supreme feels and are going to get the Ultimate Dreams 13" gel mattress when I move in with her in December. In the meantime my back demands more softness then what my junky firm offbrand memory foam mattress now provides so I’m in the market for a good gel topper. I’ve got my eye on the Brooklyn bedding 4lb gel memory foam topper and I was wodnering if anyone knew how plush this one is? I’m trying to find something that will mimic the feel of the tempurpedic cloud supreme “feel” until I can get my new mattress. Many thanks!

Oh, And the cool rest 3" gel infused topper from “bedinabox” also caught my eye.

Hi timberghost,

I would make sure that their gel memory foam was 4 lbs or better. BIAB tends to use some low density memory foam (although durability may not be an issue for you).

I would be a little cautious with this depending on the layers that are alrready in your mattress. I’m not sure what your back “symptoms” are but it sounds like you are a back sleeper and if your “symptoms” are in your lower back than your mattress may already be too soft. The back isn’t usually an area that has pressure issues which is what a topper can help with. If you have a very thin memory foam layer over a firmer support core then you may be “going through” the memory foam layer and feeling the firmness of the polyfoam below it in which case a topper can help as long as there are no soft spots or impressions in your mattress.

The Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme has 2" of 4 lb memory foam and then 2" of 5.3 lb memory foam so adding 3" of 4 lb memory foam over what you already have in your mattress will likely not feel similar to the Cloud Supreme because the memory foam layers would be different and the type of memory foam would be different as well. Almost all memory foam is soft and 3" of 4 lb memory foam would certainly add a lot of extra softness … maybe too much if you are a back sleeper or heavier and your mattress already has several more inches of low density memory foam in the top layers.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

How did your week go?

I think the Biab topper is 4lbs foam but if I get one of them I think it will be the brooklyn bedding one unless you can point me in a different direction.
I sleep equally on my side and my back, maybe a little more on my side. I’m 6’2" and I weigh 190lbs. so I’m lean. My ebay mattress is very firm and I would get pain between my shoulder blades when sleeping on my back and aches in my hips when sleeping on my side. I added a 1" thick topper that my gf had laying around and that seemed to lesson my symptoms a little bit but I still am uncomfortable when I wake up in the morning and stiff.
No soft spots or impressions yet to the best of my knowledge. The topper my gf gave me also doesn’t feel like memory foam, its soft but , I want to say “spongy” like maybe its fast acting memory foam?? I just want something that conforms to me a little bit, lets me sink in a little bit and adds a little plushness/softness until I can get the new mattress.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions :slight_smile:

Hi timberghost,

Not much different from most other weeks … long hours, lots of research, and many interesting posts on the forum to reply to … except the week included my birthday so of course I also had a few “happy birthday” phone calls from people or family I don’t talk with as often :slight_smile:

Most of their mattresses use 3 lb memory foam so I would confirm this if you did go in this direction (see here).

This clearly sounds to me like your mattress is too firm (which probably means it has a fairly thin layer of lower density memory foam over a firmer polyfoam support core). Since you need some extra softness and pressure relief … the topper guidelines here and the posts it links to may help you choose the most suitable thickness. In general … it’s usually best to choose 'just enough" extra softness so that you don’t end up with comfort layers that are too thick and soft and replace a pressure relief issue with an alignment issue.

Phoenix