What's the Difference? My Latex Mattress Hunt

Dear Phoenix,

I have spent HOURS on this site, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for saving me from several huge mistakes.

We have decided to purchase a latex mattress. My main concern is non-toxicity, and my husbandā€™s main concern is price (not very compatible concerns!) Thankfully, after much research, I feel very comfortable with any kind of latex mattress, but prefer organic wool as ā€œflame retardantā€ and organic cotton cover.

Having gone to all of your recommended online vendors, I am confused why there is such a huge price difference between similar mattresses. This is what Iā€™ve found (all are 9-10 inch Kings, with customizable firmness in layers):

Can you help me understand the difference? Are the cheaper ones lower quality latex in some way?

Thank you so much for your help.

Without going into a lot of detail, in some cases (I think) you are comparing different types of latex. Some are Talalay, others are Dunlop. In the case of the Spindle you listed, it is Dunlop which is less expensive than Talalay. With the SleepEZ ā€¦ it could be all Talalay if you wanted it to be.

Hi merz28,

As MrM1 mentioned they have different designs, different covers, and different types and blends of latex or other materials and different options available both before and after a purchase. There is also more about some of the many factors that can affect the price of a mattress in post #14 here.

There is also more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons.

You are looking at some great options and none of them have any weak links or low quality materials in their design but you have a considerable amount of narrowing down to do and one of the most important parts of this process will be more detailed conversations on the phone with each of the options you are considering.

Phoenix

Thanks for responding MrM1,

I should have put all the details in about what was Dunlop or Talalay, but most of them have Dunlop cores and Talalay top layers, and they still vary widely in price. I see you are correct that the most expensive (Mygreenmattress) is completely Talalay. But I think all the rest are dunlop bottom layers with talalay tops. Then there are those such as SleepEz or SleepingOrganic, which allow as you say any configuration of Talalay/Dunlop, but the price remains the same no matter which you pick.

Anyway, all that makes me wonder if there is anything else (or in addition) to explain the big price difference.

I was told by Tess at sleepingorganic that there is not much difference in comfort between Talalay and Dunlop, but that Talalay can have a slightly softer feel. So, Iā€™m inclined to think it couldnā€™t possibly be worth paying $1000 more just to have Talalay?

Any other insights on why the prices vary so much? Many thanks!

Thank you Phoenix. I will look at those links.

It is my understanding that Latex is Latex and most of it comes out of just 2 or 3 major manufactures - Latex International and Radium Latex being the major players. I have asked Phoenix before and believe I understood him correctly to say that with latex there are no various ā€œGradesā€ or ā€œQualitiesā€ such as a Silver grade and a Platinum grade latex. Itā€™s just either all natural (more expensive), blended (Synth and natural usually 70/30) and all Synthetic (which would be the lowest costs) AND either Dunlop (less expensive) or Talalay.

So If mattress factory ā€œAā€ uses 3"s of blended Radium Latex Talalay latex with an ILD of 22 in their $3000 mattress, it would be the same Latex if mattress factory ā€œBā€ used 3"s of blended Radium Latex Talalay latex with an ILD of 22 in their $1800 mattress.

Why the difference in prices? I dunno? Business Model? Cost of extra upgrades such as Types of covers, foundations, etc. I know in talking to Valarie at Mattresses247 that there is about a $200 retail price difference between the Quilted Cotton Cover she had at one time, and the Quilted Bamboo cover she is currently selling with her latex.

As to the differences between Talalay and Dunlop, I think that would be a personal choice. But I think that in an ILD of say 26 Talalay will be softer in the same thickness and same cover.

Thanks MrM1! Thatā€™s good information.

Foam Sweet Foam says this on their site: ā€œFrom talking to customers, we have learned companies that sell only Dunlop will degrade the Talalay and companies that sell only Talalay will degrade the Dunlop. There are lower qualities of Talalay and Dunlop. If the sales reps are impartial, they should tell you.ā€

What do you make of that?

Thanks.

Hi MrM1,

This certainly isnā€™t correct at all!

There are many ā€œversionsā€ of latex and there is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Talalay latex comes from either Radium or Latex international and is available in either a blended version or a 100% natural version (which is more costly) and a few others as well such as gel infused Talalay, graphite infused Talalay, and even slow response talalay.

Dunlop latex is either made in a mold or with a continuous pour process and there are many different blends of Dunlop latex as well. Dunlop is made by many manufacturers around the world and there are many suppliers of good quality Dunlop latex.

All of these come in a wide range of firmness levels and mattresses that use them come in a wide range of designs and with other components (such as the cover) that can also play a significant part of the cost and the feel and performance of a mattress.

There is also more about the general differences between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here.

Phoenix

Hi merz28,

I think itā€™s not only a matter of latex but also a matter of the company involved. Different things that would be factored into the final price would be the latex itself, the quality and cost of the cover, the service and policyā€™s for exchange and returns, warranties etc. In that list of mattresses and companies thereā€™s likely an option for almost everyone (provided they like the feel of latex).

As I understand, thereā€™s different blends of latex ranging from all natural to full synthetic in itsā€™ liquid form. The talalay and dunlop are curing methods and have a difference in feel in the final product. Talalay being whipped with air is generally more ā€˜bouncyā€™ while dunlop is more dense. Thereā€™s also continuous pour dunlop which can make for a slightly different feel from molded dunlop. When it comes to price, things that can make the price go up are talalay because it involves more steps to creating the final product than dunlop. Continuous pour is a more efficient method than individual molds (much like assembly line is more efficient than hand making a product) so it can result in lower materials cost.

If organic is important to you, then it may involve more labor intensive processes to achieve organic status, cost of certifications, higher cost materials. Organic in most any venue is more ā€˜specialtyā€™ - like organic foods which require special pesticides (organic, not chemical/synthetic). They may not be as effective at protecting crops, so you have to factor in more loss but with the benefit of avoiding chemicals. Organic certified latex (a natural grown product) will cost more, organic cotton or wool transferred to an organic cover will cost more etc.

One company may offer a free comfort exchange (built into the final price), where another charges a nominal fee (offsetting cost more to those who require that feature). It may depend on length of warranty. Some may offer pick up of your old mattress and disposal and include in home delivery and setup (more of a white glove service) where others may deliver your mattress in boxes and leave you to assemble it yourself and itā€™s up to you to dispose of your old mattress.

Starting with the latex, it would be a good idea to try out latex in person if possible and try out different builds. All talalay, talalay over dunlop, all dunlop and see which feels the best to you. Which one ā€˜fitsā€™ you best is the best construction option. Then you can consider the cover options. Some people like a thick wool quilted or cotton quilted cover, others like a very thin cover that puts them closest to the latex itself. Selecting how organic or natural the materials are would depend how important it is to your own ideals. Comparing ā€˜serviceā€™ might help you decide also. For myself, organic wasnā€™t highly important and I took the risk of purchasing a lower cost mattress - and in doing so, Iā€™m left to dispose of my old mattress, have no real exchange options and a short warranty period. Then again, the next person might not find saving a few hundred dollars worthwhile in contrast to giving up a lot of those options.

Thinking of it in terms of car sales and service (something most people can relate to), there are tons of options. Not just which car you end up with, but are you ok with having to provide your own maintenance? Would an included 1yr of factory maintenance be more appealing? If dealing with a somewhat grease covered mechanic would be off putting to you, maybe a nicer place with a service manager who is clean and well groomed dealing with you in a quiet well furnished waiting room with a television, snacks and beverages would be more appealing. Or maybe it wouldnā€™t matter to you, you simply want your car fixed and donā€™t wish to pay extra for the perks. Part of that would be reflected in the price since it requires more work on the part of the dealer or shop to provide those things. Neither is ā€˜rightā€™ or ā€˜wrongā€™, itā€™s about what youā€™re comfortable with.

Thanks Brass, that is very helpful. We arenā€™t afraid of hard work, so eliminating higher-cost mattresses that come with a ā€œwhite gloveā€ service might be where we start. As for organic, Iā€™m not so concerned that the latex is organic as the cover materials, so that is another way to narrow down our choices.

Thank you Phoenix, for your clarification. Would I be right in assuming that ā€œ100% Natural Dunlopā€ and ā€œ100% Natural Talalayā€ from any of the sources I listed are pure latex, and not blended? All of the beds I listed (except two) are made of these ā€œ100% Naturalā€ latex foams.

Hi merz28,

If they are listed as ā€œ100% naturalā€ and they are accurately described (which they would be with the manufacturers you listed) then you can safely assume that all the rubber used to make the latex layers would be natural and there would be no synthetic rubber used to manufacture them. Having said that ā€¦ there are also other non rubber materials that are needed in the latex compounding formula that are used to foam and manufacture latex so the actual natural rubber content in the final latex core will never be 100% and would always include other substances that are needed to make the latex. The rubber content would vary from as low as about 80% (for 100% natural rubber that used higher amounts of fillers) up to a percentage that was in the mid to high 90ā€™s.

Phoenix

We ended up buying this mattress from sleepingorganic. Maybe Iā€™ll update this thread in a few weeks with our review! I really appreciated Tessā€™s knowledge and helpfulness.

And I VERY much appreciate the $130 discount we got for being members of this forum!

Thank you Phoenix,
Meredith

Hi merz28,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice ā€¦ and I hope you have the chance to share your comments and feedback once youā€™ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

I think you did well!

Phoenix