What would cause this type of wear pattern?

Assuming it’s less than a few months old…

(I know it’s difficult to capture in a photo, but basically there’s a ridge in the middle and the two sides are sagging)

Hi wdfwguy,

Yes, it is difficult to analyze a product from a photo, but I can do my best by making a few general comments.

It appears you have the initial “breaking in” or “settling” of the foams on either side of your mattress where you are sleeping. There will always be some loss of false firmness in any new product, but I can’t determine the extent of this from your photo.

It’s possible some of this could be the result of the top quilt panel of your mattress being cut a bit too large. The quilt panel could also be loosely affixed to the border panel or the inner-flanges could be loosely affixed to your foam encasement edge reinforcement system. It could also be an issue of your foundation flexing too much (I’m not sure what you are using underneath your mattress) and this could be contributing to this sag. It could also be the result of lower density foams/fibers used in a mattress and these could be taking a bit of an initial set as well.

If this is more of just an initial settling of materials, you could try to sleep a bit more in the center of the mattress and see of that ends up evening things out a bit. If it is the result of lower quality foams or an improper foundation, this won’t make too much of a difference.

The wrinkling in the ticking in the upper middle of your mattress would more than likely be a result of a tension issue of the quilt machine when your ticking was being joined with the quilt foam and FR fibers to form the quilt panel at the mattress factory.

I believe from your earlier posts you were approaching a higher BMI range, so these issues can be exaggerated a bit and it is of course important that you choose a product using more durable materials.

I know these are more general statements, but from a photo that’s about the best I can offer.

Phoenix

While it looks mostly like the mattress itself is at fault here, sometimes frames can cause elevations or dips, especially if you have a split box spring configuration. A lack of support under the joining of the box springs or too high of support can cause the feel of dipping or trenching. Slats over box springs tends to help with an even feel, at least in foam bedding.

Hi diynaturalbedding,

Thanks for your contribution!

Phoenix

I bought the mattress from a local manufacturer and I’ve returned it twice. Both times it was “fixed” but after sleeping on it for a couple of weeks it’s worse than in the picture above.

Any suggestions?