What would be your opinion on quality for these mattresses please.

Hi from Australia. Needing a new mattress and rather like the pocket spring designs for less partner disturbance and edge firmness. Looking at a company called Ozmattress. After reading a lot of customer reviews on this Australian made mattress company I would like your opinion on the two better mattresses offered. They detail the mattress layers in the website and video. Hubby is a hot sleeper on the edge of the mattress. Im a front or side sleeper with some existing lower back pain. Your impressions of the quality of the Supre and the Grand Master mattress from ozmattress would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi cath07,

The link you posted (I removed the link) leads to a web hosting site. If you could you add a link to the actual mattresses you are describing (and if they provide the details of the actual quality of the material instead of just listing the type of material) I’d be happy to give you my thoughts about them :slight_smile:

In the meantime … my reply to another forum member from yesterday in post #2 here has some information and links to other Australia threads that may be helpful to you.

Phoenix

Oh ok, sorry about that. This is the info on the mattresses and how they are built. Hope that helps. Let me know if it you can give an opinion with this information. Thanks in advance.
http://www.ozmattress.com.au/products/
http://www.ozmattress.com.au/technology/
http://www.ozmattress.com.au/comparison/

Hi cath07,

Unfortunately none of these mattresses provide enough details to really give a meaningful opinion about them. If I was purchasing either of these, the information I would want to know is as follows …

Supra:

Cover: I would want to know the type of fabric.
Quilting: I would want to know how the percentage of wool and what it was blended with.
Memory foam: I would want to know the thickness and density of each the memory foam layers (there appears to be two layers)
Latex: this is a durable material but I would want to know the type of latex (Dunlop or Talalay) and the blend (synthetic/Natural).
HD Foam: I would want to know the thickness and density of this layer.
Pocket Coils: These are probably good quality and would not likely be the weak link of this mattress but I am not a fan of polyfoam surrounds because they can delaminate and soften. It’s much better to have firm edges with firmer coils or other types of re-inforcements rather than polyfoam IMO which is usually a way to reduce costs although it can have some benefits. It would also be nice to know the coil gauge in each zone of the mattress and the number of coils.

Grand Master:

Cover: I would want to know the type of fabric.
Quilting: I would want to know the percentage of silk, wool, and polyester.
Memory foam: I would want to know the thickness and density of each the memory foam layers (there appears to be two layers)
Buckling Column Gel. This is a good quality and durable material. See this page. Test this to make sure you are comfortable with the feel of this material which is slightly unusual.
HD Foam: I would want to know the thickness and density of this layer.
Pocket Coils: These also appear to be good quality and have a “coil in coil” design which can improve supoprt. They would also not be the weak link of this mattress. Once again though I would make the same comments about the polyfoam surround and I would also want to know the coil gauges and count.

Once you have this information then you would be in a much better position to identify any potential weak links in the mattress (the part of the mattress that will soften and degrade more quickly than the rest). Because the coils are not likely the weak link of either mattress … it would be particularly important to find out the missing information in the layers above the springs.

Of course no matter what the quality of these mattresses turns out to be it’s important to make sure you spend enough time on them, completely relaxed, for at east 15 minutes and test both as specifically and as objectively as possible for pressure relief and for alignment and support as well as your other preferences. If a mattress isn’t suitable for your body type, sleeping style, and personal preferences (with any sleeping partner on the mattress at the same time) then no matter what it’s quality or value … it would have little value to you.

Hope this helps a bit … and hopefully they can and will fill in the information gaps that you would need to really know what you are buying.

Phoenix

Awesome reply, thank you so much. I will investigate further in the needed information to get a better overall picture. You provide such helpful advice Phoenix. Thanks so much.