What's the difference? Brooklyn Bedding

First, thank you so much for this forum! I have learned a great deal in the last two days. I have narrowed down my search to two mattresses. But I am running into trouble knowing exactly which model they each are and what the difference is.

One mattress is the Brooklyn Bedding 10" Memory Foam Mattress for 289. The other is Brooklyn Bedding 10" Ultimate Dreams Gel Memory Foam Mattress for 421. The links are below at the end of this post.

The latter seems to be the same mattress found on the DreamFoam website called “Ultimate Dreams” with a 4LB top and 1.8LB base layer. However, I am unsure what mattress the first one is at all. I know the title doesn’t say gel or ultimate dreams, but what other mattress could it be and what are the specs? I tried talking to Chuck at DreamFoam but he didn’t know.

I’m also a little concerned that the second one is not a current model year DreamFoam Ultimate Dream. Chuck mentioned that they had recently upgraded from 1.5 to 1.8LB base layer. I know 2.5 is considered minimum, but I’m not finding anything in my budget with a 2.5LB base and 4LB top. But I’m hoping 1.8 is close enough.

If there are any other suggestions that would be OK too. I currently have a deal to get 50% off my purchases at Sears.com so that’s one of the reasons I was looking at these two models.

ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: sears.com/brooklyn-bedding-10inch-memory-foam-mattress-size-full/p-SPM11152896715?prdNo=42&blockNo=42&blockType=G42 | Archived Footprint 2: sears.com/brooklyn-bedding-10inch-ultimate-dreams-gel-memory-foam/p-SPM11152899215?prdNo=21&blockNo=21&blockType=G21

Hi skierinvermont,

[quote]One mattress is the Brooklyn Bedding 10" Memory Foam Mattress for 289. The other is Brooklyn Bedding 10" Ultimate Dreams Gel Memory Foam Mattress for 421. The links are below at the end of this post.

The latter seems to be the same mattress found on the DreamFoam website called “Ultimate Dreams” with a 4LB top and 1.8LB base layer. However, I am unsure what mattress the first one is at all. I know the title doesn’t say gel or ultimate dreams, but what other mattress could it be and what are the specs? I tried talking to Chuck at DreamFoam but he didn’t know.[/quote]

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to “fine tune” a mattress or the exchange/return options that are available to you).

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel for someone else or how two mattresses will compare in terms of comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) … outside of PPP (which is all about how well you will sleep on a mattress) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is it’s durability and a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it (which is all about how long you will sleep well) regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

Amazon hereAs you probably know … Dreamfoam and Brooklyn Bedding are sister companies and while I’m not certain … I would guess that the Brooklyn Bedding 10" memory foam mattress that you linked was just listed as a “Brooklyn Bedding” mattress instead of a Dreamfoam mattress and would probably be the same as the Dreamfoam sold on . If this is the same mattress then you can see some comments about it in post #5 here but I would be cautious if it uses 3 lb memory foam (although you would need to confirm this with Dreamfoam) because while it’s certainly good quality/value in it’s budget range … 3 lb memory foam would generally be a weak link in the mattress. I would generally avoid 3 lb memory foam or any lower quality/density foam in any layer thickness more than “about an inch or so” regardless of the manufacturer unless you have absolutely no other options available because of severe budget restrictions or unless the mattress was for temporary or occasional use such as a guest bedroom. Even then I would consider a non memory foam mattress that was in the same or a lower budget range that used higher quality and more durable “non memory foam” materials (such as the Arctic Dreams mattress here) unless for some reason you are absolutely committed to a memory foam mattress.

The Brooklyn Bedding 10" Ultimate Dreams Gel Memory Foam Mattress would almost certainly be the same as the DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams 10-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress listed on Amazon here. This mattress uses 4 lb gel memory foam and has a 1.8 lb polyfoam base layer so it uses higher quality and more durable materials and as long as you aren’t in an unusually high weight range which would do better with higher density and more durable materials yet (more than the lower 200"s or so) then there are no lower quality materials or weak links in this mattress relative to your weight range that would compromise durability.

I would also keep in mind that if you order any of the Dreamfoam mattresses that are listed on their site then they have a 10% discount off the prices that are listed on their site (or Amazon Dreamfoam fulfilled prices) and they also have a better exchange/return policy than Wayfair as well. Wayfair has a 30 day exchange only policy that costs $149 and Dreamfoam has a 45 day trial period that allows you to return the mattress for a refund for a cost of $99 if a mattress you purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly include Arizona Premium) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Wow, I don’t know why I was not able to find that myself. I will probably be going with the higher end model then. My main reason for buying through Sears is that I have 50% off which is too good to pass up. Otherwise I might be going with a signature 12" from Walmart for budget reasons. I’m kind of looking forward to getting my first decent mattress because of this discount. I will give latex and other foams another look but right now the 10" Ultimate Dream is looking like my best option. Unfortunately the arctic dream you linked isn’t sold through sears.

Hi skierinvermont,

Assuming that you end up pulling the trigger … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You’re 50% discount certainly makes it even better value!

I also hope you have the chance to share your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out and sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Unfortunately neither the dreamfoam 12 in 1, tuft and needle, nor #bestmattressever are sold through sears. If I could get 50% those I would probably spring for them, but it sounds like I’ll still be getting a decent mattress. Thanks for your help, and I will definitely post my experience.